Immediately BEFORE an Event, if You Have Advanced Warning

3 posters

Go down

Immediately BEFORE an Event, if You Have Advanced Warning Empty Immediately BEFORE an Event, if You Have Advanced Warning

Post by ReadyMom Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:52 am

These are a couple of 'Oldie But Goodie' posts that I had kept.  Good discussion starters:

Immediately BEFORE an Event, if You Have Advanced Warning Logo_phpBB

Lots of suggestions for that last minute preparation, if we hear of the need to 'Sit In Place' (SIP)... here are some of them:

From 'libbyalex', PlanforPandemic
http://planforpandemic.com/viewtopic.php?t=4305

Top off propane tanks Top off gas tank(s) in car(s) Fill water containers [/list]

From naomi, PlanforPandemic
http://planforpandemic.com/viewtopic.php?t=4305

*retrieve family members!!!!
*fill any gas containers you have(you should have gas stabilizer on hand already)
*if you are not on the east or west coast i.e. in a less densly populated area, you might want to go to the store for the last time to get some fresh produce, cheeses and meats.
*get cash from the ATM or drive-thru if you dare
(keep an N95 and gloves in the glove compartment of your car for this & hand gell too)

and once you are inside...

*charge everything! cell phones, toothbrushes, flashlights, rechargable batteries etc.
*do all laundry(wash all bed linens and towels)
*fill all containers, bath tubs etc. with water and set up rain catcher outside
*vacume seal any misc items
*dehydrate frozen veggies from your freezer
*cook some food items from the freezer and some rice and pasta as well and have them ready to eat from the fridge
*run dishwasher if it is full or mostly full
*make phone calls to alert family and close friends
*set up your sick room

Admin

Back to top Go down

Immediately BEFORE an Event, if You Have Advanced Warning Empty Re: Immediately BEFORE an Event, if You Have Advanced Warning

Post by ReadyMom Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:56 am

And, from AnnZ,  

This is a good list if you are expecting the power/water to go off within 12 hours of a SIP decision.

Bearing in mind that one of the priorities of the authorities is to keep the power on and the water flowing. It is unlikely that the power or water would go off so soon.

Not every one is in the same situation but how about this as a starter list.

Decision to SIP

Fill fuel tanks
Buy fresh foods
Fill sealable water containers
Dehydrate frozen vegies
Rain Catcher

Concerns about power/water supply

Fill other water containers
Laundry
Charge batteries etc
Vacuum seal misc items.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Immediately BEFORE an Event, if You Have Advanced Warning Empty Re: Immediately BEFORE an Event, if You Have Advanced Warning

Post by TRex2 Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:22 am

These are good lists for immediately prior to an area shutting down for a pandemic, or a hurricane (assuming you live where you can safely ride it out).

For other kinds of disasters, the list might be a little different. There is a massive cyber attack in progress right now, so ATM machines and credit card systems have a fair likelihood of being interrupted.

It has been said before to have cash on hand, now you may want to carry some extra. (I will also be going inside the bank for a face to face, and cash a check for some more greenbacks in denominations smaller than $20's)

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:15 am

If I Had to Prepare in a Weekend
https://rethinksurvival.com/prepare-in-a-weekend/

Immediately BEFORE an Event, if You Have Advanced Warning Prepare-weekend   What would I do if I had to prepare for a disaster in a weekend? Not necessarily a hurricane, but just to have something.  

(SNIP) ... The first thing I would probably do is to hit the grocery store and buy up as much of the food suggested in ...   ---CONTINUED----

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:18 pm

Lots of good info here. I've tried to stock a lot of things even for neighbors (they don't know about it). All our neighbors are pretty self-sufficient, but you never know when they might need something.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down