dmwalsh568
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ebola-General News & Updates - Page 2 Empty Re: Ebola-General News & Updates

Post by dmwalsh568 Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:52 am

And the news continues to get worse:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-48603273
BBC wrote:A five-year-old boy in Uganda has died from Ebola, health officials have said.
The death is the first in Uganda, amid a deadly outbreak in neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo. Officials said his grandmother and younger brother also had the disease.
The Ugandan government is now reporting seven suspected cases of Ebola.

@WHOUganda wrote:"The young patient - 5- year-old index case of #Ebola died last night. Two more samples were sent to UVRI and have tested positive. We, therefore, have three confirmed cases of #Ebola in #Uganda"- @JaneRuth_Aceng

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:58 pm

Even in good times, it would be hard to shut down this Ebola outbreak, since the region has a fairly mobile population and fairly substandard medical infrastructure.

Add to that, Boko Haram, which does not mind using the epidemic as a tool of warfare, and a populace that is largely distrustful of western medicine, and the epidemic is all but unstoppable.

In that region, that is.

In the parts of the world where modern medical infrastructure is in place, the only variable is the willingness of the society to isolate anyone who has come into contact with an infected person. We did that, to a large degree, in the last outbreak, but there was a lot of noise about "civil rights" violations.

I think in the time since that outbreak, there has been zero progress in knowing how to deal with the balance of quarantine vs "civil rights."

How we handle this, remains to be seen.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:34 pm

What really gives me nightmares is the (admittedly remote) chance that Ebola mutates to becomes more easily transmissible. And the longer these outbreaks last, the more chances it has to make the wrong mutation.

As for quarantine here in the US, there is a reason that health departments have the power to isolate and/or quarantine folks exposed. CDC has a link with details at:
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/aboutlawsregulationsquarantineisolation.html

Of course, there haven't been large scale isolation measures put in place for a century in the USA - the Spanish Flu of 1918. These days the problem would be when there are too many suspected cases or contact with cases to isolate everyone and make it stick. Too many people think rules don't apply to themselves. Well that, and too few folks are ready to stay home for a week without resupply let alone 3 months or more....

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:43 pm

Read this article and make your own decisions on whether you agree or not.

The article, to me, is very bias, but I do believe 90% of it:

https://www.newsmax.com/clarencevmckee/democrats-ebola-border-immigration/2019/06/07/id/919454/

rick1

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:00 pm

Yeah, that article is heavily slanted, but a more balanced argument was made at https://www.conservativereview.com/news/550-african-migrants-just-caught-texas-dhs-head-says-arent-screened-ebola/

Pretty scary that there is zero health screening before releasing folks into the US. I would like to think that they are at least warning the cities and towns that migrants are coming, but from the anecdotal evidence I've read that's not the case.

The only hope is that it takes the migrants long enough to get to the border that they are past the incubation period for the really nasty diseases, but that's little comfort. I worry more about folks traveling by plane since you can get anywhere in the world in 24 hours and too many nasty bugs out there don't present symptoms that quickly.

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinkthekoolaid Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:35 pm

Drinkthekoolaid

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Portland Maine is being overrun by asylum seekers many of which are from Africa (the Congo area)

https://www.pressherald.com/2019/06/11/portland-receives-67-asylum-seekers-in-2-days-from-southern-border/

rick1

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinkthekoolaid Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:41 pm

rick1 wrote:Portland Maine is being overrun by asylum seekers many of which are from Africa (the Congo area)

https://www.pressherald.com/2019/06/11/portland-receives-67-asylum-seekers-in-2-days-from-southern-border/

What the hell is going on.

Drinkthekoolaid

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:44 pm

Drinkthekoolaid wrote:
rick1 wrote:Portland Maine is being overrun by asylum seekers many of which are from Africa (the Congo area)

Many are asking the same question. The U.S. is destroying itself from within, it's only a matter of time.

rick1

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:19 pm

Trying to bring the topic back to actual Ebola news....

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-48622635

A 50-year-old woman infected with Ebola has died in western Uganda, a day after her five-year-old grandson died.
They are the first two cases reported in the country since the virus spread from neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo, where nearly 1,400 people have died.
Three suspected Ebola patients have also run away from an isolation centre.
The head of a major medical charity has called the latest outbreak of Ebola in central Africa "truly frightening".

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinkthekoolaid Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:55 pm

dmwalsh568 wrote:Trying to bring the topic back to actual Ebola news....

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-48622635

A 50-year-old woman infected with Ebola has died in western Uganda, a day after her five-year-old grandson died.
They are the first two cases reported in the country since the virus spread from neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo, where nearly 1,400 people have died.
Three suspected Ebola patients have also run away from an isolation centre.
The head of a major medical charity has called the latest outbreak of Ebola in central Africa "truly frightening".

The outbreak is quickly spreading and it's going to continue growing. It's very worrying.

Drinkthekoolaid

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:25 pm

Drinkthekoolaid wrote:

Not new. Just a continuation of Deep State policies.
https://onenewsnow.com/national-security/2016/12/22/obama-speeds-up-influx-of-refugees-before-trump

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jan/29/inside-the-beltway-84995-refugees-settled-in-us-in/

Just to be clear. These are not talking about Mexicans. They are talking about mid-Eastern and African "refugees" and 99% of them are Muslim (invaders), since the system (under supervision of the UN) worked to prevent Christians, who were really in danger, from arriving here.

When this all began several liberal governors and mayors grandstanded to "welcome the refugees" and now their citizens are paying the price.

But this is in grave danger of getting off topic.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:47 pm

Drinkthekoolaid wrote:
dmwalsh568 wrote:Trying to bring the topic back to actual Ebola news....
Yeah, we (and I am the worst) were getting off topic.

The outbreak is quickly spreading and it's going to continue growing. It's very worrying.[/quote]
It is time to start thinking about how to mitigate (survive) any pandemic, including Ebola.
Wait! This is Emergency Home Preparation forum.
We are already good at this Cool

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:53 pm

Drinkthekoolaid wrote:

I know! I heard about this, a few days ago. But I was on a short vacation and couldn't do a search on it or post here about it. This is pure craziness! Surprised

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:25 pm

An update from the ArsTechnica article on the Uganda Ebola spread:
https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/06/ebola-spreads-in-uganda-2-deaths-27-in-contact-as-who-calls-emergency-meeting/
UPDATE 6/14/2019, 1pm ET: The World Health Organization's Emergency Committee met today to discuss the spread of Ebola outbreak and declared (for the third time) that the ongoing outbreak does not constitute a “public health emergency of international concern" or PHEIC. It is an emergency for the Democratic Republic of the Congo and the region, but does not meet the criteria for an international public health emergency, the committee concluded.

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:31 am

Hospital patient in Kenya being tested for Ebola

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/kenya-investigates-patient-ebola-symptoms-63756299

Kenyan doctors are testing a hospital patient in western Kenya who has Ebola-like symptoms, as eastern Congo is struggling to control the outbreak and Uganda has reported two deaths from the deadly hemorrhagic fever.

The patient had visited her spouse at the Uganda-Kenya border and three other family members are also under observation, according to Kenyan media.

Results from the test are expected in 12 to 24 hours. If confirmed as Ebola, it would be Kenya's first ever case of the virus and represent a worrying spread of the disease from eastern Congo. Kenya has never experienced an Ebola outbreak and some Kenyan doctors have expressed concern about the country's preparedness to manage the deadly virus.

Definitely worth keeping an eye on this...

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:23 am

Hmmm, article claims no Ebola in headline but article body shows blood tests aren't complete.

https://www.africanews.com/2019/06/17/ebola-confirmed-in-uganda//

Kenya case not Ebola-related, WHO chief visits DRC, Uganda

The rapid surveillance and response team, which has been sent to examine the patient who is in stable condition, has confirmed that she does not fit the case definition of Ebola. Allow me to repeat to Kenyans that the patient does not meet the case definition of Ebola,” said Sicily Kariuki, while touring the Nairobi international airport to see how arriving passengers are screened for symptoms of fever.

Precautionary measures have, however, been put in place including isolation of the patient and submission of blood samples … for testing,” she said. “The result of the same are expected by 4 p.m. this evening (Kenya time).

FYI - Kenya is GMT+3, so it's not quite 2:30 PM there as I post this.

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinkthekoolaid Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:49 am

dmwalsh568 wrote:Hmmm, article claims no Ebola in headline but article body shows blood tests aren't complete.

https://www.africanews.com/2019/06/17/ebola-confirmed-in-uganda//

Kenya case not Ebola-related, WHO chief visits DRC, Uganda

The rapid surveillance and response team, which has been sent to examine the patient who is in stable condition, has confirmed that she does not fit the case definition of Ebola. Allow me to repeat to Kenyans that the patient does not meet the case definition of Ebola,” said Sicily Kariuki, while touring the Nairobi international airport to see how arriving passengers are screened for symptoms of fever.

Precautionary measures have, however, been put in place including isolation of the patient and submission of blood samples … for testing,” she said. “The result of the same are expected by 4 p.m. this evening (Kenya time).

FYI - Kenya is GMT+3, so it's not quite 2:30 PM there as I post this.

No one panic. Nothing to see here move along.

Drinkthekoolaid

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:20 pm

dmwalsh568 wrote:Hmmm, article claims no Ebola in headline but article body shows blood tests aren't complete.
Never assume the headline is correct.
Many are written by someone who hasn't even read the whole article.
And others are just a form of clickbait.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:37 pm

TRex2 wrote:
Never assume the headline is correct.
Many are written by someone who hasn't even read the whole article.
And others are just a form of clickbait.

The tweet from the minister?/PM?/spokesperson? said that there was no cause for alarm because the case didn't meet the case definition of Ebola. So I can understand the editors believing that the title was accurate. We of course know that until the blood work comes back negative it's not a safe assumption.

But it looks like the article I was quoting has been pulled from the site. Hmmm....

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:23 pm

rick1 wrote:
Drinkthekoolaid wrote:

Many are asking the same question. The U.S. is destroying itself from within, it's only a matter of time.

I will be the first to tell anyone that i am not the sharpest tool in the shed , but how did they get here and who is paying for them to get here ???

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinkthekoolaid Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:56 pm

Dave58 wrote:
rick1 wrote:
Drinkthekoolaid wrote:

I will be the first to tell anyone that i am not the sharpest tool in the shed , but how did they get here and who is paying for them to get here ???  

Globalists who want to destabilize our country.

Drinkthekoolaid

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:10 pm

Drinkthekoolaid wrote:
Dave58 wrote:...
Globalists who want to destabilize our country.
Yep.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:43 am

Ok 1 more question before I go about my paranoid day .. Freak Face
What are the chances of ISIS using the immigrants from the Congo as a weapon if they are all ready sick ??

If memory serves I think we done something like that to the Indians back in the day

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:05 am

Dave58 wrote:Ok 1 more question before I go about my paranoid day .. Freak Face
What are the chances of ISIS using the immigrants from the Congo as a weapon
There is 100% chance they will try to send ISIS fighters
from Congo region, pretending to be refugees.

if they are all ready sick ??
This part is very very unlikely.
They don't have the skills necessary to pull that off.

If memory serves I think we done something like that to the Indians back in the day
Not we. The British. Before the Revolution.
And if you read the article linked below, you will see
Europeans did more damage by accident, than deliberately.
https://newsmaven.io/indiancountrytoday/archive/american-history-myths-debunked-the-indians-weren-t-defeated-by-white-settlers-app4gGHFX0G0L7tx--7wAA/
And reports of the British then using biological warfare to gain an edge in subsequent battles against the American Indians abound. One of the most prevalent examples of its use came from Lord Jeffrey Amherst, who was commanding general of British forces in North America during the final battles of the French & Indian war (1754-1763).

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:57 am

Ok, looks like the blood work came back negative, but the reactions of the locals to a suspected case makes me nervous as to how fast it will spread over there once a case really happens....

https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article/2001330477/ebola-scare-brings-out-the-worst-in-kericho

Residents of Kericho jammed the county referral hospital, where a suspected case of the deadly Ebola virus was reported.

Instead of avoiding the hospital, where a woman had been quarantined after showing symptoms similar to those exhibited by Ebola patients, curious residents rushed to the hospital eager to see the patient.

They jammed the hospital's parking space, pushing and shoving to catch of glimpse of the patient, oblivious of the fact that Ebola can easily be spread through contact.

The residents loudly discussed the incident and made jokes about the deadly disease.

In the crowd were also some local ward reps who claimed they were in the hospital to "follow up on the Ebola incident."

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:53 am

There is now a confirmed case of Ebola in Goma, Congo a city of 2 million near the Rwanda border.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ebola-virus-outbreak-goma-congo-pastor-first-confirmed-case-in-city-today-2019-07/

Beni, Congo -- The Congolese health ministry confirmed an Ebola case in Goma late Sunday, marking the first time the virus has reached the city of more than 2 million people along the border with Rwanda since the epidemic began nearly a year ago. The health ministry said the man who arrived earlier Sunday in the regional capital was quickly transported to an Ebola treatment center.

Authorities said they had tracked down all the passengers on the bus the man took to Goma from Butembo, one of the towns hardest hit by the disease.

"Because of the speed with which the patient was identified and isolated, and the identification of all the other bus passengers coming from Butembo, the risk of it spreading in the rest of the city of Goma is small," the health ministry said in a statement.

more at link

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:03 pm

CBS Article Above wrote:Authorities said they had tracked down all the passengers on the bus the man took to Goma from Butembo, one of the towns hardest hit by the disease.

"Because of the speed with which the patient was identified and isolated, and the identification of all the other bus passengers coming from Butembo, the risk of it spreading in the rest of the city of Goma is small," the health ministry said in a statement.
How fast and far Ebola spreads is completely dependent on how the local society responds to it.

That they let a bus load of people come from Butembo is a little disturbing, but that they quickly identified an infected rider and were able to find all other passengers (if true) is excellent.

Ebola is pretty tame on its ability to spread (despite rumors, some started by our own CDC), so reasonable measures can be used to stop the spread. As long as the society allows the reasonable measures to work.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:05 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:49 am

HatTip2 Hat tip to John West's Blog, "Daily Big Threats":

DRC's Ebola Outbreak Is Now a Global Emergency
https://edmdigest.com/news/ebola-outbreak-global-emergency/

The World Health Organization (WHO) finally declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) a public health emergency of international concern (PHEIC). The issuance of the PHEIC comes after the fourth review of the situation in the DRC, and new incidents have highlighted the cross-border spread of the disease into neighboring Uganda. wrote:

The number of confirmed cases now exceeds 2,600 with at least 1,743 deaths – a fatality rate of 67 percent which exceeds the average Ebola fatality rate of around 50 percent. This includes 137 cases among healthcare workers, of whom 41 died. In the last 21 days, there have been 254 new cases alone. wrote:

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:52 am

HatTip2 Hat Tip to John West's Blog "Daily Big Threats"

Too Many in Congo's Ebola Outbreak Are Dying at Home
https://www.voanews.com/science-health/too-many-congos-ebola-outbreak-are-dying-home

The Ebola outbreak in eastern Congo is ravaging Beni, a sprawling city of some 600,000, in large part because so many of the sick are choosing to stay at home. In doing so, they unknowingly infect caregivers and those who mourn them."

"People are waiting until the last minute to bring their family members and when they do it's complicated for us," says Mathieu Kanyama, head of health promotion at the Ebola treatment center in Beni run by the Alliance for International Medical Action, or ALIMA. "Here there are doctors, not magicians. wrote:

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:54 am

HatTip2 Hat Tip to John West's Blog, Daily Big Threats:

WHO, preparing for the worst, makes plans for reduced doses of Ebola vaccine
https://www.statnews.com/2019/07/26/who-preparing-for-the-worst-makes-plans-for-reduced-doses-of-ebola-vaccine/

[quote="The World Health Organization is drawing up plans to use reduced doses of Ebola vaccine in the Democratic Republic of the Congo in the event that supplies in the long-running outbreak run short, according to the head of the WHO’s health emergencies programs.

There is currently no shortage of the vaccine — half a million doses are available," ... continued ...][/quote]

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:24 am

Another case (fatal) of Ebola in Goma, DRC

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/07/case-ebola-confirmed-dr-congo-goma-190731062541695.html

Second confirmed Ebola patient dies in DRC's Goma
The man with the disease started developing symptoms on July 22 after arriving from a mining area outside the city.

The man who became the second confirmed Ebola case in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo's largest city, Goma, has died, increasing concern the virus is establishing a foothold in the densely populated area.

Jean-Jacques Muyembe, DRC's Ebola response coordinator, said the man died on Wednesday morning, a day after the case was announced.

"The patient ... died Wednesday morning because he was already weakened and his illness was discovered late," Muyembe told DPA news agency.

The patient in his 40s may never have known he had the virus, Dr Michael Ryan, the emergencies chief at the UN's World Health Organization (WHO), said on Wednesday.

He also said the man's potential contacts were being identified and given an experimental but effective Ebola vaccine.

When it starts spreading in Goma is when it becomes more serious since Goma is on the Rwanda border and has an International airport. But this case came in from outside the city, although the fact he didn't come to the hospital for treatment until it was too late is disturbing.

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:11 am

You are right, this isn't looking good for that region.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:37 am

HatTip2 Hat Tip to John West's blog Daily Big Threats:

Fears Growing Congo's Ebola Could Spread to Neighboring Countries
https://www.voanews.com/science-health/fears-growing-congos-ebola-could-spread-neighboring-countries

Fears that the deadly Ebola virus could spread to Congo's nine neighboring countries are growing with the death of the second person confirmed to have had the disease in Goma, a city of more than one million people. Goma, the capital of conflict-ridden North Kivu province, borders Rwanda and DRC's gateway to the rest of the world.

Uganda has had three imported cases of Ebola. While it has successfully contained the spread of the disease, WHO experts warn of the potential dangers should the virus enter South Sudan, which is a particularly vulnerable, unstable country. wrote:

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:52 pm

Fox news just reported that the gentleman that died yesterday (Wednesday) from eboli in Goma, that his wife and daughter now have it.

I couldn't find anything on the net yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:29 pm

rick1 wrote:Fox news just reported that the gentleman that died yesterday (Wednesday) from eboli in Goma, that his wife and daughter now have it.

I couldn't find anything on the net yet.

Here ya go: ( HatTip2  Hat Tip to 'Shiloh', over at FluTrackers)

CIDRAP - Two new cases in Goma as DRC Ebola outbreak reaches 1-year mark
http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2019/08/two-new-cases-goma-drc-ebola-outbreak-reaches-1-year-mark

Two new cases in Goma as DRC Ebola outbreak reaches 1-year mark
Filed Under:
Ebola; VHF
Lisa Schnirring | News Editor | CIDRAP News
| Aug 01, 2019

Two more Ebola cases were confirmed in the provincial capital city of Goma today, marking the first active transmission there, a development that prompted reports of a border closure with Rwanda.
The quickly evolving developments come on the 1-year anniversary of the Democratic Republic of Congo's outbreak declaration.
New cases are man's family members

Both of the new cases in Goma in the Democratic Republic of Congo's (DRC's) hard-hit North Kivu province are family members of a man recently identified as the city's second case, the Associated Press (AP) reported today, citing Ebola response workers. One is the man's 1-year-old daughter, and the other case—confirmed shortly after—is his wife.
The man, reportedly a miner who had traveled to Ituri province, died Wednesday after having spent several days at home with his large family, according to the AP report. The family members are considered high-risk contacts. Goma has now reported four Ebola cases, two imported from the main outbreak areas, plus two secondary cases.
Rwanda: no border closure, but reinforced screening measures   ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:31 pm

Here are the death report of the 1 y/o girl (daughter of deceased man). Following that is confirmation of her mother's illness. (Haven't found a death report, yet for mother): Hat Tiip to 'Pathfinder', over at FluTrackers:

Translation Google

DRC-Ebola: The third confirmed case in Goma is dead
https://actualite.cd/2019/08/01/rdc-ebola-le-troisieme-cas-confirme-goma-est-decede

Thursday, August 1, 2019 - 16:45

A girl of about a year, declared the third positive case of Ebola in the city of Goma, has died, a health source said.

The patient is the daughter of the second detected case who died Wednesday morning. His illness was taken care of late. The goldsmith (the father) arrived at the treatment center on the 11th day of his illness.

Residing in Kiziba, a suburb of Goma, he had caught the virus after living in a mining area in Ituri province.

