Canning Supplies

5 posters

Go down

Canning Supplies  Empty Canning Supplies

Post by TRex2 Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:08 pm

The great canning supply shortage of 2020 may be coming to an end.

I saw canning supplies on the shelf at more than one grocer, in the past two weeks.

Ball Jars, or Mason Jars, for somewhere in the neighborhood of $1 per jar (this is with a lid and ring), and today I saw boxes of canning lids (Ball brand). I don't recall seeing boxes of canning lids on the shelf in the past 12 months.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Canning Supplies  Empty Re: Canning Supplies

Post by TRex2 Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:08 am

TRex2 wrote:The great canning supply shortage of 2020 may be coming to an end.

I saw canning supplies on the shelf at more than one grocer, in the past two weeks.

Ball Jars, or Mason Jars, for somewhere in the neighborhood of $1 per jar (this is with a lid and ring), and today I saw boxes of canning lids (Ball brand). I don't recall seeing boxes of canning lids on the shelf in the past 12 months.
Well, here we are, 8 months later, and there are signs, once again, of the end of the canning supplies shortage.

Now might be a good time to make lists and budget (both money and storage area), to acquire a three years supply if jars and lids.

TRex2

rick1 and Dave58 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:38 am

TRex2 wrote:
TRex2 wrote:The great canning supply shortage of 2020 may be coming to an end.

Well, here we are, 8 months later, and there are signs, once again, of the end of the canning supplies shortage.

Now might be a good time to make lists and budget (both money and storage area), to acquire a three years supply if jars and lids.

Agree-sign Agree-sign

I just started canning again for the year... I usually start with carrots I buy at Wal-Mart 5lbs for 3.60 I can get 18 pints out of 10lb....

I think its a great idea to start buying jars and lids now.. I think there will be quite a few people raising gardens and trying canning for the first time this year... My wife and I collected a lot of jars from yard sales

Dave58

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:40 pm

The wife picked up canning lids at dollar general last week, we have more then enough jars. We freeze more then we can.

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:17 pm

Just another update:

I have seen canning lids, Ball and Kerr brands, at WalMart, the last two Wednesdays (I go about sunrise).

Price seems a little high, at around 50 to 60 cents per lid for regular jars and around 70 to 80 cents per lid for wide mouth.

I have a suspicion this is the new normal: just as with ammo, the new price will be two or three times the pre-pandemic price.

And, just as with ammo, I suggest keeping a three year supply on hand.

TRex2

Dave58 and Violet like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Violet Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:59 pm

I've been picking up extra jars and lids each time I see them. If I end up with too many then I think this could end up being a good barter item Sad if things get as bad as I think they will
Violet
Violet

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:54 am

Violet wrote:I've been picking up extra jars and lids each time I see them.  If I end up with too many then I think this could end up being a good barter item Sad  if things get as bad as I think they will

I don't think there is such a thing as to many jars or lids..

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:09 pm

Dave58 wrote:
Violet wrote:I've been picking up extra jars and lids each time I see them.  If I end up with too many then I think this could end up being a good barter item Sad  if things get as bad as I think they will

I don't think there is such a thing as to many jars or lids..
Jars are still plentiful, but I walked by the canning isle of my local grocer, and the lids were sold out.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:51 pm

We've been picking up both jars and lids as we see them. I do have 4 boxes of Tatler lids, too (100 lids in each box, both wide mouth and regular). Tatlers are reusable, but I don't like to use them because when I give jars away, I don't get them back! So I have them for emergency use only.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum