Raised beds

4 posters

Go down

Raised beds Empty Raised beds

Post by oldasrocks Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:54 am

These are nice to garden in, less to weed and you don't have to bend over.

We started with 2 16 ft beds X 30 inches wide built out of 6x6 treated timber. These we alternate between peas/later beans and tomatoes ever other year. From there we expanded and added 12 -50 gallon plastic barrels with the tops cut out. (cut out not cut off so rim adds strength._ Barrels are 2/3 rock and 1/3 dirt. Be sure to always drill holes in the bottoms for drainage. Then we added 24 mineral tubs and 20-2 ft X 3 ft shipping boxes. As the area is fenced to keep varmints out I hand mixed and carried in 150 5 gallon buckets of dirt. I used a concrete mixer with horse manure, peat and sand. I used too much sand. Should have been about 10% not 25%. so have had to correct that.

In these we grow peppers, herbs, eggplants, carrots, garlic, and sometimes tomatoes. I put drip lines across the tops. I use the kind that has emitters every 2 ft and have had a lot better luck with that than that black hose stuff that only last a yr or two.
The walk ways are covered in chat (white limestone rock) for drainage and easy walking.

We also use raised beds around the property to grow various flowers in. Most of these are circles cut out of old fuel tanks from 4 ft to 8 ft across. Do not try cutting up fuel tanks unless you know the proper way.
oldasrocks
oldasrocks

Back to top Go down

Raised beds Empty Re: Raised beds

Post by Cinnamon Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:06 pm

We have two cinder block raised beds - 16 X 4 feet. We always plant potatoes in one, everything else in the other, then switch the next year. We need to put more beds in but haven't had the time the last 3 years as Husband has had operations at mid-spring that rendered him on light duty for the 6 weeks or so of our working weather summer/fall. (Nothing serious, gall bladder, cataracts, hernia). Hoping this year is different.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by oldasrocks Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:17 pm

Cinnamon, Sounds like you need a BF around to get the work done while hubby heals up.
oldasrocks
oldasrocks

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:31 pm

LOL - Oldasrocks!

Actually, he's doing pretty good this year. We're planning some major work during spring/summer because once again, I'm hosting the family reunion. Smile Its always fun and I hope we have a decent garden because we ate fresh every day while the family was here for the last one.

~ Cin ~
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by oldasrocks Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:46 pm

I don't think spring will ever be here this yr. We are expecting snow and COLD for the next week.I'm now 3 weeks behind schedule to plant peas.
The only thing that is growing is the bitter melon I have planted in front of my office window inside.
oldasrocks
oldasrocks

Back to top Go down

Post by oldasrocks Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:39 pm

It's getting warmer!!!! Peas planted and bedding plants looking better. transplanted 20 jalapenos, 18 green peppers and 12 cherry tomatoes into bigger pots.
oldasrocks
oldasrocks

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:18 pm

I have raised beds for my tomatoes, strawberries and peppers only and use strictly mushroom manuer in them. Here are some basics/pros/cons on growing in raised beds:

https://www.theprepperjournal.com/2019/02/19/raised-beds-pro-con-fact-check/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:58 am

The only thing I've planted is lime tree seeds. I planted about twenty seeds, 5 are growing! YAY! They're inside right now.

My orange tree bloomed all over...but it's inside, too. Last year when I moved it outside, it lost all it's blossoms and tiny oranges, but then re-bloomed and produced 4 oranges...although they never ripened.

The lemon tree is growing like a weed, from a seed last Spring, it is now about 6 feet tall! No lemons, but the plant is healthy.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:10 pm

DIY Super Easy Raised Garden Bed for under $30
https://thecapecoop.com/diy-super-easy-raised-garden-bed-for-under-30/

Raised beds Raised-bed--1024x1024 Starting a raised bed garden can be an expensive prospect. You can buy a ready made kit, many of them topping out well over $100 per bed. I make my own raised beds, read on to see how you can make a raised garden bed for under $30! It’s easy and doesn’t require any special equipment aside from a screwdriver and a saw. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down