=============

DRC: Fourth case confirmed in Goma
https://actualite.cd/2019/08/01/rdc-un-quatrieme-cas-debola-confirme-goma

Thursday, August 1, 2019 - 17:13

The epidemiological situation is changing rapidly in Goma. A fourth case was tested positive in the capital of North Kivu. This is the wife of the gold digger who died on Wednesday. The couple's child, a one-year-old girl who was diagnosed positive, is also dead.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:37 pm

You can access FluTracker forum here: https://flutrackers.com  

They are great over there! They will scour the net, every single day. Translate foreign reports and keep you up to date.

If you want to read the scary stuff going on, in Goma, with the lack of border control and the increasing Ebola cases ... read this thread:  https://flutrackers.com/forum/forum/africa/ebola-tracking-dem-republic-of-congo/815137-drc-ebola-in-goma-july-13 for Goma!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:44 am

Frankly, it isn't going to affect my plans
until there is a transmission inside of the U.S.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:27 am

TRex2 wrote:Frankly, it isn't going to affect my plans

I agree. I'm just going to keep a closer eye on what's going on. I already have T-Vech coveralls, extra gloves, & masks from the first ebola scare a couple of years ago. I stepped up my purchase of personal protection items for transmissible deadly virus prepping then.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:44 am

TRex2 wrote:Frankly, it isn't going to affect my plans

I consider transmission in any country that has direct flights to the US to be my first trigger point. Once that happens there is enough of a chance of someone coming in via an international flight to warrant further reducing my limited contact with the public. Transmission within the US would probably get me to self-isolate and hopefully work remotely.

Heck, I work in a school (as a computer geek) and limit my contact with students for a week after any given vacation period...too many families travel and bring back strange bugs. That and close to OCD level of hand sanitizing/washing have kept me reasonably healthy.

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:32 pm

You have great points, especially since you work in a school as a computer geek. I am (simi-disabled) retired and simi isolated already, so I have more of a comfort zone, before it can get to me.

If it were as transmittable as the flu, I would have triggers further out, but frankly, an ebola epidemic isn't that hard to stop (in a first world country) when it is in its infancy, as long as society takes it seriously.

Rumors propagated (like a wildfire) during the last epidemic because the CDC had been extremely negligent in its early response, leading to panic, and frankly many of the rumors were propagated for (Leftist) political gain.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:02 am

HatTip2 Hat Tip to John West's Blog, "Daily Big Threats":

Investigative Ebola Treatment ZMapp to Undergo Testing
https://www.mdmag.com/medical-news/investigative-ebola-treatment-zmapp-to-undergo-testing

A Texas-based research team will begin clinical trials on an experimental treatment for the Ebola virus.

ZMapp, the monoclonal antibody combination therapy that was used to treat humans during the 2014 West Africa Ebola outbreak before even reaching human clinical trials, will be further researched by the Texas Biomedical Research Institute in San Antonio.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:04 am

HatTip2 Hat Tip to John West's Blog, "Daily Big Threats":

Canadian lab's shipment of Ebola, Henipah viruses to China raises questions

Scientists at the National Microbiology Lab sent live Ebola and Henipah viruses to Beijing on an Air Canada flight March 31, and while the Public Health Agency of Canada says all federal policies were followed, there are questions about whether that shipment is part of an ongoing RCMP investigation.

Ebola and Henipah are Level 4 pathogens, meaning they're some of the deadliest viruses in the world. They must be contained in a lab with the highest level of biosafety control, such as the one in Winnipeg.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:34 pm

ReadyMom wrote:HatTip2 Hat Tip to John West's Blog, "Daily Big Threats":

Canadian lab's shipment of Ebola, Henipah viruses to China raises questions
This is bad, but unfortunately, not surprising. I suspect
their version of the CDC has been overrun by political hacks,
like our CDC (and the WHO) has.

They still do a lot of good work, but nowadays you have
to go behind them, double checking everything they
say or do.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:03 pm

HatTip2  Hat Tip to John West's Blog, "Daily Big Threats":

Ebola-General News & Updates - Page 2 Logo-internal
DRC Ebola impact getting worse for children
http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2019/08/drc-ebola-impact-getting-worse-children

The Ebola outbreak has killed more than 500 children in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) since the outbreak began last August, and deaths in kids have accelerated over the past 6 months, Save the Children, a nongovernmental group that is working in DRC, said yesterday.

