Staying Cool-Solutions and Ideas When There is NO Power

3 posters

Go down

Staying Cool-Solutions and Ideas When There is NO Power Empty Re: Staying Cool-Solutions and Ideas When There is NO Power

Post by dmwalsh568 Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:37 pm

My home was built in the first decade of the 20th century and has some built-in features that help keep things cool without AC. If I have limited power, there is a whole house fan that I can use in the evening until early morning to pull cool air in from the basement and exhaust it out the attic. Even without power, I can open the basement windows and attic windows at night and let the chimney effect pull cool air into the house. In the morning I close up and draw the shades on the sunny side of the house.

To keep individuals cool, I bought some of those high tech cooling towels. You get them damp and then put them on pressure points. As the water in the towel evaporates you get a cooling effect which is amplified by using them on a pressure point - wrists, neck, or groin. Not very useful in high humidity conditions, but that doesn't happen too often or for too long where I'm located. YMMV.

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Staying Cool-Solutions and Ideas When There is NO Power Empty Re: Staying Cool-Solutions and Ideas When There is NO Power

Post by ReadyMom Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:38 pm

How to Keep Your House Cool (Without Cranking the A/C)
https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/how-to-keep-your-house-cool-without-cranking-the-ac/

(Snip): tips to keep your house cooler when the thermometer creeps up and up, ways to make your A/C use more efficient, as well as what you can do to keep your own person more comfortable.   ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:00 pm

12 Best Tips for Keeping Your House Cool without AC
https://commonsensehome.com/keeping-your-house-cool/

Summertime may bring many wonderful things but the extreme heat is not one of them. For many, using air conditioning is not affordable nor available. Here are some tips for keeping your house cool in the summer heat, with or without AC. We use these techniques in steamy South Carolina to reduce our air conditioning bill. Scroll down to see 12 ways to keep house cool without AC.   ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:14 pm

13 Ways To Keep Your House Cool In The Summer
https://www.askaprepper.com/13-ways-keep-house-cool-summer/

Staying Cool-Solutions and Ideas When There is NO Power 13-Ways-To-Keep-Your-House-Cool-In-The-Summer-890x395_c   Summer heat seems to be intensifying each year. So many are asking how can we possibly stay cool during the summer? AC of course!!! Here are some tips and tricks for living without air conditioning, but what will you do if an earthquake, flood, or tornado knocks out the power grid?

If a major disaster happens during the sweltering summer heat, it is necessary to stay cool and hydrated. This is an issue that not enough people think about. You cannot underestimate the effect of overheating. Did you know that around 400 Americans die of heat every year? The National Weather Service actually claims that overheating is the number one weather killer. And keep in mind that this info is recent. Most Americans already have access to air conditioning!!

So, as preppers and survivalists, we need to do something about this problem.   ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:43 am

15+ Ways to Stay Cool in the Heat
https://momwithaprep.com/15-ways-to-stay-cool-in-summer/

Staying Cool-Solutions and Ideas When There is NO Power Momwithaprep-15-ways-to-stay-cool-blog2 (SNIP) ... While most of us in the United States have air conditioning, especially in the south, not every house has it. And across the world, air conditioning is a luxury in monetary terms, or in time – there just isn’t enough extended hot weather to make it worth paying for. And for some, it is simply a luxury they cannot afford. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:36 am

How to Stay Cool Without Electricity
https://preparednessadvice.com/medical/how-to-stay-cool-without-electricity/

Staying Cool-Solutions and Ideas When There is NO Power Tree-shaded-home   With all the heat waves that have been occurring lately this post will give you some tips on how to stay cool when the power is shut down and there is no air conditioning. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:45 am

How To Stay Cool Without Electricity
https://urbansurvivalsite.com/how-to-stay-cool-without-electricity/

Staying Cool-Solutions and Ideas When There is NO Power Ngcb11 (SNIP) ... Here are the symptom of heat stress and what to do to stay cool and keep yourself, friends, and family healthy and alive when the heat becomes dangerous, especially if you’re without power. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:48 am

How People Kept Houses Cool Before AC Was Invented
https://urbansurvivalsite.com/how-people-kept-houses-cool-before-air-conditioning/

Staying Cool-Solutions and Ideas When There is NO Power Ngcb11 (SNIP) ... our stalwart forebears survived heat waves without technology, and so can we – if we use some of their know-how. Here are 11 ways people kept their houses cool before AC was commonplace. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:41 pm

When we built this house one of the features I insisted on was a whole house fan. We don't use it a lot, but it sure comes in handy in cooler weather, and when we want to clear the air in the house (mustiness, strong cooking odors, and occasionally, smoke when something gets overcooked... Laughing

There are patterns and instructions on Pinterest and other sites for how to make the cooling gel neckerchiefs.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down