Friends and Family-Talking with & Including Them

+3
Drinkthekoolaid
jimLE
ReadyMom
7 posters

Go down

Friends and Family-Talking with & Including Them Empty Friends and Family-Talking with & Including Them

Post by ReadyMom Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:46 pm

The Importance of Friends and Family When the SHTF
https://www.theorganicprepper.com/selco-the-importance-of-friends-and-family-when-the-shtf/

(SNIP) . . .  some 15 years ago if something serious happened, some event that needed a strong group of bonded people in order to overcome that event (riots, serious weather event, disruption of law and order, war…) I could count probably on 15 people I really trusted, organizing together with me in a very short period of time.

Today if something serious happened, I can count maybe on 5 or 6 people.

I am talking about the number of people that I can trust with my life in a strong core group. ... --- CONTINUED ---

Last edited by ReadyMom on Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:22 pm; edited 3 times in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Friends and Family-Talking with & Including Them Empty Re: Friends and Family-Talking with & Including Them

Post by ReadyMom Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:30 am

How to talk to your friends and family about prepping

Admin

Back to top Go down

Friends and Family-Talking with & Including Them Empty Re: Friends and Family-Talking with & Including Them

Post by jimLE Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:57 am

well readymom.your doing better then i am.when it comes to people that you can trust that much.there's "probably" 3 people i can trust that much.but yet i have my doubt's on that.and that don't even include my family. in which i believe that i can't trust them to do what's right in a shtf situation.

expect the worst. Hope for the best. And capitalize on each situation the best you can..

“Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an example unto you to follow us. For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat. For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies.”
jimLE
jimLE

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:51 pm

jimLE wrote:well readymom.your doing better then i am.when it comes to people that you can trust that much.

jim ... that' wasn't me 'talking' in that report. It was the author of the article. So, I'm probably right next to you, with concerns on who to trust.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:29 am

8 Things You Should Do To Convince Loved Ones To Prepare
https://thepreppingguide.com/convince-loved-ones-about-prepping/

Friends and Family-Talking with & Including Them O-VINTAGE-PHOTO-COUPLE-ARGUING-facebook-1024x512   Your family is your survival team. But first, you need to convince them

Out of all the challenges we preppers face, none may be quite so close to home as trying to convince loved ones to prepare. When it comes to the preparedness lifestyle, even a longtime supportive and loving spouse may suddenly be against prepping and against your prepper mindset.   ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:22 am

Bridging the Gap Between Younger and Older Preppers: ...
https://www.backdoorsurvival.com/bridging-the-gap-between-younger-and-older-preppers-overcoming-misconceptions-getting-started-on-the-path-to-preparedness/

Friends and Family-Talking with & Including Them Collaboration-community-cooperation-461049-500x250 Maybe it is just me but it seems like there are not that many preppers out there that are in their 30s or younger. I have wanted to take some time to address this and encourage younger people to start prepping. This post may ruffle a few feathers but it is based on what I have observed in numerous prepping groups, on social media and when out in public. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinkthekoolaid Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:49 am

ReadyMom wrote:Bridging the Gap Between Younger and Older Preppers: ...
https://www.backdoorsurvival.com/bridging-the-gap-between-younger-and-older-preppers-overcoming-misconceptions-getting-started-on-the-path-to-preparedness/

Friends and Family-Talking with & Including Them Collaboration-community-cooperation-461049-500x250   Maybe it is just me but it seems like there are not that many preppers out there that are in their 30s or younger. I have wanted to take some time to address this and encourage younger people to start prepping. This post may ruffle a few feathers but it is based on what I have observed in numerous prepping groups, on social media and when out in public. ---CONTINUED---

I actually tend to fall in this category. I really probably only have a few people I could count on and that I have confidence in.

It's definitely not a common topic amongst the 20-40year olds. Most can't think of an abstract concept like all of a sudden the electrical grid is gone and what that means for everything else.

They have too much faith and reliance on technology and normalcy bias. Part of it is they are at the point in their life where they are working a lot, have young families, constantly running to activities etc.. they are busy and don't like thinking about unpleasant things, they would rather be willfully ignorant.

My wife isn't into prepping, she thinks it's a good idea a d knows I've made a lot of good points to her but she tolerates my prepping and supports it knowing it will be valuable sooner or later.

Drinkthekoolaid

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:00 pm

How To Get A Reluctant Significant Other To Prep
https://www.backdoorsurvival.com/how-to-get-a-reluctant-significant-other-to-prep/

Friends and Family-Talking with & Including Them Savs-neTlRcXEI40-unsplash-1500x600 I have noticed that a lot of people have expressed frustration with getting their spouse or partner to prep. When I was interviewed by Todd Sepulveda on The Prepper Website Podcast, I was asked how a guy can encourage his wife to prep. This got me thinking more on the subject ... ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:57 am

I may be one of the fortunate few who's spouse is already on board.. The best thing that I can think of is take them out and show them what people do if there is a snow storm forecast..

A few years back they predicted 5 to 8 inches of snow for the weekend .. My wife and I went to the grocery store just to see how people acted and it was the end of the world.. They acted like it was going to snow and never going away..

That was all it took. Now she is all about being prepared....

People need to learn to take care of themselves

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:12 pm

Power was off this morning, when I got up and the wife was a bit anxious. I looked out the window to see how far the darkness went. There were light across the river along a mountain side, so it wasn't an EMP. Had cell phone signal, so I called to power company, and found that their "trouble" number has been hi-jacked. Wife was a bit anxious.

So, I set up a couple battery powered lanterns, lit a gas burner, and made coffee without electricity, while I discussed what we would have done differently if it had been an EMP. Told her about a couple shortcomings I still have in my preps, and how we could do work arounds on some of them. Wife was a bit anxious.

Power came back on after a while, and she is a lot less anxious now. She has some faith in God, and some faith in me, but I can't seem to get her to put "action" into practice. Action is the antidote for anxiety. She did note that I wasn't chilly (house had dropped about 5 degrees before the gas burner stabilized it) because I was up and doing stuff.

I didn't tell her that every time I stop, I get a bit anxious.
Very Happy

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:32 am

8 Helpful Tips for Introducing the Prepper Lifestyle to Your Family
https://www.theprepperjournal.com/2020/04/23/8-helpful-tips-for-introducing-the-prepper-lifestyle-to-your-family/

Friends and Family-Talking with & Including Them Image2-3   (SNIP) ... Whether you’re trying to convince your extended or immediate family to adopt the prepper lifestyle, it can be a difficult task. Here’s why some people are leery of prepping for the worst and some simple tips to get your family on board.   ---CONTINUED---

Admin

rick1 and jimLE like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:03 am

I am blessed.

We have two sets of neighbors (and technically, 2 other sets a little ways away) whom we know will be with us.

My kids are on board even though they live in big cities. They have go-bags and are ready to leave at a moment's notice.

I have other family I've started on the road, they took off with it, and are now fully stocked as they can be. They don't live near me, but they can take care of their own families where they are.

That said, if the SHTF, after they run out of supplies, the plan is to converge here. All far-flung families/friends are dependent on water from controlled sources...we are not.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

rick1 and Dave58 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:01 pm

What To Do If Your Spouse Doesn’t Approve of Prepping
https://rethinksurvival.com/spouse-does-not-approve-of-prepping/

Friends and Family-Talking with & Including Them Disapprove-prepping-768x403   (SNIP) ... Unless you can effectively address your partner’s disapproval of your prepping, this is likely to become a more difficult part of your relationship. It can also negatively impact the efficacy of your actions and even your enthusiasm for the practice. So, we’re going to run through some of the elements you should consider in your response.   ---CONTINUED---

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:22 pm

Many years past, most of the advice for dating and marriage was to not discuss Politics or Religion. IMHO, this was a mistake. Especially the Religion part.

The world is not the same as it was back then. (Partly because we didn't discuss religion, sufficiently, with our current and future families.) You can ignore reality, but you cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

In the past year, I wrote a booklet (actually working on a series of booklets, but that one is done) called "Women in the Church," or something to that effect. I advise young men, if they are seriously dating a woman (possible marriage material) to discuss religion, world view and politics on the second or third date.

I probably should have included prepping.

There is no sense investing a lot of time and emotions in someone that you will never get along with.

TRex2

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:20 pm

TRex2 wrote:In the past year, I wrote a booklet (actually working on a series of booklets, but that one is done) called "Women in the Church," or something to that effect. I advise young men, if they are seriously dating a woman (possible marriage material) to discuss religion, world view and politics on the second or third date.

I probably should have included prepping.  

There is no sense investing a lot of time and emotions in someone that you will never get along with.

I talk with our family's younger generation about this all the time, now. Most are receptive. We shall see how my nephew/niece-in-law will be when they move here. She wants chickens and a cow, so I'm pretty sure they'll fit right in. Smile

Cinnamon
Cinnamon

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:42 pm

Cinnamon wrote:...
I talk with our family's younger generation about this all the time, now. Most are receptive. We shall see how my nephew/niece-in-law will be when they move here. She wants chickens and a cow, so I'm pretty sure they'll fit right in. Smile
I am afraid I have lost that battle, as everyone in my family has values dissimilar to mine.

I currently work with people outside my family, and if things don't change, I will do what the old man in did in  Billy Currington's song "People Are Crazy."

It is imperative that we do two things in the near future. One is to teach our ways (and theology) to the next generation (that would be people 10 - 40 years younger).

The other thing we must do is meet, in person, with people we think we know on the Net. This is especially important with people we have met on the Net since the Pandemic, since "large language models" AI are very good at "Catfishing."

https://www.brainwave-creative.com/blog/catfished-by-ai

Currently, I am confident that the top ten eleven posters (by number of posts) on here are human. Some day in the future, this might not be true.

TRex2

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:54 pm

TRex2 wrote:
Cinnamon wrote:...
I am afraid I have lost that battle, as everyone in my family has values dissimilar to mine.

I currently work with people outside my family, and if things don't change, I will do what the old man in did in  Billy Currington's song "People Are Crazy."

It is imperative that we do two things in the near future. One is to teach our ways (and theology) to the next generation (that would be people 10 - 40 years younger).

The other thing we must do is meet, in person, with people we think we know on the Net. This is especially important with people we have met on the Net since the Pandemic, since "large language models" AI are very good at "Catfishing."

https://www.brainwave-creative.com/blog/catfished-by-ai

Currently, I am confident that the top ten eleven posters (by number of posts) on here are human. Some day in the future, this might not be true.

We have 4 kids, 2 boys and 2 girls. 2 of the kids live out of state, so they're out. The other 2 kids their spouses and the 8 grandkids are all on board with everything. Heck, they work a lot of the farm now, chickens, cows, crops etc..

I guess I can consider me and the wife blessed and lucky.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down