In other developments, the DRC health ministry confirmed 7 new cases yesterday, and health officials in the DRC and neighboring Rwanda announced steps to curb unnecessary border travel.
  ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:41 am

CDC shuts down U.S. Army lab in Maryland that is doing the research on ebola and a cure for it, doesn't know when the shut down will be lifted:

https://www.fredericknewspost.com/news/health/effect-of-usamriid-shutdown-on-research-at-fort-detrick-unclear/article_336431c4-9b69-5f7c-9c49-8eb0c396c44b.html

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:02 am

rick1 wrote:CDC shuts down U.S. Army lab in Maryland that is doing the research on ebola and a cure for it, doesn't know when the shut down will be lifted:

https://www.fredericknewspost.com/news/health/effect-of-usamriid-shutdown-on-research-at-fort-detrick-unclear/article_336431c4-9b69-5f7c-9c49-8eb0c396c44b.html

Trying to read between the lines in the article it looks like US Army lab was shutdown because they had an incident or weren't operating in a safe manner (the only reasons the local health department gets notified.) Which is scary as hell for a Bio-Safety Level 4 facility!

While it's bad that research is stopped, I think it's definitely a good thing to have them stop if there were protocol breaches or facility failures that had the potential to release germs/virii into the local environment.

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:55 am

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:29 pm

Why would they talk about it.
They can't stir up racial trouble, or blame Trump,
and Canada is a fairly socialist state, so socialist
media isn't going to out a socialist government.
It doesn't further their agenda.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:43 am

Is Ebola Evolving Into a Deadlier Virus?
https://www.newyorker.com/science/elements/is-ebola-evolving-into-a-more-deadly-virus

As of last Saturday, 2,753 cases of Kivu Ebola have been reported, with 1,843 deaths. There appear to be many undiscovered cases in the region, too. Ella Watson-Stryker, a social scientist with Doctors Without Borders, who has been studying the outbreak, said that around half of all Ebola patients admitted to treatment centers in eastern Congo aren’t part of any known chain of transmission. In other words, the infected person has caught Ebola from somebody whom disease investigators haven’t yet identified. “A lot of transmission is not being seen, but nobody knows the exact amount,” Watson-Stryker told me.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:49 pm

ReadyMom wrote:Is Ebola Evolving Into a Deadlier Virus?
https://www.newyorker.com/science/elements/is-ebola-evolving-into-a-more-deadly-virus
There appear to be many undiscovered cases in the region, too.
Hype designed to panic people and sell news (infotainment)
The part I left in the quote box answers why they don't have infection chains.
Already identified in the last outbreak, a few years ago, many people don't
seek help when the infection strikes, because they know that a lot of people
who go to the medical centers are dying, and they don't want to die.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:30 pm

Hat Tip  Hat Tip to John West's Blog, Daily big Threats:

WHO Says Tanzania May Be Hiding Possible Ebola Cases
https://www.newsy.com/stories/who-says-tanzania-may-be-hiding-possible-ebola-cases/

The organization says it learned of a number of unofficial reports of possible Ebola cases in Tanzania. It started on Sept. 10, when the organization was told about the death of a person who tested positive for the virus. But four days later, Tanzania had reported no Ebola cases and since then has failed to cooperate with WHO.

WHO says it was made aware of two more unofficial suspected cases and asked Tanzania to perform a second round of tests.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:37 pm

What else can happen, well how about a new ebola outbreak:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/15/africa/ebola-guinea-west-africa-intl/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinkthekoolaid Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:15 pm

Knowing how our country responds to covid, if ebola ever gets over here..... Oh my.

Drinkthekoolaid

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:47 am

Drinkthekoolaid wrote:Knowing how our country responds to covid, if ebola ever gets over here..... Oh my.
Most of our country responded pretty well to Covid, all things considered.

And, while ebola is a horrible disease, controlling its spread and shutting down an epidemic isn't that hard (as long as you can deal with the whining from groups like the ACLU). With Covid, there was no way, once it got loose in the general population, to stop it. Slow it down, yes. Stop it, no.

TRex2

Dave58 and Drinkthekoolaid like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2