Chicken broth, liquid or cubes?

+2
Dave58
justme_noname
6 posters

Go down

Chicken broth, liquid or cubes? Empty Chicken broth, liquid or cubes?

Post by justme_noname Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:13 am

Howdy,

I buy both liquid chicken broth, beef too, and the little cubes. I was curious, ignoring the date on the containers, which one would be edible the longest? I'm thinking the cubes would last the longest but curious if anyone thinks the liquid would. Maybe someone has tested this or read something about this elsewhere.

I know doing my own and canning would likely be the best way. I don't have a canner yet. Give me time tho. I'm thinking about saving up to get a All American model that holds a lot of quart jars. It's on my to do list. Until then, store stuff.

justme_noname

Back to top Go down

Chicken broth, liquid or cubes? Empty Re: Chicken broth, liquid or cubes?

Post by Dave58 Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:17 am

We bought a Presto Canner from wal-mart 10 yrs ago and the only thing we have replaced is the rubber seal on the lid it was cheap and it works well... We also bought a All American canner at a auction or maybe we stole it for $30 anyhow ( sorry i get side tracked easily) canning would be the best way to go.. So watch yard sales , flea markets or auctions take the plunge buy a canner it opens up a whole new world

My wife says she wouldn't trust the cubes for very long because of the oils in them

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:21 am

Here's some info I found on Bouillon Cubes:

What are Bouillon Cubes?
http://happypreppers.com/cubes.html

How Long Will Bouillon Cubes Keep?
https://oureverydaylife.com/long-bouillon-cubes-keep-39556.html

How Long Will Bouillon Cubes Keep?
https://www.leaf.tv/articles/how-long-will-bouillon-cubes-keep/

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:25 am

Here's info on Bouillon Broth:

Does Beef Broth Go Bad?
https://www.doesitgobad.com/does-beef-broth-go-bad/

Can Chicken Broth Go Bad?
https://www.canitgobad.net/can-chicken-broth-go-bad/

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by justme_noname Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:59 pm

Thanks for the info. It looks like I can get the longest life out of the cubes if I store them in my ammo cans and keep them dry, with silica packs. I may mark the ones I have so I know which are which and when I buy more, put them in the ammo can as soon as I get home. They will spoil eventually but should last longer.

The most recent I bought is in those little paper looking jugs of broth. I plan to use them before to long so maybe they will last long enough.

I'm going to try and get a canner when I can. I found out tho that almost none of them will fit on my stove top since it is a oven up top. The only ones that fit will be small for sure. If I get a big one, I'll need a plan B on how to heat it up.

Thanks again. Sounds like cubes isn't the best way but the best between the two anyway.

justme_noname

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:20 am

I use cubes, buy broth, and also make broth.

Whenever I cook a turkey or chicken, whether roasted or boiled, there is always broth. I just put that in large mouth mason jars and store it in the fridge. Usually use it within a week as I eat a lot of soups. It gets a bit of fat on the top, I just skim that off.

If I freeze broth, I make sure there is at least 2 inches of space between lid and broth, so when the broth expands as it's freezing the jars don't break.

I will also use leftover gravy and sauces from meats as broth. Just add more liquid.

The cubes and commercial broth are also used, when I don't have any broth on hand.

All the broths are bases for any soups I make. I make a lot of soups - lots of veggies, sometimes a little meat, sometimes not.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by jimLE Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:43 pm

i have liquid chicken broth from chickens i cooked.i also have the granials and cubes.the liquid broth stays canned untill i need it.the cubes n granials i use for broth soup on cold days.so i never worry about dates on them.guess i need to.

expect the worst. Hope for the best. And capitalize on each situation the best you can..

“Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an example unto you to follow us. For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat. For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies.”
jimLE
jimLE

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Mon May 02, 2022 2:00 pm

BOUILLON CUBES OR GRANULES, ALL TYPES (INCLUDING BEEF, CHICKEN, TURKEY, VEGETABLE, FISH) — UNOPENED OR OPENED PACKAGE
https://www.stilltasty.com/Fooditems/index/16596

How long does a package of bouillon cubes or granules last? The precise answer depends to a large extent on storage conditions -to maximize the shelf life of bouillon cubes or granules (including beef, chicken, vegetable, turkey and fish bouillon cubes), store in a cool, dry area.
Properly stored, a package of bouillon cubes or granules will generally stay at best quality for ... ---CONTINUED---

Admin

rick1 and TRex2 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed May 04, 2022 4:26 am

ReadyMom wrote:BOUILLON CUBES OR GRANULES, ALL TYPES (INCLUDING BEEF, CHICKEN, TURKEY, VEGETABLE, FISH) — UNOPENED OR OPENED PACKAGE
https://www.stilltasty.com/Fooditems/index/16596

How long does a package of bouillon cubes or granules last? The precise answer depends to a large extent on storage conditions -to maximize the shelf life of bouillon cubes or granules (including beef, chicken, vegetable, turkey and fish bouillon cubes), store in a cool, dry area.
Properly stored, a package of bouillon cubes or granules will generally stay at best quality for ...   ---CONTINUED---
Anyone want to say what their favorite bouillon cube sources are?
(Brand, and who carries them... )
I basically dropped this whole line of products, a couple years ago, after getting some that was unpalatable.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum