Isolation-How to Set Up a 'Sick Room'

Go down

Isolation-How to Set Up a 'Sick Room' Empty Isolation-How to Set Up a 'Sick Room'

Post by ReadyMom Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:51 pm

Checklist for Setting Up a Sick Room in the Home
http://www.pandemichomecare.com/files/2261183/uploaded/Checklist%20for%20Setting%20Up%20a%20Sick%20Room%20.pdf

If possible, set up the sick room in a bedroom or another separate roomin the house.
The room should have good lighting, a window that opens, and easy access to a personal
bathroom with a sink and running water.

If a separate room is not available for the sick room, you will have to improvise by sectioning off part of a room for the sick person.  And if the sick person and other family members will have to use the same bathroom, all hard surfaces should be cleaned each day with a disinfectant like rubbing alcohol or Lysol® (especially the sink and faucet handles). Towels, water bottles, drinking glasses, and other personal care items used by the sick person, should not be used by other family members.  
Basic sick room equipment includes:  ---CONTINUEd---

Last edited by ReadyMom on Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Isolation-How to Set Up a 'Sick Room' Empty Re: Isolation-How to Set Up a 'Sick Room'

Post by ReadyMom Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:56 pm

The Well-Stocked Sick Room
http://readynutrition.com/resources/the-well-stocked-sick-room_08122011/

To decrease the chances of an infectious illness spreading and infecting other household members, it is important that every effort be made to keep the illness in a contained area. A sick room in the home can achieve this, as well as assist in limiting the number of people who have close contact with the sick person.

Characteristics of the Ideal Sick Room

To ensure that the sickness is as contained as possible, set up the sick room in a bedroom or another separate room in the house. Ensure that the room has good lighting, a window that opens, and easy access to a personal bathroom with a sink and running water. Further, to err on the side of caution and make sure the illness is not spread into other parts of the household, create a secured area using plastic sheeting on the outside of the room to remove clothing and items worn inside the room. A trash can can be added to discard items. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Isolation-How to Set Up a 'Sick Room' Empty Re: Isolation-How to Set Up a 'Sick Room'

Post by ReadyMom Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:59 pm

Setting Up A Survival Sick Room
https://www.doomandbloom.net/setting-up-a-survival-sick-room/

In normal times, we have the luxury of modern medical facilities that can isolate a sick patient from healthy people. In a survival scenario, however, most organized medical care will no longer exist, placing the average citizen into the position of medic for his/her family or community.

Although we may be thrown back to the 19th century medically by a disaster, we have the benefit of knowing about infections and hygiene. The knowledge of how contagious diseases are spread and how to sterilize supplies give us a major advantage over medical personnel of bygone eras.

Using this knowledge, it should be possible for a medically prepared person to put together a “sick room” or “hospital tent” that will minimize the chance of infectious disease running rampant through the community. The cornerstone of care is to deal effectively and humanely with the sick while keeping the healthy from becoming infected. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:04 pm

Setting Up A Sick Room in Your Home, by G.A. (RN)
https://survivalblog.com/setting-up-a-sick-room-in-your-home-by-ga-rn/

The time may come when normal medical facilities are not available for any number of reasons. If a family member were sick or injured, would you have the supplies and skills to care for them in your home? After 26 years as a registered nurse (RN) working in a hospital setting with a multitude of different types of patients, I have learned the procedures, tips, and tricks for making patient care easier. I will not attempt to teach you about specific injuries and diseases or their treatments. There are many resources for learning these skills, and I suggest that you take advantage of them while they are available. What I can teach you is how to set up a sick room in your home to care for a sick, injured, or quarantined patient. The first thing on the list of things to know is that organization– both before and during care– is very important in making a caregiver’s job both possible and easy. If you stock the supplies that I have listed below and made a plan, then you will be able to make a challenging situation doable.

Let’s discuss choosing a room in your home that can function as a sick room. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:52 am

Quarantined: Establishing A Sick Room and Boundaries In The Event Of A Pandemic or Brief Illness
https://www.backdoorsurvival.com/quarantined-establishing-a-sick-room-and-boundaries-in-the-event-of-a-pandemic-or-brief-illness/

Isolation-How to Set Up a 'Sick Room' 91-mE1hduTL._SL1500_ From regular illness to a full-on the pandemic, knowing how to establish a boundary to keep the disease from spreading to others is important to know.

There are various levels of quarantine that must be considered and there are psychological implications to isolating oneself and family for an extended period of time. This post is mean to go beyond just establishing a sick room so that you can be better prepared on all levels. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:13 pm

Sample protocol for entering and exiting an isolation area
https://www.aaha.org/aaha-guidelines/infection-control-configuration/protocols/entering-and-exiting-isolation-area2/

Entering and exiting isolation rooms*

Before entering the isolation area, remove practice outerwear (e.g., laboratory coat) and any equipment (e.g., stethoscope, scissors, thermometer, watch, cell phone) and leave outside the isolation unit/anteroom.

Gather any necessary supplies and medications before putting on PPE. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:22 pm

Isolation rooms or areas
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK214341/?fbclid=IwAR1jRD3M93X67UrQ0EtWy_TG-1VD_kxt5n8UcXt37mUwymp0wpmAqk3PXKc

E.1. Preparation of the isolation room or area

-Ensure that appropriate handwashing facilities and hand-hygiene supplies are available.
-Stock the sink area with suitable supplies for handwashing, and with alcohol-based hand rub, near the point of care and the room door.
-Ensure adequate room ventilation. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum