Bird Flu in USA

4 posters

Go down

Bird Flu in USA Empty Bird Flu in USA

Post by ReadyMom Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:06 pm

Bird flu detected at multiple chicken and turkey farms in Midwest, South; over 300k affected
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bird-flu-detected-at-multiple-chicken-and-turkey-farms-in-midwest-south-over-300k-affected/ar-AATWYNj

New confirmed cases of bird flu first noticed in Indiana are spreading among flocks of chickens and turkeys in three states, resulting in tens of thousands of birds testing positive for the virus.

Georgia Dept of Ag document:

https://agr.georgia.gov/gda-alerts-consumers-to-a-voluntary-recall-of-infant-formula.aspx

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Bird Flu in USA Empty Re: Bird Flu in USA

Post by ReadyMom Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:07 pm

US Detects Highly Lethal Bird Flu in Tyson Foods Chickens
https://www.ntd.com/us-detects-highly-lethal-bird-flu-in-tyson-foods-chickens_740229.html

Birds from the infected flock will be culled and will not enter the food system, state officials said.

The outbreak is not expected to lower overall chicken production levels because thousands of farms raise chickens for Tyson, he said. Mickelson added that Tyson Foods’ chicken products are safe to eat.

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:36 am

The US has been spared, for about 6 years in a row, of having to deal with this, but it is beginning to make the rounds in the US, this year.

Not knowing where else to put it,
I posted some stuff about trying to prevent it, here:  
https://emergencyhomeprep.forumotion.com/t2091-biosecurity-in-backyard-flocks

TRex2

ReadyMom and rick1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:05 am

Pa. Agriculture Secretary issues warning to poultry owners about highly contagious bird flu
https://www.fox43.com/article/news/local/bird-flu-avian-pennsylvania-poultry-chickens-turkeys-prevention-efforts-cases-detected-found/521-ba20f67f-71ac-409a-89d6-496450be2cb7

Pennsylvania has not confirmed any avian influenza cases, but officials are warning poultry owners to "step up biosecurity efforts."

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:06 am

Avian influenza detected in New York non-commercial backyard flock
http://outbreaknewstoday.com/avian-influenza-detected-in-new-york-non-commercial-backyard-flock-39293/

The United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) has confirmed the presence of highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) in a non-commercial backyard flock (non-poultry) in Suffolk County, New York.

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:24 pm

ReadyMom wrote:Pa. Agriculture Secretary issues warning to poultry owners about highly contagious bird flu
https://www.fox43.com/article/news/local/bird-flu-avian-pennsylvania-poultry-chickens-turkeys-prevention-efforts-cases-detected-found/521-ba20f67f-71ac-409a-89d6-496450be2cb7

Pennsylvania has not confirmed any avian influenza cases, but officials are warning poultry owners to "step up biosecurity efforts."

After reading this, I went and checked my chickens, they look and act as mean as they normally do. Guess I'll check them every day now when I feed them and collect their eggs.

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:04 pm

rick1 wrote:
ReadyMom wrote:Pa. Agriculture Secretary issues warning to poultry owners about highly contagious bird flu

After reading this, I went and checked my chickens, they look and act as mean as they normally do. Guess I'll check them every day now when I feed them and collect their eggs.
Make sure, as far as you can, there is no standing water around your property, and give them some overhead cover, is all I can think of, and y'all probably do that, already.

TRex2

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:26 am

Avian flu outbreaks expand to backyard flocks in Maine, NY
https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/02/avian-flu-outbreaks-expand-backyard-flocks-maine-ny

So far, highly pathogenic outbreaks have hit poultry in five states, and surveillance has detected the virus in 247 waterfowl along the eastern seaboard. The H5N1 strain implicated in the outbreaks is the Eurasian strain, which has triggered poultry outbreaks and wild bird detections in multiple parts of the world

Admin

rick1 and Dave58 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:55 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:50 pm

I could be wrong but it seems to be hitting production houses instead of back yard flocks

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:33 am

Florida: Avian influenza confirmed in wild birds
http://outbreaknewstoday.com/florida-avian-influenza-confirmed-in-wild-birds-95546/

There is a low risk of HPAI transmission to humans and, to date, there have been no known human infections in North America.

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:49 pm

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:57 am

Highly pathogenic avian influenza confirmed in Kansas and Illinois backyard flocks
http://outbreaknewstoday.com/highly-pathogenic-avian-influenza-confirmed-in-kansas-and-illinois-backyard-flocks-61891/

The United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) has confirmed the presence of highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) in a backyard mixed species poultry flock in Franklin County, Kansas and a non-commercial backyard flock (non-poultry) in Mclean County, Illinois.

