Garden Bugs & Disease

4 posters

Go down

Garden Bugs & Disease Empty Garden Bugs & Disease

Post by oldasrocks Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:40 am

The last 2 yrs we have been overrun by Japanese beetles. They hatch out in late June, early July just when everything is going good. They attack like a locust  Biblical plague by the thousands.

Both years I end up spraying the apple trees, blackberries and elderberries with chemical that kills them but has a 90 residual so fruit in not eatable. Garden I spray with Sevin. The first yr they caught us by surprise and totally striped the apple trees, both fruit and leaves, leaving the trees bare. Same with green beans corn and other plants. We were able to replant some things for a late crop but not the corn.

Does anyone else have a problem with these beetles? Have you been able to control them? We're located in southern Missouri
oldasrocks
oldasrocks

Back to top Go down

Garden Bugs & Disease Empty Re: Garden Bugs & Disease

Post by rick1 Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:28 am

Yes OAR, what I do, I put a bug jug that I make from plastic bottles and put apple juice in them. I know you've seen them around for other bugs.

You can also pay for those plastic bag ones designed for those japanese beetles.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:59 am

I used the plastic bag trap last trap and we went thru 8 replacement bags. I also learned to place the trap away from the garden and berries. They seemed to work great. I will be ready this year

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by oldasrocks Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:45 pm

I use the plastic bag traps without the bags. I set them an inch above the waterline on all 4 sides of an old pontoon boat i use for a boat dock. The bugs both fall into the water and also fly into it when circling the bag. Makes the fish happy.

That only leaves about 14 billion beetles left to eat our garden.
oldasrocks
oldasrocks

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:01 am

How To Protect Your Garden From Pests And Diseases
https://www.askaprepper.com/how-to-protect-your-garden-from-pests-and-diseases/

Garden Bugs & Disease How-To-Protect-Your-Garden-From-Pests-And-Diseases-CP-890x395_c There are many things that can happen to your garden that you wouldn’t even consider being a problem, pests and diseases. Either of these can wreak havoc very quickly without a sign that it was there. You need to know what to look for and ways to prevent it before an infestation can occur. There are several different ways to eliminate the issue at hand. As with any gardener you would prefer to do so organically but that is not always an option. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:41 am

Survival Gardening: Squash Bugs and Borers
https://www.theprepperjournal.com/2019/07/23/survival-gardening-squash-bugs-and-borers/

Garden Bugs & Disease Bugs0   If you have a squash bug (SB) or squash vine borer (SVB) problem, it can be a big problem. Some areas have even greater trouble due to increased season length and mild winters.

(SNIP) ... Even if you’re not growing yet and don’t have any problems, push through this one anyway, just in case. You’ll need the fixes and preventatives on hand ahead of time.   ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:24 pm

Natural Pest Control in the Garden
https://commonsensehome.com/natural-pest-control-in-the-garden/

Garden Bugs & Disease Natural-pest-control-guide-20 (SNIP) ... Just walking down the chemical isle in the hardware store, i.e., the “garden helper area” or whatever they call it, gives me a headache. Sometimes I buy natural products, but often you can get rid of garden pests with what you have on hand. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:32 am

Integrated Pest Management: How to Sustainably Keep the Pests Out
https://www.theorganicprepper.com/integrated-pest-management-how-to-sustainably-keep-the-pests-out/

Integrated pest management, hereafter IPM, is the practice of pest management instead of pest control. It’s a proactive strategy that involves planning the field or garden to minimize problems before they occur. This involves considering the plant’s needs and environment, pest biology, and the interactions between the factors. IPM isn’t the same as organic gardening. It’s a thought and decision-making process.

Really, IPM is a very fancy name for “know your stuff and plan your garden accordingly.”   ---CONTINUED---

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down