NATIONWIDE Emergency Alert Test: 10/3/18

+2
Cinnamon
ReadyMom
6 posters

Go down

NATIONWIDE Emergency Alert Test: 10/3/18 Empty NATIONWIDE Emergency Alert Test: 10/3/18

Post by ReadyMom Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:50 pm

Emergency alert test going out to mobile phones nationwide
https://www.abc27.com/news/national/emergency-alert-test-going-out-to-mobile-phones-nationwide/1492731671

WASHINGTON (AP) - About 225 million electronic devices across the United States will wail and buzz Wednesday afternoon as the Federal Emergency Management Agency conducts an emergency alert test.

A tone will sound at 2:18 p.m. EDT, similar to that of an Amber Alert or flood watch warning, and the subject of the alert will read: "Presidential Alert" and text will say: "THIS IS A TEST of the National Wireless Emergency Alert System. No action is needed."   ---CONTINUED---

I'll be getting my hair cut. It'll be interesting to see how many people get this message and how they react. Keep any eye out, if you are out & about. Tell us what you saw. How people reacted.

Admin

Back to top Go down

NATIONWIDE Emergency Alert Test: 10/3/18 Empty Re: NATIONWIDE Emergency Alert Test: 10/3/18

Post by Cinnamon Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:01 pm

Oh, cool! That sounds interesting, if I am out and about, I will note reactions...
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

NATIONWIDE Emergency Alert Test: 10/3/18 Empty Re: NATIONWIDE Emergency Alert Test: 10/3/18

Post by Dave58 Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:21 pm

Did anybody hear anything about the test ??

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:44 pm

Husband had a doctor's appt. today and took the cell phone. He heard about the test on the radio in the car. He says a few minutes later, he heard the traditional "emergency tone" but he didn't turn it on to hear the message as he was driving.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:16 pm

I was at the hairdresser and all of a sudden phones started buzzing. A couple of people started asking ‘what’s that’? My hairdresser actually turned and looked out the window to see the weather! When I told her what it was she said she was looking out the window because she thought it was weather and she was confused because she didn't hear anything before going into work and it was really nice out! I could hear other people asking what it was.

I thought that this one sounded different than weather alerts. Don't know if I can explain it. The weather alert tones are usually a ‘lighter’ sound and short bursts. This was a deeper, stronger sound and the individual duration of the sound burst was longer. (Think of the Morse code for an example of what mean ... the difference between dots & dashes). All I can say is this sounded deeper, a bit longer, more robust. But, I think I hear sounds more acutely. I can hear high pitched sounds, like the alarms, as you go into a store. Usually I have trouble with the deeper sounds (like a man's deep voice over the phone). Did anyone else notice a difference in the alert sound?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:42 pm

I was at the Pinball Hall of Fame in Las Vegas at the time and didn’t notice the alert until I left, even though I knew to expect it. Glad there wasn’t a real emergency while I was in there! Razz

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:19 am

I was a bit disappointed they did not repeat the nationwide alert test, this year. None of my phones received it last year, though, so maybe they did it and I didn't know? (I doubt it, since no one talked about it.)

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:23 am

TRex2 wrote:I was a bit disappointed they did not repeat the nationwide alert test, this year.  None of my phones received it last year, though, so maybe they did it and I didn't know? (I doubt it, since no one talked about it.)
No test that I know/heard of.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimLE Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:39 pm

I've been seeing the test on tv.at least once a week since then..

but just like the 2 of you.not on the phone.

expect the worst. Hope for the best. And capitalize on each situation the best you can..

“Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an example unto you to follow us. For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat. For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies.”
jimLE
jimLE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down