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:59 am

Hat Tip Hat Tip to World Wide Threats:

Bird Flu in USA Swww_orig

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:32 am

Highly Pathogenic Bird Flu Now in Almost a Quarter of U.S. States
https://www.newsweek.com/highly-pathogenic-bird-flu-quarter-u-s-states-avian-1687671?piano_t=1

"Despite the fact that bird flu has now been detected in the backyard and commercial flocks in almost a quarter of U.S. states, including New York, Connecticut, Iowa, Indiana, Maine, Michigan, and Kentucky, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) maintained that the virus does not present a threat to public health."

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:20 pm

Hat Tip Hat tip to John West, World Wide Threats:

Three states report more avian flu outbreaks in poultry
https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/03/three-states-report-more-avian-flu-outbreaks-poultry-0

Iowa, New York, and South Dakota reported more highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) outbreaks in poultry, most of them involving commercial flocks.

The latest outbreaks push the number of US poultry events to 60.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:13 am

This article contains a map of the US, showing states where Avian Flu has been detected.

https://afludiary.blogspot.com/2022/03/usda-confirms-5-more-states-reporting.html

The text give more details.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:29 pm

From CIDRAP:

High-path avian flu hits poultry in 5 more states
https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/03/high-path-avian-flu-hits-poultry-5-more-states

Federal officials today announced that avian flu has struck flocks in five more states—Massachusetts, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, and Wyoming—expanding outbreak activity westward and to nearly half of US states.

Four of the outbreaks involved backyard flocks, while North Carolina's outbreak involved commercial poultry. In a related development, Iowa reported two more outbreaks at commercial farms, including a large layer farm.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:43 am

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:01 pm

The good news is we are near the end of the flu season, and that means bird flu, also.

The bad news is: it will return again, next year.

(Of course, that means you have a year to upgrade your bio defenses.)

TRex2

Drinkthekoolaid likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sun May 01, 2022 3:59 pm

Colorado inmate test positive with bird flu, the first in the U.S., where's Fauci when you need him:

https://justthenews.com/nation/colorado-inmate-tests-positive-bird-flu-first-us

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sun May 01, 2022 5:10 pm

rick1 wrote:Colorado inmate test positive with bird flu, the first in the U.S., where's Fauci when you need him:
https://justthenews.com/nation/colorado-inmate-tests-positive-bird-flu-first-us
I think the article should read: "The first person, this year,"

bird flu jumps to humans fairly often (easy jump), but rarely continues from there to the Human to Human transmission (difficult, second step), so we get a single case, or a small cluster, without any sort of epidemic.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sun May 01, 2022 9:55 pm

TRex2 wrote:

bird flu jumps to humans fairly often (easy jump), but rarely continues from there to the Human to Human transmission (difficult, second step), so we get a single case, or a small cluster, without any sort of epidemic.
 And let's keep it that way. We don't need any more DRAMA!

Admin

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Mon May 02, 2022 7:45 pm

Egg-laying facility in Iowa kills 5.3 million chickens, fires 200-plus workers
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rembrandt-farms-iowa-avian-flu-kills-5-million-chickens-fires-workers/?intcid=CNM-00-10abd1h

Animal rights activists are up in arms over reports that a chicken farm in Iowa killed more than five million birds, after detecting a case of avian influenza, in what activists say was a gruesome culling method. The factory farm later dismissed the more than 200 workers it had tasked with slaughtering the hens, according to a report from The Guardian.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Tue May 03, 2022 7:19 am

ReadyMom wrote:Egg-laying facility in Iowa kills 5.3 million chickens, fires 200-plus workers
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rembrandt-farms-iowa-avian-flu-kills-5-million-chickens-fires-workers/?intcid=CNM-00-10abd1h

Animal rights activists are up in arms over reports that a chicken farm in Iowa killed more than five million birds, after detecting a case of avian influenza, in what activists say was a gruesome culling method. The factory farm later dismissed the more than 200 workers it had tasked with slaughtering the hens, according to a report from The Guardian.

I will be the first to tell ya I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed , but could somebody pls explain how a factory farm gets bird flu to begin with ?? I thought they were required to wear protective suits and shoes just to enter the building.....

Dave58

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Tue May 03, 2022 8:16 am

Dave58 wrote:
ReadyMom wrote:Egg-laying facility in Iowa kills 5.3 million chickens, fires 200-plus workers

I will be the first to tell ya I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed , but could somebody pls explain how a factory farm gets bird flu to begin with ?? I thought they were required to wear protective suits and shoes just to enter the building.....

Bird flu can be transmitted through feed and water.

Example: A duck/bird has bird flu, lands in a bird feeder or lands in a pool of water, both of those can now be contaminated with bird flu.

In our area, they are asking people to take down their bird feeders and bird baths, until further notice.

