Moving from Titter to Parler

+2
rick1
TRex2
6 posters

Go down

Moving from Titter to Parler Empty Moving from Titter to Parler

Post by TRex2 Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:47 pm

Trump, banned from Twitter, has an account at Parler, I think.
I haven't really authenticated that it is really him.

Conservatives are moving there quickly.

I don't know how stable they are, or frankly, anything about them. I don't currently have an account at Parler, but I may create one to track certain people there.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Moving from Titter to Parler Empty Re: Moving from Titter to Parler

Post by rick1 Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:20 pm

Parlor just started and is on its way out.

Google has already dropped them on their app store and Apple has given them 24 hours to come up with the answers to their questions, or Apple will drop them.

There is no more freedom of speech, if you're a conservative:

https://www.imore.com/apple-may-pull-parlor-conservative-social-app-app-store

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:29 pm

rick1 wrote:Parlor just started and is on its way out.
Google has already dropped them on their app store and Apple has gi...
Well, that is going to hurt them, but by itself, won't kill them.

Plus, if someone like Trump decides to back them, they can probably find a way around Apple and Google's oligopoli.

So, don't write them off yet.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:40 pm

TRex2 wrote:
rick1 wrote:Parlor just started and is on its way out.
Google has already dropped them on their app store and Apple has gi...
Well, that is going to hurt them, but by itself, won't kill them.

Plus, if someone like Trump decides to back them, they can probably find a way around Apple and Google's oligopoli.

So, don't write them off yet.

Oh, I'm not writing them off. Trump already said that he'll do whatever it takes to keep parlor going, including investing in them and getting other millionaires/billionaires to invest in them.

He even said about starting his own network.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:45 pm

rick1 wrote:...

Oh, I'm not writing them off. Trump already said that he'll do whatever it takes to keep parlor going, including investing in them and getting other millionaires/billionaires to invest in them.

He even said about starting his own network.
I thought he might invest in them, but I hadn't heard it from him.
I hope he goes that route, rather than creating his own network.
There are too many (I think there are over 3000 of them) conservative forums, social media sites, and news sites. We are diluting our selves and creating sites that do nothing but sell stuff to stay solvent.

Some diversity is good, but we have gone overboard.
We would be better off if we went back to cataloging them.
Anyone remember "blog rolls." I am trying to do something
like that with forums, but it is really time consuming.

Right now, Parler seems to have what it takes to be a good micro-blogging and news dissemination site. I am looking into a few others, like Bitchute and DLive.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:03 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Blondie Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:28 pm

And just like that, POOF!

Amazon who provides web hosting services for Parler announced they will de-platform them. Well, because their employees insisted! Parler will have to find a new service, if not, they will be defunct.

Since this party is just getting started I think I'll be off to the party supply store!

Blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:34 am

Blondie wrote:And just like that, POOF!
Amazon who provides web hosting services for Parler announced they will de-platform them. Well, because their employees insisted! Parler will have to find a new service, if not, they will be defunct.
Since this party is just getting started I think I'll be off to the party supply store!
I have seen this from multiple, reliable resources, but as of 2:30am CDT, they are up.

I have also heard they didn't have a contingency plan for this, and that surprises me, but just a little. This whole thing has caught me flat footed, as I didn't expect the Left to begin he Coup until after this election.

(I expected a serious rise in Leftist violence next summer and mass election fraud in the 2024 election)

I have been dabbling in learning about the dark web, as that is where they are forcing us to go, but I am months away from being able to do anything serious there.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:10 am

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:32 am

I was just reading a thread on it.
Are you on an Apple device?

(Also, I wonder if your Internet Provider is blocking it.)

This may come too late to help:
Kimberly Willingham Hubbard
·
@KimiWillingham
1 hour ago
·
Steps for preventing Apple from deleting Parler from your phone:

1. Go to settings;
2. Click on “screen time”
3. Click: “Content & Privacy Restrictions”
4. Click: “iTunes and App Store Purchases”
5. Click: “Deleting Apps”
6. Click: “Don’t Allow”

Echoed By Kimberly Willingham Hubbard
·
1 hour ago

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:11 am

No, still can't get on. Called the next farm over and they can't get on either. Called one kids and they got on.

Two different internet providers. Me and my neighbor have the same one.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:13 pm

Two different internet providers. Me and my neighbor have the same one.
Do you mind me asking which one?

(If you are afraid of retaliation, I understand, even though they can't read your traffic directly, if they are determined criminals, they can see where you are communicating, and knowing this is a forum, they could be monitoring this site to track what you discuss. Far fetched, but possible, in theory.)

I am on a VPN, so my internet provider can't see where I go on the web, and this web site can't see where I am posting from.

(I don't really worry about this site, or my service provider, but I used to use public networks like McDonalds and nowadays I have been infiltrating Leftist networks.)

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:16 pm

OK, the word is that Parler will go down tonight, but should be back up in a few days, on a different platform. That won't help those who have providers who want to censor what they can read.

https://www.newsmax.com/politics/parler-ceo-statement-tech/2021/01/10/id/1004955/
https://www.newsmax.com/us/amazon-parler/2021/01/09/id/1004920/

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:23 pm

TRex, I sent you a PM.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:03 pm

rick1 wrote:TRex, I sent you a PM.
Thanks, I sent you one, in return.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:21 pm

Parler is experiencing a tremendous uptick in traffic and sometimes its hard to get on. Last night was the most difficult for me.

That being said ... I have an IPhone and wanted to download another platform (Telegram) and can't access my AppStore to get it on my phone. To put it on my mac laptop, I went through a download on the internet, so I didn't get it through the App store. I'm not trusting apple for anything, right now.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:33 pm

Video of Parler CEO interview this morning on FOX:

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6221679825001#sp=show-clips

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:08 pm

Parler still down.

In the mean time, I suggest everyone get an email address that they do NOT use for regular business (like paying the light bill and on line shopping). That would be an email address primarily for use with forums. Do not use your real name, anywhere in that mail system, but set it up so your on line Screen name would be recognizable.

For instance:  
I have TR------@gmail.com for things like paying my light bill and on line shopping. If I send someone an email from that one, my real name appears in the header.

I have TRex2@xxxxxx.com where anyone on the forum can email me. If I send someone an email from this one, something close to, but not quite right, appears for my real name. This just provides a layer of security, in case someone from Antifa gets an account on this forum, and tries to find who we really are, so that they can DOX us.

I use Mail Dot Com for my forum email address, because they are easy to set up and don't ask a lot of questions.

TRex2

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:00 pm

TRex2 wrote:Parler still down.

In the mean time, I suggest everyone get an email address that they do NOT use for regular business (like paying the light bill and on line shopping). That would be an email address primarily for use with forums. Do not use your real name, anywhere in that mail system, but set it up so your on line Screen name would be recognizable.

So ... do NOT use your real name when you enter the personal details for the account, too?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:49 am

ReadyMom wrote:
TRex2 wrote:Parler still down.

So ... do NOT use your real name when you enter the personal details for the account, too?
That is exactly right.
Simply examining emails that I send and receive on the Forums Email account will not reveal my real name, even in the headers.

(Email from my regular email address will put my real name in your contacts list.)

The only link my Forums Email account has to my real name is the password recovery item. If I were to lose my password, I could ask it to send a password reset link, and that would go to my regular email address, which has my real name. Since we aren't trying to outsmart the FBI or anything like that, I find that to be an acceptable risk.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:43 pm

On Newsmax today, there are two articles discussing the possible return of Parler. One of them said a new server platform had been found, but even so, it is questionable as to when, or even if, Parler will return.

This makes finding Conservative, Patriotic, Christian friendly, and Prepper friendly platforms more important than ever.

(And also makes it important that those of us who are comfortable with each other to exchange email addresses, in the fashion described above.)

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:45 am

rick1 wrote:Interesting video between Mark Leven and the CEO of Parler from last evening on FOX:
https://rumble.com/vcx267-parler-ceo-no-indication-shutdown-threats-were-serious-until-last-minute.html
On the one hand, I can see that he was blindsided, but, on the other hand, his hackles should have stood up after the 3rd of Nov, and realized that this was going to get ugly, and that he needed a backup strategy, in case things got sideways.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:45 pm

Parler has had its new web site on the Net, but "under construction," for more than 24 hours.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:55 pm

THIS is why everyone should be careful and circumspect about what is put on a social media site. Or an open forum.

Mish is an economic genius, which is why I read his stuff, but he is a NeverTrumper and clueless about what is ahead for our country.
https://www.thestreet.com/mishtalk/politics/a-very-disturbing-look-deep-insider-the-parler-app

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:51 pm

We need to stay off Parler for a while. It has potential, but it has issues to work out. As the details in the hashtag cloud show, and the fact that they didn't strip out EXIF data from posted pictures, the site leaks user information.

In addition, the servers are currently being defended by a Russian owned security service, that has access to raw incoming traffic. That is too much risk. As I said, the site has potential. I have defenses to make my risk minimal, so I will keep an eye on it.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:54 pm

Parler is up. (Hat Tip: ReadyMom)

However, it seems to be so overloaded that it won't respond when I try to log on.

A flaw in the earlier version, that we need to keep in mind, if you take a picture with your cell phone, the location, along with day, time, and other information, is written in the photograph, so anyone can look at that photo and tell exactly where you were when it was taken.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:31 pm

TRex2 wrote:Parler is up. (Hat Tip: ReadyMom)

However, it seems to be so overloaded that it won't respond when I try to log on.

A flaw in the earlier version, that we need to keep in mind, if you take a picture with your cell phone, the location, along with day, time, and other information, is written in the photograph, so anyone can look at that photo and tell exactly where you were when it was taken.
Update on Parler.

Parler still won't let me log on, and I have been told, but cannot yet confirm, that Parler will refuse to communicate with anyone on a VPN.

I checked a "trace-route" site, and communications with it are routed through three different countries in Europe. I don't know if this is good or bad, but may account for it hanging up on VPN connections, which route though a couple more servers. Routing through six servers may just be too much.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:21 pm

Earlier in this thread, I mentioned exchanging email addresses. Over the past few days I sent out an email to each of the people who sent me their email address (the one we call ghost email address) mainly just as a test, which I think we should do about once a quarter.

This morning, I couldn't connect with mail dot com's email server, which I think is in Germany, from my VPN connection, while it was routed through St. Louis or Dallas. It would connect if I routed it through Houston or a server in Germany.

We live in interesting times.
Rex

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:42 pm

After some research into Parler, I have to say that I am staying off it.

I noted some concerns, above, and the following thread on Gab (you don't have to log in to see the thread) has some information I would consider detrimental to those who wish to speak their minds on Parler. (Also has a lot of garbage to sort through.)

https://gab.com/a/posts/105789331976792039
Andrew Torba, creator of Gab, responding to Scott Baio (who is also a Trump supporter)
Sorry, but the atheist billionaire oligarch swamp creature Mercer family with a notorious reputation for playing fast and loose with data mined on good decent Americans in order to manipulate them to benefit their own interests is not on our side.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:53 pm

In spite of my reservations about the platform, I attempted to sign up today. Got all the way to the "token" that tells it that it the correct email address. Would not take. I sent an email to the Sysadmin, and they haven't gotten back to me.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:54 pm

TRex2 wrote:In spite of my reservations about the platform, I attempted to sign up today. Got all the way to the "token" that tells it that it the correct email address. Would not take. I sent an email to the Sysadmin, and they haven't gotten back to me.
GAB seems to have all sorts of quirks. I still am not thrilled about it.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:25 pm

ReadyMom wrote:
TRex2 wrote:In spite of my reservations about the platform, I attempted to sign up today. Got all the way to the "token" that tells it that it the correct email address. Would not take. I sent an email to the Sysadmin, and they haven't gotten back to me.
I will agree, but it seems like they all have quirks. These are not mature technology.

I will try again, with Parler, but not right this minute. I am giving their system time to forget that a TRex2 attempted to sign up, in hopes that I can get that same pseudonym to take, this time. Else, I would have to sign up under a different name.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:21 pm

ReadyMom wrote:
I am currently trying SubStack. Looks promising.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:08 am

TRex2 wrote:
I am currently trying SubStack. Looks promising.

Keep us posted!!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:49 pm

GAB has fixed a lot of their issues. I've been coasting on it a few days a week to check things out. It seems to be working better and there are more perks now (not that I would know, I have a free account). The paid accounts have more things they can do.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:44 pm

FYI - Parler article:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/01/parler-reportedly-axed-most-of-its-staff-after-ending-deal-to-sell-to-kanye-west/

Parler's owner laid off most of its staff and executives in recent weeks, according to a report yesterday by The Verge. Parlement Technologies, owner of the self-described "free speech" social network, started the spate of layoffs in late November, according to The Verge's sources.

"These layoffs continued through at least the end of December, when around 75 percent of staffers were let go in total, leaving approximately 20 employees left working at both Parler and the parent company's cloud services venture," the report said. "A majority of the company's executives, including its chief technology, operations, and marketing officers, have also been laid off, according to a source familiar with the matter."

The Verge report said it isn't clear "how many people are currently employed to work on the Parler social media platform or where it's headed from here." We contacted Parler today and will update this article if we get a response.

< snip >

So hopefully folks have multiple communications methods available to them in case Parler suddenly shutters its site....

dmwalsh568

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:23 pm

dmwalsh568 wrote:FYI - Parler article:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/01/parler-reportedly-axed-most-of-its-staff-after-ending-deal-to-sell-to-kanye-west/

Parler's owner laid off most of its staff and executives in recent weeks, according to a report yesterday by The Verge. Parlement Technologies, owner of the self-described "free speech" social network, started the spate of layoffs in late November, according to The Verge's sources.

"These layoffs continued through at least the end of December, when around 75 percent of staffers were let go in total, leaving approximately 20 employees left working at both Parler and the parent company's cloud services venture," the report said. "A majority of the company's executives, including its chief technology, operations, and marketing officers, have also been laid off, according to a source familiar with the matter."

The Verge report said it isn't clear "how many people are currently employed to work on the Parler social media platform or where it's headed from here." We contacted Parler today and will update this article if we get a response.

< snip >

So hopefully folks have multiple communications methods available to them in case Parler suddenly shutters its site....

You're right dm, a lot of tech is laying off, Facebook (Meta) laid off 11,000 back in November and I don't see it getting any better:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthart/2022/11/09/meta-confirms-layoffs-11000-jobs-cut-at-facebooks-parent-company/

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tech-firms-lay-off-over-152715470.html

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:17 pm

So, thus far, about 75% of each:
Parler,
Meta,
Twitter,
have been laid off.

I will say that I have had too many irons in the fire, to do much with Gab.
I also looked at Substack but haven't done anything over there either.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down