Land Line Phones

2 posters

Go down

Land Line Phones Empty Land Line Phones

Post by ReadyMom Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:07 am

9 Reasons Every Prepper Needs A Landline Phone
https://urbansurvivalsite.com/reasons-every-prepper-needs-a-landline-phone/

Land Line Phones Ngcb11 Following a Disaster, a Landline Phone is Often More Reliable Than a Cell Phone.

(SNIP) ... I pay a lot for my cell phone service so why should I pay for a landline that never rings anymore? That makes sense, especially if your finances are tight, but the old landline phones may be one of your best bets for communication in a disaster. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Land Line Phones Empty Re: Land Line Phones

Post by dmwalsh568 Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:24 pm

ReadyMom wrote:9 Reasons Every Prepper Needs A Landline Phone
https://urbansurvivalsite.com/reasons-every-prepper-needs-a-landline-phone/

Land Line Phones Ngcb11   Following a Disaster, a Landline Phone is Often More Reliable Than a Cell Phone.

(SNIP) ... I pay a lot for my cell phone service so why should I pay for a landline that never rings anymore? That makes sense, especially if your finances are tight, but the old landline phones may be one of your best bets for communication in a disaster.   ---CONTINUED---

While I have a landline as a backup to my cell when home, folks need to be aware that not all landlines are the same anymore.

Back in the good old days a landline was copper to the phone company switching station.

These days phone companies are actively decommissioning their copper and replacing it with fiber optic. It means quality is improved, but it’s dependent on power at each point in the circuit. Fiber can’t transmit electricity so any switch gear and the terminal in your home or office needs power to work.

And if you get a phone line from your cable tv provider then it’s most likely VoIP which means it runs on the same lines as the internet. So whenever the internet is out at your home you’ll probably lose phones too.

My home landline is this last type - a VoIP line from Comcast. Since I have backup power it will keep working until Comcast’s battery packs at the repeaters runs down. Usually a few hours around here.

So why do I pay for it? Simple, the landline is tied to a physical location so in a medical emergency the 911 dispatcher knows where I am even if I can’t talk. And it’s a separate system from the cellular network so it might work when cellular is off for whatever reason.

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down