P.S. Maybe those animal activists should have taken those chickens and had a big feast for themselves.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed May 04, 2022 4:00 am

rick1 wrote:I will be the first to tell ya I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed , but could somebody pls explain how a factory farm gets bird flu to begin with ?? I thought they were required to wear protective suits and shoes just to enter the building.....

Bird flu can be transmitted through feed and water.

Example: A duck/bird has bird flu, lands in a bird feeder or lands in a pool of water, both of those can now be contaminated with bird flu.
P.S. Maybe those animal activists should have taken those chickens and had a big feast for themselves.
You hit the nail on the head.

I mentioned, before, any standing water can be a problem. And it isn't just the migratory birds you have to beware of, since one of the primary pathways is for a local bird to become infected, then pass the virus to local standing water.

The day will come, when we are hungry enough to turn an infected flock into chicken, but the process is a bit daunting, since no one wants to be the person who gets infected while processing infected meat. (Safe to eat, after cooking: the danger is getting the virus from the raw meat, even if refrigerated, the first couple of days after the bird is killed.)

In our area, they are asking people to take down their bird feeders and bird baths, until further notice.
All of the maps I get only show the infections state by state. If we had maps that show county by county, we could get a better grip on where extreme measures, like removing bird feeders and baths, would be useful.

TRex2

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:28 pm

All of the maps I get only show the infections state by state. If we had maps that show county by county, we could get a better grip on where extreme measures, like removing bird feeders and baths, would be useful.

What could be on the horizon:
https://afludiary.blogspot.com/2022/11/defra-england-wide-poultry-housing.html
After declaring an AIPZ (Avian Influenza Protection Zone) across all of Great Britain last month, yesterday DEFRA announced new, stricter guidelines would go into effect on November 7th.
Avian influenza: Housing order to be introduced across England

A national housing order will be introduced across England on Monday 7 November making it a legal requirement to house flocks

From:Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs and Animal and Plant Health Agency Published 31 October 2022

Mandatory housing measures for all poultry and captive birds are to be introduced to all areas of England from 00:01 on Monday 7 November, following a decision by the United Kingdom’s Chief Veterinary Officer.

The housing measures legally require all bird keepers to keep their birds indoors and to follow stringent biosecurity measures to help protect their flocks from the disease, regardless of type or size.

The order will extend the mandatory housing measures already in force in the hot spot area of Suffolk, Norfolk and parts of Essex to the whole of England following an increase in the national risk of bird flu in wild birds to very high.

I don't think think the US will introduce such measures, but then again, I didn't think we would have the strict quarantines we had in 2020.

Even without government orders, it might be wise to at least have a plan to get all of your birds under a roof, in case the Avian flu gets worse.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:45 pm

Just in time for the purchase of fresh Thanksgiving turkeys.   Thanks9 Prices are going to go through the roof, even more!

Thousands of turkeys culled in bird flu outbreaks this month on Lehigh County farms, USDA says
https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/lehigh-county/2022/11/thousands-of-turkeys-culled-in-bird-flu-outbreaks-this-month-on-lehigh-county-farms-usda-says.html

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:43 am

Another article on bio security (or is it biosecurity ? ) for chicken farms (or other bird farms, it is a fowl thing Laughing ).

Now, we are suspecting, even a house fly can transmit the virus.
https://afludiary.blogspot.com/2023/12/kyushu-university-return-of-fly.html
But often, despite their best efforts, we'd still see the virus spread from farm to farm. Migratory birds - once thought unlikely carriers of the virus (see 2014's Bird Flu Spread: The Flyway Or The Highway?) - became increasingly suspect.

But even flocks kept indoors, and protected by several layers of biosecurity, continue to succumb to the virus.

One recurring entry to this rogue's gallery of potential vectors is the common housefly, a pest which is frequently found in abundance in and around poultry farms and live bird markets.

While it wasn't its first mention in this blog, nearly 17 years ago in Cats and Dogs and Flies, Oh My!, we looked at a 2006 study (see Detection and isolation of highly pathogenic H5N1 avian influenza A viruses from blow flies collected in the vicinity of an infected poultry farm in Kyoto, Japan, 2004 by Kyoko Sawabe et al.) that found that at least 2 types of flies could carry the H5N1 virus.

I still say that taking practical measures (overhead cover and removal of standing water in the area) will decrease the risk, substantially. At least, in theory, but that is all we really have, to go on, at this time.

TRex2

dmwalsh568 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Wed May 15, 2024 10:51 pm

IF true, here we go again:

“I fully expect the @WHO in the next few days or weeks to declare avian influenza (bird flu) as a public health emergency of international concern”

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7ARgQdOrCZ/?igsh=YThkZjlxNTlxZGFk

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down