Masks-They Have a Shelf Life!

2 posters

Go down

Masks-They Have a Shelf Life! Empty Masks-They Have a Shelf Life!

Post by ReadyMom Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:33 pm

Well, this is the first time that I'm reading about this and I'm concerned. I have a LOT of masks stored away! LOTS! It's not something you use everyday and I never thought about them degrading in any way. This stuff is expensive to get, too! -sigh-

Why Do Disposable Respirators Have a Defined Shelf Life?
https://workersafety.3m.com/why-do-disposable-respirators-have-a-defined-shelf-life/

ST. PAUL, Minn. – If you’re responsible for managing inventories of personal protection equipment, you should be aware that most disposable respirators – used to protect wearers against particulate airborne hazards – have a limited shelf life, after which they should no longer be used.

But what does it mean for a respirator to “expire?” Let’s find out.

Disposable respirators can help reduce exposures to potentially harmful substances, such as various particulate hazards. The specially designed filter media traps particulates that pass through when the wearer inhales air. A good fit on the face is critical, since a proper seal helps keep outside air from leaking around the edges of the respirator. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Masks-They Have a Shelf Life! Empty Re: Masks-They Have a Shelf Life!

Post by TRex2 Fri May 28, 2021 6:41 pm

I found this article and I am bumping it for a few reasons. First is that N95's should be coming back into the realm of "anyone can get them, at a reasonable price." So it is time to begin looking at our stockpiles (what is left of them, anyway) checking those expiration dates, and restocking.

The article says to rotate your stock so they don't expire, and I didn't need them around here, so I already gave half of my stock away to someone who did need them. Once I begin to restock, I will donate the rest of my stockpile.

The second is to provide extra incentive. You would think that, after this pandemic, the government would be busy restocking the Strategic National Stockpile. But no. Doing the right thing seems antithetical to this Administration, and here is a clue for what they are doing:

https://www.phe.gov/about/aspr/Pages/aspr-fy2021-bib.aspx
The budget for dealing with the next pandemic has been cut by about 4%, relative to last year's authorizations.
And, nowhere in this does it discuss PPE or any other non-medical measures to slow the spread of the next pandemic virus.

That means we, preppers and local community teams, will need to be extra prepared. (Pandemic wasn't really even on my radar 18 months ago, and I was already better prepared than most people.)

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum