Corn . . . . .

4 posters

Go down

Corn . . . . . Empty Corn . . . . .

Post by ReadyMom Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:21 am

Corn varieties for preppers
https://www.happypreppers.com/corn.html

Corn . . . . . Valley-food-corn-190x183   Corn, corn, preppers and corn! Preppers are a "corn fed" bunch, and as such, prepare their food storage with assorted provisions for corn (both as a vegetable and a grain). Yes, corn is both a grain and a vegetable! Corn as a grain is dried before harvesting, while corn as a vegetable is harvested fresh.*   ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Corn . . . . . Empty Re: Corn . . . . .

Post by rick1 Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:18 pm

This is the time of the year, if you want dent corn, to buy it. The big farms around here are selling it by the ton or by the 65 pound bag.

65 pounds of dent corn goes for $6.00, that's a lot of corn bread.

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:02 pm

Can you pop dent corn?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:55 am

ReadyMom wrote:Can you pop dent corn?
I don't think so. My understanding is that it doesn't have enough moisture.
Dent corn, as far as I can tell, is named that because of the concave sides to each kernel. Pop corn has a higher moisture content and is rounded.

Just as a thought, how do you store pop corn? (I am totally ignorant on the subject of pop corn storage.) It would seem to me that if you store it in an oxygen atmosphere, it would mildew, and in an oxygen free atmosphere it would give rise to botulism.

Hmmm, I just looked it up:
https://www.farmanddairy.com/top-stories/how-to-tell-the-difference-between-types-of-corn/279825.html
If you’re new to the farm world, you might be surprised to know that there is more than just the fresh sweet corn we eat in the summertime.

Field (dent), sweet and popcorn are the most popular types of corn grown in the U.S., according to Iowa State University Agronomy Extension. Corn is classified by its kernel type.

Here are the six corn varieties, as defined by the National Corn Handbook Project:

Popcorn has a hard, corneous endosperm and little soft starch. Usually, popcorn is like small-kerneled flint corn.

Popcorn kernels are pointed like rice or round like pearls. Primitive types of popcorn have thin seed coats, while varieties found more recently have thick seed coats.
I don't see anything about moisture, so I seem to have a lot to learn.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:57 am

ReadyMom wrote:Can you pop dent corn?

No, popcorn is a total different type of corn. There are numerous types of corn and within these types are dozens if not hundreds of styles of corn, many GMO types. Have you ever driven down the road next to a corn field and notice a sign next to the corn that has numbers/letters and manufacturer on the sign. Well, these are GMO types of corn. Here are the main types grown in the breadbasket of the U.S.. And yes, TRex2 is correct, moisture has everything to do with corn, no matter what type it is:

https://www.popcorn.org/Different-Types-of-Corn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:30 am

I bought dent corn, stored it in 30 gallon trash cans, which I thought were airtight, and with oxygen absorbers.

The corn mash moonshine reeked for weeks when we poured it out for the critters.

I guess myler bags, gamma-sealed buckets, and oxygen absorbers are the way to go.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:48 am

Cinnamon wrote:I bought dent corn, stored it in 30 gallon trash cans, which I thought were airtight, and with oxygen absorbers.

The corn mash moonshine reeked for weeks when we poured it out for the critters.

I guess myler bags, gamma-sealed buckets, and oxygen absorbers are the way to go.

Cin, although I grow field corn (dent) for my chickens and cows, I buy mine from another farmer for storage (SHTF).

I put mine in 5 gallon food grade buckets with gamma lids, lids are put on loose, so moisture doesn't build up and I hang the buckets from the trusses in the barn. I replace the corn every year, 150 pounds of it, the old corn gets fed to the chickens. It's sooooo cheap, costs me around $15.00 to $17.00 a year to replace.

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:04 am

Uh Oh ... I bought a couple of bags of popcorn kernels, when they went on sale at Sam's club (about 2 yrs. ago) and put the kernels in 3 gallon buckets/lids. So ... they could go bad? Guess I have to check them .... Ugh! I have buckets stacked on buckets. Neutral

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:57 am

ReadyMom wrote:Uh Oh ... I bought a couple of bags of popcorn kernels, when they went on sale at Sam's club (about 2 yrs. ago) and put the kernels in 3 gallon buckets/lids. So ... they could go bad? Guess I have to check them .... Ugh! I have buckets stacked on buckets. Neutral

Your popcorn should be OK, as popcorn is dehydrated to about 13.5% moisture. Now, hopefully you put in the 02 absorbers along with the moisture packets, if you did, you should be good to go.

ReadyMom, down where you live, dent corn should be dirt cheap, just replace it every year. Muffins,  bread, crust for pies, etc. and do away with stocking flour.

P.S. They're calling for snow next week here, can't wait.

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:40 pm

rick1 wrote:

ReadyMom, down where you live, dent corn should be dirt cheap, just replace it every year. Muffins,  bread, crust for pies, etc. and do away with stocking flour.

P.S. They're calling for snow next week here, can't wait.
If I do that, can I toss the year old corn into the woods for the deer? They would LOVE that!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:07 pm

ReadyMom wrote:

snip:

If I do that, can I toss the year old corn into the woods for the deer? They would LOVE that!

Of course, other critters will love the corn too, all types of birds, chippies, etc..

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:24 pm

Very Happy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down