+4
ReadyMom
TRex2
rick1
Cinnamon
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Moving from Twitter to Gab-Another Option Empty Moving from Twitter to Gab-Another Option

Post by Cinnamon Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:13 am

GAB.com - you can use the free section, or can sign up for your own channel/group for $15 a month or $99 a year (I think). You can join as many groups as you want for free. Entirely user-supported monetarily.

CEO Andrew Torba is Christian, Conservative, and Patriotic. Also has it's own servers, open-source, and I believe uses blockchain technology (I speak from total ignorance of what that is and why it's important).

It is FREE speech - there are people who use cuss words, etc. Few liberals, but most are conservative/right.

The groups are building as fast as people can get signed on. There are a few groups from when he first started it, but now the ex-FB users and others are building their own.

There's a news feed on the right side.

In fact, Emergency Home Preparation might consider moving over there - you can go Pro and have your own group, channel with video, and lists and such.

BIG WARNING: They have experienced millions and millions of visits and people signing on (over a million in one day) in the last few days - they've had to buy more servers to deal with the flow and the site is slow - but the team is working as fast as it can to get it stable.  

Sign on - give them a few weeks to get it all stable and enjoy.

Last edited by Cinnamon on Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Moving from Twitter to Gab-Another Option Empty Re: Moving from Twitter to Gab-Another Option

Post by rick1 Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:37 am

Cinnamon wrote:GAB.com - you can use the free section, or can sign up for your own channel/group for $15 a month or $99 a year (I think). You can join as many groups as you want for free. Entirely user-supported monetarily.

CEO Andrew Torba is Christian, Conservative, and Patriotic. Also has it's own servers, open-source, and I believe uses blockchain technology (I speak from total ignorance of what that is and why it's important).

It is FREE speech - there are people who use cuss words, etc. Few liberals, but most are conservative/right.

The groups are building as fast as people can get signed on. There are a few groups from when he first started it, but now the ex-FB users and others are building their own.

There's a news feed on the right side.

In fact, Emergency Home Preparation might consider moving over there - you can go Pro and have your own group, channel with video, and lists and such.

BIG WARNING: They have experienced millions and millions of visits and people signing on (over a million in one day) in the last few days - they've had to buy more servers to deal with the flow and the site is slow - but the team is working as fast as it can to get it stable.  

Sign on - give them a few weeks to get it all stable and enjoy.

That's good Cin, but how long will it take for the far left demonrats of America have it taken down?

Back to top Go down

Moving from Twitter to Gab-Another Option Empty Re: Moving from Twitter to Gab-Another Option

Post by rick1 Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:43 am

Cin read this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gab_(social_network)

I don't know if ReadyMom would really want to move EHP to this sight after reading this. The wikipedia writing must have been written by some far left DEMONRAT.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:55 pm

My understanding is that it cannot be taken down - they've tried before. The CEO worked in Silicon Valley for years and has a deep understanding of how the back channels work. According to his own team, they've fire-proofed GAB as much as possible.

Also - it is not "Twitter-like" - it is more like FaceBook with YouTube and Etsy thrown in for good measure. They have their own personal pages like FB, groups/forums like here, private chat like Messenger, their own TV channel, and a merchandise store, too.

According to them, you can have all that too if you go Pro. So folks who want to sell goods and services might find it all encompassing.

My boss is planning to get established there and is in the process of moving in. We'll keep our old stuff on FB, website, and other places for a bit, but the goal is to move our operations completely over to GAB.

Not trying to sell the place - just noting all the stuff they claim to have. I'm floating around for free, checking news, making the occasional post, joining groups I'm interested in, and generally getting to know the place.

As for Wikipedia... I have no words. I knew they'd lost the bubble, but wow.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Moving from Twitter to Gab-Another Option Empty Moving from Titter to Gab-Another Option

Post by TRex2 Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:48 am

I am planning to check into Gab, as well, just haven't had time, yet.
EDIT (deleted what I added, no longer relevant).

First time I ever heard that expression, but it is a little like the one my dad used to use, to say someone had lost their marbles.

Wikipedia has always been Left Leaning. Sometimes I cut and paste stuff they write into a text document, and then put it through my "Truth-O-Translator,"(TM) then keep a copy of the corrected stuff, since it is a bit of work to do the research and rewrite it. Example of the Proud Boys, from last year, is below.

I prefer Conservapedia, unless it is a subject they don't cover. (They are not nearly as big as Wilipedia.)

The Truth-O-Translator

This is a process where I, personally, go through a Leftist version of a story or desciption, and remove (or alter them to make them true) Leftist Talking Points, Self Contradicting Statements, and other things that I already know are lies.

It isn't a complete process, as I will leave in some stuff that I am not sure of.
I rarely change anything that is already true. (I am pretty good at this.)
The following is just a part of what I have for them, so you can compare it to the Wikipedia article.
From Wiki and put thru Truth-o-Translater
The Proud Boys is a far-right organization that admits only men as members. They are know to  engage in political violence, when assaulted. It is based in the United States and has a presence in Canada, Australia, and the United Kingdom. The group was started as a joke in the far-right Taki's Magazine in 2016 by Vice Media co-founder and former commentator Gavin McInnes, taking its name from the song "Proud of Your Boy" from the Disney film Aladdin. Proud Boys emerged as part of the alt-right, but in early 2017, McInnes began distancing himself from the alt-right, saying the alt-right's focus is race while his focus is what he defines as "Western values". This re-branding effort intensified after the Unite the Right Rally.
The group believes men - especially white men - and Western culture are under siege.
Officially, the group rejects white supremacy, though members have participated in multiple racist events and is centered around anti-left violence,
FBI falsely accused it of being a hate group, but retracted after it became known they were following the lead of the well known Leftist Hate Group known as the SPLC.

Last edited by TRex2 on Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:28 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Changed the note color ... couldn't read that bright neon blue. (old eyes, I guess))

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:30 pm

I did a little bit of checking on Gab.
Looks pretty good. Some limitations.
Can't seem to read their terms of service, until I get an account.
Will check it out more, sign up for it, tomorrow.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:51 pm

TRex2 wrote:I did a little bit of checking on Gab.
Looks pretty good. Some limitations.
Can't seem to read their terms of service, until I get an account.
Will check it out more, sign up for it, tomorrow.

Hey TRex, well you're checking out Gab, check out rumble.com they have more videos than youtube and they don't checkmate ya (sensor).

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:34 am

Interesting video between Mark Leven and the CEO of Parler from last evening on FOX:

https://rumble.com/vcx267-parler-ceo-no-indication-shutdown-threats-were-serious-until-last-minute.html

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:36 am

by rick1 Today at 7:34 am
Interesting video
Until you posted that, I didn't realize that we didn't get book markers on both threads. There is a separate thread for Parler. This link will take you there, where I will respond to the "rumble" link. As soon as you post again, over on that thread, you will be following them both.
TRex
https://emergencyhomeprep.forumotion.com/t1902-moving-from-titter-to-parler#10793

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:43 pm

TRex2 wrote:
Interesting video
Until you posted that, I didn't realize that we didn't get book markers on both threads. There is a separate thread for Parler. This link will take you there, where I will respond to the "rumble" link. As soon as you post again, over on that thread, you will be following them both.
TRex
https://emergencyhomeprep.forumotion.com/t1902-moving-from-titter-to-parler#10793

Oooops, brain fart Head Slap

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:21 pm

rick1 wrote:
TRex2 wrote:
Interesting video
Until you posted that, ...
Oooops, brain fart Head Slap
Profitable, though.
Had you not done that, I wouldn't have known I was no longer subscribed to the Parler thread.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:32 pm

OK, I signed up for Gab.
Here is what I learned.

The first things they ask for are Screen Name and email address.
(Most of you know, by now, that I recommend you have a separate email address, just for forum and blog use. ReadyMom coined the term Ghost E-mail account, and that sounds like a good thing to call it.)

It does not require  a real name, just screen name or pseudonym.
(Oddly, they ask you for that screen name, again, later, which tells me that policies are in flux.)

Don't skimp on password strength, remember, we will be under attack in the future, even though Gab Forums don't ask for any personal info at this stage.

Need a photo or avatar for your profile, and one to go next to your screen name.
(I used same for both, hope I can change them later.)

While you are putting your info it sends an email verification request
as soon as you respond, it updates your screen to show your "Gab Home" page.

Since EHP doesn't have a group, at this time, I randomly joined a few groups I might find interesting.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:44 pm

Gab has grown from 800 thousand occasional users to around 3 million users, many of them dedicated, in less than a week.

Currently its systems seem to be having trouble keeping up. The CEO, on Sat, said hold on tight: more servers are on the way.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:57 am

Gab was running smoothly at 3:30 this morning, so here is a bit more info.

Profile Photo:
The system will accept any photo, but
it seems it will trim it to a rectangular 3:1 ratio (landscape)
Oversized files are down scaled to 1500x500px

Avatar, the system will trim it to a rectangle,
reduce it to 400x400,
then show the center circular area of that rectangle

I haven't figured out how to change mine.

Before too long after you establish an account,
you should go to "settings" then click "preferences,"
and click:
"Opt out of search engine"
"Hide your network"
This will make our network simi private.

Ready Mom can create a group, and figure out how she wants to advertise her site and I will rewrite this part, if she wishes, but for now, the environment is hostile and we may want to make this "invitation only."

I will admit that, in a social network of any kind, I am a fish out of water.

If you begin getting followers that you don't want,
you can go to "Profile" click "Appearance"
Checking "lock account" will prevent others from
following you without your permission

Once we get up and running, we have to remember "likes" are worth something over there

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:38 am

Oke ... I have set up a 'Group Page' over on Gab. 'Emergency Home Preparation'  It's going to be password protected, for now and I'll have it set aside  for member use only to go to, if we need it (if this site goes down, etc.) . So, if you want access, send me a PM.

Like mentioned above, I can make it public at any time. Which I think is what it probably should be. But for now, we can use it as an alternate site for communication.

We won't have topics, like we do here. It'll just be a rolling news feed stream.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:55 pm

If I understand, correctly, we can make our stuff visible for others to read, without making it accessible for others to comment.

That might be a good thing.

Also, "Likes" over there are meaningful, so we ought to remind everyone that when someone posts something over there, each person giving it a "Like" helps the individual, and our group as a whole.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:46 pm

Gab is still having trouble with server overloads. Too many new users, they can't scale up capacity fast enough. Works great from 2AM to around 4:30AM (Central time), but by 7AM (CST) it is sluggish and sometimes won't display stuff, and right now it won't even tell me what "groups" I have subscribed to.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:58 pm

TRex2 wrote:Gab is still having trouble with server overloads. Too many new users, they can't scale up capacity fast enough. Works great from 2AM to around 4:30AM (Central time), but by 7AM (CST) it is sluggish and sometimes won't display stuff, and right now it won't even tell me what "groups" I have subscribed to.
Takes a few seconds for me and then I get right on my personal page. Click on groups and our EHP page is coming right up. So far, so good. Very infrequently I'm having trouble now. I just need 'friends' over there! ALso need folks from EHP to join the EHP page, so we have an alternate site of communication, if needed.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:50 pm

ReadyMom wrote:
TRex2 wrote:Gab is still having trouble with server overloads. Too many new users, they can't scale up capacity fast enough. Works great from 2AM to around 4:30AM (Central time), but by 7AM (CST) it is sluggish and sometimes won't display stuff, and right now it won't even tell me what "groups" I have subscribed to.
Takes a few seconds for me and then I get right on my personal page. Click on groups and our EHP page is coming right up. So far, so good. Very infrequently I'm having trouble now. I just need 'friends' over there!  ALso need folks from EHP to join the EHP page, so we have an alternate site of communication, if needed.

Oh, I can get on Gab, I joined and still can't find EHP on it, I search under emergency and 25 of them come up, but no EHP. I've clicked on groups, go through them, nope, nope, no EHP. Head Bang-Comp

Now I have a headache from beating my head on the keyboard.

Have to go up and break up ice on the pond so the cows can get some water, I'll try again when I get back.

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:52 pm

rick1 wrote:
ReadyMom wrote:
Takes a few seconds for me and then I get right on my personal page. Click on groups and our EHP page is coming right up. So far, so good. Very infrequently I'm having trouble now. I just need 'friends' over there!  ALso need folks from EHP to join the EHP page, so we have an alternate site of communication, if needed.

Oh, I can get on Gab, I joined and still can't find EHP on it, I search under emergency and 25 of them come up, but no EHP. I've clicked on groups, go through them, nope, nope, no EHP. Head Bang-Comp

Have to go up and break up ice on the pond so the cows can get some water, I'll try again when I get back.
Rick, I don't know what to tell ya! Try this link: https://gab.com/groups/21435 (its the link in the tool bar, when I'm on the EHP-Gab home page.)

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:33 pm

rick1 wrote:
ReadyMom wrote:

I had the same experience Computer-Hit

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:37 pm

Finally got on their ,sent a request

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:42 pm

ReadyMom wrote:
rick1 wrote:
ReadyMom wrote:

Rick, I don't know what to tell ya!  Try this link: https://gab.com/groups/21435   (its the link in the tool bar, when I'm on the EHP-Gab home page.)

OK, now the cows are happy.

ReadyMom, I clicked on you link and it worked. But, it won't let me join the group, nor will it show me the 2 members that have joined.

Dave, click on the link ReadyMom posed, it should work for ya.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:52 pm

Yeah, it is important to get these things ironed out, before things get dicey.

I am getting the correct stuff on Gab now. They probably got more servers on line, right after I gave up. They have been expanding by thousands of new people per hour.
I think they are still experiencing problems.
I got on OK this morning but right now it won't let me on through a US server. I routed through Canada and it allowed me on, but it is running slow. Won't let me into any groups.

I will try again, later.

TRex2

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:41 pm

TRex2 wrote:
Yeah, it is important to get these things ironed out, before things get dicey...
I think they are still experiencing problems.
I will try again, later.
And, things seem to be working again.
Looks like middle of the day, they get overloaded.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:48 pm

I'm getting VERY frustrated with Gab. So many times I can't access the EHP Friends page. And when I can eventually access my own personal page it says there are no posts and I *know* there are. Many times, I click on the 'groups' option and nothing pops up. Not a single thing.

I'm going to hold off on using this app, for a while. Too many other things to do than play with that app for a long time each day.

If anyone knows of another app that is safe & reliable. Please share.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:51 am

ReadyMom wrote:I'm getting VERY frustrated with Gab. So many times I can't access the EHP Friends page. And when I can eventually access my own personal page it says there are no posts and I *know* there are. Many times, I click on the 'groups' option and nothing pops up. Not a single thing.
Yep, that is exactly what I have been experiencing, and it means the servers are overloaded. When they get overloaded, the system runs out of time before it sees anything, so it reports that there is nothing to see.

I'm going to hold off on using this app, for a while. Too many other things to do than play with that app for a long time each day.

If anyone knows of another app that is safe & reliable. Please share.
I have had trouble with almost every system that is geared towards allowing C&C's to speak freely. The only ones that are lacking traffic are those catering to liberals. (This is a good thing, if you think about it. It means a lot of us are voting with our feet. Or clicks.)

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:01 am

Check out mewe.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinkthekoolaid Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:25 pm

Subbing to follow along. I may sign up at gab. I don't have any social media like that, trying to learn about it now

Drinkthekoolaid

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:43 pm

rick1 wrote:Check out mewe.com
There isn't anything wrong with mewe, as far as I know. I looked at it, several months ago, and didn't much like the format. It might be worth another look, but a person can only handle so many social networks, so it will be a while before I can take a look at it.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:52 pm

I am giving them all a try to see which I like the best. Only problem, like TRex said ... you can't do them all. I have few to none of anyone I know on any of them. Seems folks are complaining abt. FB, but not moving.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:22 pm

TRex2 wrote:
rick1 wrote:Check out mewe.com
There isn't anything wrong with mewe, as far as I know. I looked at it, several months ago, and didn't much like the format. It might be worth another look, but a person can only handle so many social networks, so it will be a while before I can take a look at it.
Well, I will have to change my mind on MeWe.

https://censorship.news/2021-01-27-mewe-goes-big-tech-authoritarian-political-censorship.html
MeWe is NOT an "anything goes" site like Parler or Gab. MeWe's TOS is strict & clear (https://t.co/oJP1JvrxiZ)- haters, lawbreakers, violence inciters etc. are not welcome. We have an outstanding Trust & Safety team that works hard every day to investigate & remove TOS-violators

— MeWe (@mewe) January 10, 2021

An overwhelming majority of Americans who attended ‘Stop the Steal’ protests are peaceful and non-violent, with only a handful getting out of control during the January 6th raucous US Capitol riot. MeWe’s decision to implement political censorship en masse makes it no different than the worst Big Tech authoritarians, except for the deceptive marketing of a free speech social media platform.

In any event, a social media platform that bans arbitrarily defined “haters” is almost assured to have draconian anti-free speech policies. MeWe has opted for the path of a minuscule Big Tech clone in a betrayal of its own user base.
Not only should "haters" ring alarm bells, but "safety" should, as well. All you have to know is the history of those who use that word for censroship.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:32 pm

Drinkthekoolaid wrote:Subbing to follow along. I may sign up at gab. I don't have any social media like that, trying to learn about it now
It is the first one that I think I may stay on.

I do searches that get Twitter hits, and can hardly stand to read them. Reddit is over run by Leftists, but used to have some conservative corners. Now they and Discord have begun a "purge" or Ban of the Gamestop discussions on stock trading.

At this time, Gab is the only place I like, that isn't a regular forum like EHP, or blog.

It takes a little getting used to, and I still don't know everything about it, but it seems to be useful as a communication platform.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:29 am

Cinnamon wrote:My understanding is that it cannot be taken down - they've tried before. The CEO worked in Silicon Valley for years and has a deep understanding of how the back channels work. According to his own team, they've fire-proofed GAB as much as possible.

Well, I won't agree with "cannot" be taken down, but I do agree they have fire-proofed it pretty well. Just the same, I am working on "a back up to our back up."

Also - it is not "Twitter-like" - it is more like FaceBook with YouTube and Etsy thrown in for good measure. They have their own personal pages like FB, groups/forums like here, private chat like Messenger, their own TV channel, and a merchandise store, too.

According to them, you can have all that too if you go Pro. So folks who want to sell goods and services might find it all encompassing.
While I am not planning to go pro, I haven't ruled out some sort of financial support. (Cutting off their financial support, in an "Operation Chokehold" sort of way might be their achilles heel.)

My boss is planning to get established there and is in the process of moving in. We'll keep our old stuff on FB, website, and other places for a bit, but the goal is to move our operations completely over to GAB.

Not trying to sell the place - just noting all the stuff they claim to have. I'm floating around for free, checking news, making the occasional post, joining groups I'm interested in, and generally getting to know the place.  

Systems like Wikipedia, Facebook and Gab tend to drift further and further from center, until they are either forced to take some action to correct course or until they are overwhelmed by insanity. The bigger the administrative system (like Facebook and Google) the more likely they are to either be driven to insanity by their own insiders. A looser system will be driven to insanity by their users (Reddit). Only smaller operations (like smaller forums) can successfully correct their course.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:27 pm

Gab seems to be running a lot smoother. They have done a lot of work on it, over the past week.

Gab Devs
@developers
Performance Update: we're still working to resolve some high p99 times (the slowest 1% of requests), but have brought average transaction times down to very acceptable levels.

We still have lots of room for improvement in the codebase, and are working constantly to achieve stability.
I haven't seen any errors today.

TRex2

ReadyMom likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:08 pm

TRex2 wrote:Gab seems to be running a lot smoother. They have done a lot of work on it, over the past week.

Gab Devs
@developers
Performance Update: we're still working to resolve some high p99 times (the slowest 1% of requests), but have brought average transaction times down to very acceptable levels.

We still have lots of room for improvement in the codebase, and are working constantly to achieve stability.
I haven't seen any errors today.
Gab showed evidence of overload this evening at 6pm central. Other than that, it has been running smoothly. (It is probably being attacked by Leftists, in an attempt to prevent uploading of information showing what a loony circus is going on in the Senate.)

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:34 am

Gab running smoothly again, this morning.
Here is another reason to move to Gab, from places like instagram.

https://gab.com/destroyingtheillusion/posts/105714157663110033
Big Tech admitting they read your "private" messages - must be pretty desperate to control the narrative if they're trying to find that arbitrary "hate speech" in people's DMs.
Remembering that they define hate speach as anything they disagree with, and that is subject to change, so that what you say today may be called hate speech tomorrow.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:15 am

I'm still poking around, not doing much with it right now. I'm busy with homestead things, and haven't had much time to surf the internet.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:20 am

Parler is back!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:30 am

ReadyMom wrote:Parler is back!
OK, I will poke around on it some, and reopen the discussion on the other thread:
https://emergencyhomeprep.forumotion.com/t1902-moving-from-titter-to-parler#10907

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by Blondie Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:15 pm

Blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:31 pm

Blondie wrote:Reports this morning that GAB has been hacked over the weekend.

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/gab-hacked-group-promises-gold-mine-info-militias-neo-nazis-qanon

Most important take away is that the passwords were stolen along with everything else.

Hopefully everyone is following good OpSec and not reusing passwords, but if you mistakenly used a password multiple times then it's a great time to change your passwords.

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:16 am

OK, sorry I didn't get in here yesterday.

Yes, the passwords were stolen, but your log in password was stolen in its encrypted form, so it might be ok.

At least for a while.
Also, the stolen information isn't being distributed. Not yet, anyway.

Just the same, it is time to change your password, if you have a Gab account.

I will post more about this later today.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:14 pm

Welcome to the Declining Years of America , where,
if you fall into one or more of these categories:
Conservative,
Constitutionalist,
Libertarian,
Christian,
Straight,
you have to take precautions on the Internet.

There are people out there who have made it their mission in life to drive us from the village square, get us fired from our jobs, and deny us fundamental necessities like a bank account.

I use, and strongly recommend, four things to help shield us from this threat.

One is a VPN. And that is the only thing that you actually have to pay for.
(Should not be more than $6 a month. I got in three years ago for $3 a month.)
This will prevent your ISP from selling data that may compromise you, and if it is a good one, will block web sites from seeing exactly who you are.

The second: insure you use strong passwords. The passwords we used years ago are just not good enough any more. They need to be twelve or more characters, as opposed to the eight characters we used in the past. And there should be no discernible pattern in it (and don't use a discernible pattern on the keyboard, either, hackers are onto that trick).

Third, never use your real name when you express opinions and form alliances on forums or social media. Use a pseudonym that you will easily recognize, and that isn't used by too many other people (it isn't important if a few others use it, as long as you don't write on the same forum they do) and isn't used by anyone who is notoriously evil.)

Fourth. Get a "for forums only" email address. Don't use your real name with it, either. This way, you can give out your email address in a PM and if the board gets hacked, the hacker still doesn't get your real name. I suggest using your favorite pseudonym, the one you use on your favorite forum, as your email nym, but that isn't necessary. (I am TRex2 on several different forums, and my email address is TRex2, also.) I recommend mail.com, because they don't ask too many question, but there are a lot of other good ones out there, also.

There are two other things I use, and recommend:
A dedicated password manager,
The Brave Browser,
but those are not as important as the first four.

I will put a copy of this on a thread dedicated to "Internet Safety," and explain more, later.

These things seem paranoid, but the threat to ourselves and our families is growing greater with every month that passes.

Last edited by TRex2 on Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:11 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : enhancements)

TRex2

ReadyMom likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:10 pm

Information may be going up for sale in the near future.

https://gab.com/a/posts/105817612369949098
DDS announced that it would only be making the leak available to journalists and researchers for “ethical” reasons. At the same time, an individual who claimed to be the hacker sent us a ransom demand for nearly $500,000 in Bitcoin. We immediately notified federal law enforcement.

This ransom demand would be worthless if DDS did what it had done with other hacks in the past – i.e., publishing them in full, as it did with leaks from another free speech website, Parler, earlier in the month.

Ugh! Crying or Very sad

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:19 pm

Well, some small amount of good news, about Gab.

1. Gab has told the hackers, who wanted money not to release the data, to pound sand. (In the short run, it makes it just a little more likely the data will be sold to people who don't like Patriots, but in the long run, less likely to happen again.)

2. The leak that allowed the data to be stolen has been patched.

3. I downloaded several pictures from the site, from people who have no interest in privacy or security, and the EXIF data was scrubbed from them, so it appears Gab is doing a good job on that.

I will eventually get an account at Parler, and do the same with them.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:38 pm

Is anyone here also posting, or even reading anything on Gab?

(I mean, other than me, since I have about 29 posts and comments over there)

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:39 pm

TRex2 wrote:Is anyone here also posting, or even reading anything on Gab?

I go on once in awhile, you probably read this on there, I'm going to post in under gun control:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicksibilla/2021/03/23/biden-administration-urges-supreme-court-to-let-cops-enter-homes-and-seize-guns-without-a-warrant/?sh=78fc5ad72829

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:11 am

rick1 wrote:

I go on once in awhile, you probably read this on there, I'm going to post in under gun control:
No, I hadn't read it, but thanks for responding that you do, at least once in a while, read stuff on Gab. I saw your post over on gun control, and let me say that it is just one symptom of the end of our country. Our window of opportunity to establish secure (both public and private, and most important, resistant to censorship) communications networks is closing fast. That is why I am pushing this.

It looks like Gab will become an important part of our networks.

TRex2

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:51 pm

TRex2 wrote:
rick1 wrote:

No, I hadn't read it, but thanks for responding that you do, at least once in a while, read stuff on Gab. I saw your post over on gun control, and let me say that it is just one symptom of the end of our country. Our window of opportunity to establish secure (both public and private, and most important, resistant to censorship) communications networks is closing fast. That is why I am pushing this.

It looks like Gab will become an important part of our networks.

Supposedly Trump is going to start his own platform, how is he going to get around apple, google, etc.?

Does anybody know?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum