Fire Starters-General Info & Other Misc Starters

2 posters

Go down

Fire Starters-General Info & Other Misc Starters Empty Fire Starters-General Info & Other Misc Starters

Post by ReadyMom Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:52 pm

Fire Starters
http://www.lovetheoutdoors.com/camping/tips/firestarters.htm

Experienced campers know that having more than one option to start a fire is almost always necessary in the outdoors. While waterproof matches and butane lighters are your best option in most scenarios, they’re not necessarily always available. This, of course, is why a little fire building knowledge and material will serve you well in a fire-necessary situation.

Before delving into fire starting itself, it’s important to cover a bit of safety first. As a rule of thumb, always dig a pit or use rocks to create a boundary for your fire. Without a flame retardant surrounding, the odds of your fire burning out of control are much greater. Secondly, be careful about the placement of your fire. Never set it up directly under low branches, and always allow more room if it’s windy. Remember that even one small ember suspended in the air carries risk.   ---CONTINUED at LINK---

Last edited by ReadyMom on Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:44 am; edited 2 times in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Fire Starters-General Info & Other Misc Starters Empty Re: Fire Starters-General Info & Other Misc Starters

Post by ReadyMom Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:37 am

How to Start a Fire With a Water Bottle
https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/how-to-start-a-fire-with-a-water-bottle/

There are countless ways to use everyday items to make a fire in survival situations. From short-circuiting cell phone batteries to refracting light off the bottom of a soda can, makeshift techniques using what you can scrounge up from your environment can save your life. Creating fire with a water bottle is similar to making a fire with a magnifying glass: the water bottle acts as a lens that focuses sunlight into a super-bright point which quickly heats up paper or other tinder to the point of combustion. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Fire Starters-General Info & Other Misc Starters Empty Re: Fire Starters-General Info & Other Misc Starters

Post by ReadyMom Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:40 am

9 Ways To Start a Fire Without Matches
https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/9-ways-to-start-a-fire-without-matches/

There is a primal link between man and fire. Every man should know how to start one. A manly man knows how to start one without matches. It’s an essential survival skill. You never know when you’ll find yourself in a situation where you’ll need a fire, but you don’t have matches. Maybe your single engine plane goes down while you’re flying over the Alaskan wilderness, like the kid in Hatchet. Or perhaps you’re out camping and you lose your backpack in a tussle with a bear. It need not be something as dramatic as these situations — even extremely windy or wet conditions can render matches virtually uselessly. And whether or not you ever need to call upon these skills, it’s just damn cool to know you can start a fire, whenever and wherever you are.   ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:10 pm

How to Start a Fire in the Rain: An Illustrated Guide
https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/how-to-start-a-fire-in-the-rain-an-illustrated-guide/

Knowing how to start a fire is one thing; knowing how to do it in the rain is a whole other. Whether you’re a frequent camper, or an avid hiker, it’s an important skill to have. In an emergency situation, it may very well be the difference between life and death, as fire provides not only warmth, but food as well. (Note that cutting bark from a tree should in fact only be done in an actual emergency, as this can damage and even kill the tree.) Follow the tips above and you’ll never be without the skills to start a fire, even on a damp and rainy adventure.   ---CONTINUED--- with illustrated guide

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:25 am

Traditional Firestarting – Part II: Fire from Friction
https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/traditional-firestarting-part-ii-fire-from-friction/

(Snip) ... To create a fire you need heat, fuel, and oxygen. The heat is supplied by friction between the spindle and the hearth board. The fuel is supplied by the hearth board eroding and creating punk: fine, dark brown powdery stuff. The oxygen is provided by Mother Nature. Simple as that. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:21 pm

10 Fire Starting Materials You Probably Have At Home
https://survivallife.com/fire-starting-materials-home/?utm_source=sl&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=slnl20171126&utm_content=p2

You probably don’t realize just how many items you have at home that you can use as a fire starter. It’s important to know which item is effective as a fire starter so you’ll be able to carry one or two of these fire starting materials wherever you go. Check out our top picks for fire starting materials in the list below!   ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:01 pm

How to Make Your Own Survival Fire Putty (with styrofoam)
https://patriotcaller.com/how-to-make-your-own-survival-fire-putty-aka-napalm/

Fire Starters-General Info & Other Misc Starters Napalm  Whether you’re in a SHTF situation or you simply find yourself lost in the woods during a rain storm, it will always be important to make a fire quickly in less than ideal conditions.

Fortunately, we’ve got a way to start a super quick, blazing fire in any kind of nasty weather conditions (it also works like a champ when you want to impress your friends).

We call it “survival fire putty,”  ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:08 am

How to Start a Fire Without Matches
https://www.thereadystore.com/diy/121/how-to-start-a-fire-without-matches/

Fire Starters-General Info & Other Misc Starters Start-fire-without-matches   If you find yourself in need a fire, but you don’t have a lighter or matches there are a number of options you can turn to in order to get a fire started.

The most common match-free method used involves magnesium, flint and steel. Lens-based options are common, too. Fires can also be started using friction, steel wool and certain batteries, or even by using a soda can and a chocolate bar. In any of these methods it’s best to have dried tinder in order to build the fire and keep it going. Tinder is any dry substance that readily takes fire from a spark, such as dried leaves, plants, or pieces of wood.   ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:36 pm

10 ways to start a fire from idea hacks:

https://www.ideahacks.com/how-to-start-a-fire/

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:48 am

The Survival Pencil Sharpener?
https://survivormedic.wordpress.com/2013/04/24/the-survival-pencil-sharpener/

Fire Starters-General Info & Other Misc Starters Pencilsharpener001   Awesome survival gear doesn’t need to cost a lot. A simple pencil sharpener is incredibly useful when it comes to starting fires.   ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:50 am

Best Easy To Use Fire Starters
https://www.backdoorsurvival.com/best-easy-to-use-fire-starters/

Fire Starters-General Info & Other Misc Starters 124-768x1024 Fire starters are a basic survival tool that everyone should have. Matches and lighters are great and all but matches get wet easily and the waterproof type are not as readily available. Lighters require fuel or in the case of a disposable, have a very limited life.

(SNIP) ... Below are some examples of proven fire starters that are affordable and fit into a small space. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:45 am

There's a variety of things related to fire starting that are sampled in this video! Love this guy ... he makes me laugh Laughing

5 Survival Gadgets That Will Blow Your Mind!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtevQJ7YVoc

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:06 am

Converting A Zippo to Burn Alcohol: Can it be done?
https://www.backdoorsurvival.com/converting-a-zippo-to-burn-alcohol-can-it-be-done/

Fire Starters-General Info & Other Misc Starters IMG_9951 Matt and I were talking about Zippo lighters a while back. Later on Matt did some research on converting a Zippo to burn isopropyl alcohol. One site suggested it could be done with switching the wick out. Other articles suggested it couldn’t be done. Well Matt wanted to know why exactly if would not work. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:37 pm

No matches, no problem, 79 ways to start a fire:

https://homesteading.com/how-to-build-a-fire-firestarting/

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:41 pm

Come on Baby Light My Fire
http://selfrelianceadventures.blogspot.com/2009/02/come-on-baby-light-my-fire.html

Fire Starters-General Info & Other Misc Starters Stuff+to+burn   Are you singing my title yet? Wink

Yesterday morning we played with fire. Yep, matches, lighters, flint and steel, magnesium/steel, battery and steel wool, whatever fire we could find or make.

Here's my disclaimer again: I'm no expert here, but I love a "scientific" study and hands on testing, so we put some firestarting methods to the test. There is a lot of information around on making your own firestarters and what to have in your fire making supplies, and since I only want to carry what works I thought I'd do a little testing. Here's a few of the items along for the experiment: Road flare (sorry, we didn't light this one), 9 volt battery and steel wool, 3 different lighters, matches, flint and steel + char cloth, a fireplace log (didn't light that either since I know they burn), hand sanitizer, firestarter made from rolled up cardboard dipped in wax, dryer lint, cotton balls, firestarter made with dryer lint + wax + egg carton, and a magnesium and steel firestarter. We found a safe place in the dirt to make our fires and got started. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:28 pm

TAMPON FIRESTARTER, WATERPROOF !!
https://www.instructables.com/id/TAMPON-FIRESTARTER-WATERPROOF-/

Fire Starters-General Info & Other Misc Starters FB8JGZCJ98R9XPE.LARGE   Have a bunch of tampons (unused !!!) lieing around from your ex or from your younger days?? Well, its a simple and top firestarter for your camping, EVEN ON WET DAYS!! ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:46 pm

Starting a Fire: Fresnel lens
https://modernsurvivalonline.com/starting-a-fire-fresnel-lens/

Fire Starters-General Info & Other Misc Starters 31eryQOQq4L._SL500_AA300_ Starting a fire is one of the most rudimentary basic activities that a survivalist/prepper must be able to do. Whether for cooking, warmth, light, or protection – building a fire is critically important.

One method of fire starting I have utilized over the past year is the fresnel lens. Basically a large magnifying glass – the fresnel lens can gather the suns light and focus it to a very small and intense spot – generating tremendous heat. No doubt many of you as kids used a magnifying glass to catch some leaves on fire – this lenses works much the same way. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:00 am

5 Simple DIY Fire Starters
https://www.thereadystore.com/blog/5-simple-diy-fire-starters

Fire Starters-General Info & Other Misc Starters Fire-starter-toilet-paper-roll   It's that time of year when people head up into the mountains and spend their time enjoying good conversations around the campfire, going on hikes and shooting cans. Being in the great outdoors also allows us to test what we know about being more self-sufficient. For instance, how to start a fire with a limited amount of resources. To help, we will be highlighting 5 simple do-it-yourself fire starters that are inexpensive and easy to make before your next trip. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:19 am

6 Ways To Start A Fire Without Lighters Or Matches
https://urbansurvivalsite.com/ways-to-start-a-fire-without-lighters-matches/

Fire Starters-General Info & Other Misc Starters 6-ways-to-start-a-fire-without-lighters-or-matches-pin-1  

Table of Contents

There Are 3 Fundamental Approaches
   Tinder 101
   Implementing the Methods: Friction to Glowing Coals
   Implementing the Methods: Sparks
   Implementing the Methods: Concentrated Heat

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:29 am

How to Build a Fire Even If The Wood Is Wet
https://urbansurvivalsite.com/build-fire-wood-wet/

Fire Starters-General Info & Other Misc Starters How-to-build-a-fire-even-if-the-wood-is-wet-pin-1-1 (SNIP) ... Knowing how to build a fire even if the wood is wet is a very valuable survival skill, so you should look at a rainstorm as an opportunity to practice your skills. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum