Container Gardening

5 posters

Go down

Container Gardening Empty Container Gardening

Post by ReadyMom Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:57 pm

Container Gardening
http://modernsurvivalblog.com/survival- ... gardening/

Container Gardening has its advantages. The container can be moved to wherever it is convenient including the sunny spot of a mostly shaded yard. The ideal sunny spot in your yard may not be conducive to an in-ground garden. That is, your perfect garden location with the best sunlight may be located on a slab of concrete, or in a rocky area of very poor soil quality for example. Placing a container garden in that spot is a perfect solution.

Being in a container, the plants and roots will be protected from pests and critters which dig through the ground such as ground moles or gophers. If you are renting your living space, and if you decide to move, you can simply take your garden with you. In short, the container garden method is simple to set up, easy to maintain, and is a great way to produce some food for you and your family.

One thing to remember though, is you will have to pay closer attention to watering the soil in a container garden since it will dry out quicker. It helps quite a lot to add a few inches of mulch on top.   ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Container Gardening Empty Re: Container Gardening

Post by Dave58 Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:36 pm

I'm going to try growing inside this winter. We have a extra room that we do nothing with and some extra lights that i'm not using in my shop. I'm just not real sure what to try yet

The closest I've come to indoor container gardening is a small dish of basil sitting on my window sill! Embarassed

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:23 am

Dave58 wrote:I'm going to try growing inside this winter. We have a extra room that we do nothing with and some extra lights that i'm not using in my shop. I'm just not real sure what to try yet

The closest I've come to indoor container gardening is a small dish of basil sitting on my window sill! Embarassed

Dave, several year ago I started/planted 4 tomatoe plants in the garage over winter, they grew to about 5 feet tall. I had them under lights, not growing lights, they did get blossoms on them, but then they all fell off and I ended up with just a plan plant.

If you do decided to grow something, you may want to invest in regular growing lights.

I often think about putting in a large step out picture window in the garage and growing something, but I'd rather invest the money in LTS. Good luck and let us know if you do grow something this winter and how it turned out for ya. Cheers2

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:01 pm

Dave, here's a good article from better homes and gardens about what type of lights to use indoors for plants, hope it's helpful to ya:

https://www.bhg.com/gardening/houseplants/care/choosing-plant-grow-lights/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:53 pm

Hmmm...maybe a grow light is what I need. Since I moved the herbs into the cabin, they're looking peaked. They are in a south window, too.

The orange tree and the lemon tree are thriving intheir southwest corner.

The tropical/low sun plants look good, too - hoya carnosa, aloe vera and angel-leaf begonia.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:08 am

Yeah, grow lights are a must. I have two of the AeroGarden systems with LED panel lights and I've been able to grow lettuce, cherry tomatoes, and herbs with no problem. Regular plants in the house don't do too well in the winter, but the extra light from the panels makes all the difference. And if your plants can take it, putting mylar reflectors around the growing area will increase the amount of light they receive from whatever you're using. I did that to increase tomato yields on one unit, but haven't bothered with the other one that I use for lettuce or herbs.
Also, if you're growing anything that flowers, remember you need to tap the flowers or maybe cross-pollinate depending on the plant. Tomatoes are happy with just tapping them, but some others might need more handling.

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:16 pm

Does anyone know of a small aqua-ponic system? Is that the right term? No soil, plants grown in water?
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:23 pm

Hydroponic gardens don’t need soil.

Sent from Topic'it App

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:41 pm

Aquaponics is a mix of hydroponics and fish farming. As ReadyMom stated, hydroponics don’t use soil. Usually seeds are put in a plug of growth medium to keep it in place while the roots are either constantly submerged or periodically flooded (ebb and flow system.) by adding fish farming you get protein as well as produce, but the systems can be hard to keep balanced. If you can keep the system working you just add fish food and the plants are fertilized from the fish wastes. Elegant solution.

My AeroGatden units are technically an ebb and flow hydroponic system since the roots of the plants aren’t submerged all the time, well not until the plants get really big and the roots start filling the bottom of the grow bowl. I’ve never tried aquaponics...and I’m not sure how well I could keep that going post event...hard enough in normal times.

Hope this helps.

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:17 am

I guess you can call this container gardening.

Salad from garbage:

https://www.almanac.com/blog/gardening-blog/salad-garbage

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:15 pm

I just put 6 key lime trees in soil, inside a plastic box with a lid, that salad greens come in. This is how I started the other lime trees that the cat ate when they got about 6 inches high. I'm hoping this time I can keep them safe from the cat. My lemon tree that came from a lemon I bought at Walmart is about 4 feet high right now. Here's hoping the limes grow.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:06 am

Trash Can Potatoes
http://allaboutfoodstorage.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/trash_can_potatoes.pdf

Want a fun, low on space way to grow potatoes? Grow them in a garbage can!
With either a new a garbage can (or a used one that is super-clean), drill several 1/2 drainage holes in the bottom and on the sides close to the bottom.
In the bottom of your garbage can, place   ---CONTINUED---

** Cross Posted over in 'Growing Specific Foods' thread--Growing Potatoes

Admin

Violet likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:22 am

Grow a Potato Farm in Buckets
http://fivegallonideas.com/potato-farm/

Container Gardening Potatoes-grown-in-buckets1   If you had to, you could live on almost nothing but potatoes. That’s made them one of the most important crops in human history. Entire civilizations would not have existed without them. And you can grow this powerful food crop in a 5 gallon bucket.   ---CONTINUED---

Arrow-Right  CROSS POSTED in "Preparation Guidelines :: Gardening :: Growing Specific Foods & Plants :: Potatoes

Admin

rick1 and Violet like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:51 pm

25 Fruits and Veggies You Can Grow in Buckets
https://urbansurvivalsite.com/fruits-and-veggies-you-can-grow-in-buckets/

Container Gardening A691836e0070faa102f7c799e2a68ab5   Do you live in an apartment or a house with a small backyard? Have you always wanted a garden but don’t have enough space? There’s a solution: Bucket gardening. All you need are some 5-gallon buckets, rocks, peat moss, planting soil, and compost. That might sound like a lot, but it’s actually very simple.   ---CONTINUED---

Last edited by ReadyMom on Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Admin

rick1, Dave58 and Violet like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:09 am

Grow Food In 5 Gallon Buckets – 15 Fruits & Veggies That Thrive
https://www.ruralsprout.com/5-gallon-bucket-garden/

Container Gardening 5-gallon-bucket-veggies.jpg   (SNIP) ... One of the most obvious ways to use these reclaimed containers is to grow food. There are a wide range of fruits and vegetables you can grow in 5 gallon buckets.

In this article, we’ll take a look at some of the most popular options, and give you some tips and tricks to help make sure you meet with success.    ---CONTINUED---

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:43 am

Self Watering Planters – DIY Demo, How They Work, Tips for Use
https://commonsensehome.com/self-watering-planters/

Container Gardening Self-watering-planter Self watering planters make growing any potted plant easier. In this post, we'll explain how they work and answer some common questions. We'll also show you how to make them, and share tips for using the planters. Don't have time to make your own? We also list some popular ready made planter options. Let's get started! ---CONTINUED---

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:55 pm

Well, I'mm trying to grow corn salad in a colander and bowl system. When we visited Germany, corn salad is their "lettuce". It tastes wonderful and I wanted to try to grow it here.

I planted seeds last year but if they germinated, I don't know about it - it is possible the birds got them, as the birds were in the containers one day.

Now, I'm trying to sprout the seeds, and then perhaps, transplant. We'll see what happens.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

rick1 and Dave58 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:07 am

Growing Food in Buckets: A Step by Step Guide
https://urbansurvivalsite.com/growing-food-buckets/

Container Gardening Ngcb11 Growing your own groceries in five-gallon buckets allows you to raise enough food to feed a family of four in a tiny space. When growing food in buckets, you don’t need a 1/4 acre backyard to raise a bountiful garden as some people claim. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:03 pm

My sister's little container garden is doing well - her chives and onions are already coming up. Not sure what she has in the other pots. We check on it every day as we pass it to walk the dogs.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

ReadyMom and rick1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Wed May 04, 2022 12:39 pm

A Dozen Vegetables You Can Grow in Pots
https://www.familyhandyman.com/list/a-dozen-vegetables-you-can-grow-in-pots/

Container Gardening Shutterstock_544301377 You don't need a massive plot of land to enjoy the spoils of a great garden. Growing your veggies in containers maximizes garden space and allows you to move pots to a sunny spot for better production.

To say there’s a large selection of garden containers available for sale these days is an understatement. (SNIP) ... there’s a pretty big selection of vegetables that like growing in those pots. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:19 am

Container Gardening: How to Grow Food With Limited Space
https://www.theorganicprepper.com/container-gardening-grow-food-with-limited-space/

Container Gardening Getty_1186305687 Container gardening is ideal for those with little to no garden space. Even if you live in a condo or apartment and are limited to your patio, you can still produce many different vegetables.

Anything that can be grown in-ground can be grown in a container garden. This writer has grown potatoes, squashes, greens & herbs, pumpkins, cucumbers, and even tomatoes in containers. In this article, I’ll discuss the different types of containers I’ve used, what I like & don’t like about each, and what’s best suited to grow in each type. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:45 pm

My container garden was only partially successful. The exotics I bought have grown and survived OK. Part of that problem was due to neglect with Husband in the hospital and then the followup care/doctor's appointments. But all the exotics survived and I plan to improve their pots by re-mediating their soil before winter sets in.

The stuff I planted from plants I bought did...OK. I got one poblano pepper off 3 plants, a handful of jalepenos off 4 plants, and handful of banana peppers off 6 plants. I also got a handful of cherry tomatoes, but nothing else despite the plants being healthy. The onions and chives did well, though.

We only got about 6 cucumbers, and no squash. Most were eaten by the wild animals. The tomatoes turned yellow and dropped off before they ripened.

The peach tree was stripped bare of peaches when they were about the size of large marbles. The animals didn't wait for them to ripen or grow, they just ate them as they were.

I am learning more and more each year despite the disappointments. Smile
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down