Water Purification:Berkey Filters & Home Made 2 Bucket Filters

5 posters

Go down

Water Purification:Berkey Filters & Home Made 2 Bucket Filters Empty Water Purification:Berkey Filters & Home Made 2 Bucket Filters

Post by ReadyMom Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:23 am

The following is a home-made water filtering system made using (2) buckets, a Berkey Big Black water filter, and spout. I've made this and it's REAL EASY!

The credit for coming up with this idea goes to 'gilmore' another forum.

Keep in mind that this filtering system will filter clean your water by about 99.9% BUT you SHOULD STILL USE CHLORINE TO GET RID OF ANY VIRUS THAT MAY BE IN YOUR WATER! Filter your water, using this system, first THEN use the chlorine purification as recommended by Dr. Woodson in a previous post.

Water Purification:Berkey Filters & Home Made 2 Bucket Filters 1020937_348ts1146699303612

2 - five gallon FOOD GRADE (#2 in a triangle is stamped on the bottom of the) buckets with lids. Drill a couple holes in them and you are up and running. . . I also "popped" for a spigot, so the pictures you will see are the "de luxe" model. Spigot not required, just a convenience.

The filters are can be cleaned with Scotchbrite cleaning pads. Each filter will last about 3000 gallons. Straining water before hand is recommended if you are using pond or puddle .water

~2 buckets, one will sit atop the other. . . A.K.A. (also known as) Lower Bucket and Upper Bucket

~The Lower bucket has a lid on it. That lid has a hole in it.

~The hole in the lid of the Lower bucket MUST match up with the hole in the bottom of the Upper bucket.

~This is because the the Upper bucket will have the filter in it and the filter (stem) is going to protrude (stick thru) the bottom of the Upper bucket and into the (lid) of Lower bucket.
The Upper buckets hole has been drilled to match the one in the lid of the Lower bucket.

Water Purification:Berkey Filters & Home Made 2 Bucket Filters 1020510_104ts1146697289016
~Insert the filter into the bottom of the Upper bucket.

~Tighten the filter with the onto the bottom of the Upper bucket with the wing nut like device that is on "stem" of the filter.

Water Purification:Berkey Filters & Home Made 2 Bucket Filters 1020502_104ts1146697285925
~This "stem" is what the purified water will drip thru.

~Place (gently) the Upper bucket onto of the lower bucket, making sure the stem fits into the lid of the lower bucket.

~Fill the Upper bucket with water and gravity does the rest

Admin

Back to top Go down

Water Purification:Berkey Filters & Home Made 2 Bucket Filters Empty Re: Water Purification:Berkey Filters & Home Made 2 Bucket Filters

Post by ReadyMom Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:27 am

Just Water’s Ceramic Water Filtration System Kit
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/blog/waters-ceramic-water-filtration-system-kit/

Water Purification:Berkey Filters & Home Made 2 Bucket Filters CAMP-352_A   Have safe drinking water that tastes good during a disaster, at the deer lease, primitive camp site, or when SHTF by making a water filtration system with Just Water’s ceramic drip filter, sock and dispensing spigot, two food-grade plastic buckets, gamma lid and flat lid. The filter is made in the U.S.A ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Water Purification:Berkey Filters & Home Made 2 Bucket Filters Empty Re: Water Purification:Berkey Filters & Home Made 2 Bucket Filters

Post by ReadyMom Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:35 am

Another version ... made of steel!

HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN BERKEY STYLE WATER PURIFIER

DIY STAINLESS STEEL water filter. Easy to follow instructions on how to build your own water filter out of a pair of stock pots. All you need is a drill and a pair of tin snips. Stainless is more sanitary than plastic buckets.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:41 am

How to Find Water and Make It Safe to Drink-Water Filters
https://grandpappy.org/hwater.htm

Removes Protozoa, Bacteria, Most Viruses, Many Harmful Chemicals and Radioactive Particles.
To remove ALL Viruses, you must Boil the Water or Add Chlorine or Iodine.

Water Purification:Berkey Filters & Home Made 2 Bucket Filters Ywaberke   The best overall method for improving the quality of water, but also the most expensive, is to use a commercial water filter, but not one that permanently connects to your home water system because it requires water pressure to function properly.

The one potential disadvantage of commercial water filters (not purifiers) is that they cannot remove 100% of ALL virus pathogens. Fortunately, waterborne virus pathogens are NOT a common problem in most areas. Therefore, unless there has been an outbreak of viral diseases in your area, then waterborne viruses will probably not be a problem with your water supply. However, if there has been a recent outbreak of viral diseases, then add the appropriate quantity of chlorine to the water, wait one-hour, and then put that treated water through one of the following filters. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:50 pm

I have a couple two bucket systems ready for use, if need be. I buy the silver impregnated ceramic filters, a few pennies more but worth it.

Have extra parts, connectors, spickets, buckets, etc..

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:42 pm

rick1 wrote:I have a couple two bucket systems ready for use, if need be. I buy the silver impregnated ceramic filters, a few pennies more but worth it.

I have one bucket system with a back up charcoal filter,etc. Do you have info on the ceramic filters?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:50 pm

ReadyMom wrote:
rick1 wrote:I have a couple two bucket systems ready for use, if need be. I buy the silver impregnated ceramic filters, a few pennies more but worth it.

I have one bucket system with a back up charcoal filter,etc. Do you have info on the ceramic filters?

These are the ones that I have:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zen-Replacement-Silver-Ceramic-Water-Filter-Water-System-Filter-2-5-micron/121867549226?epid=0&hash=item1c5fdf3a2a:g:YoEAAOSwjC9ZgTuv

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:50 am

Black Berkey elements remove viruses to over 99.999% and pathogenic bacteria to 99.9999999% so they are considered water purifiers not the lower rating of water filters. No need to worry about most hazards getting through them.

The ceramic (white) Berkey elements are not as good at filtering, so I go with the more expensive, but safer black filter elements...

Full details of what they remove online at:
https://www.berkeyfilters.com/berkey-answers/performance/filtration-specifications/

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:04 pm

Getting the Most Out of Your Berkey Water Filter
https://www.backdoorsurvival.com/berkey-water-filter/

Water Purification:Berkey Filters & Home Made 2 Bucket Filters 10877807206_5868a1d06a_m   (SNIP) ... Since I do not want to repeat information that is readily available online, I thought I would provide you with some extra information to help you get the most out of your Berkey.   ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:07 pm

The Top Big Berkey Water Filter Alternatives
https://www.backdoorsurvival.com/top-big-berkey-water-filter-alternatives/

Water Purification:Berkey Filters & Home Made 2 Bucket Filters Febcb30228e4d39ace1999480e4d79ed   The Big Berkey has long been a sought after filter for those living off the grid or that just want to have better quality water during and emergency or question the quality of their well or local water. Over the years there have been some competitors come on the market that offer outstanding value and results and sometimes at less cost. Filter replacements are also easy to find and order.

Here are some alternatives to the Big Berkey that are worth looking at.    ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:38 pm

Here's a THREE-Bucket version of the Berkey Filter!

Building The Three Bucket Bio-Water-Filter
https://www.askaprepper.com/building-the-three-5-gallon-bucket-bio-water-filter/

Water Purification:Berkey Filters & Home Made 2 Bucket Filters 6cc270702653f328590b831f962c2c67--survival-food-survival-skills   A bio-filter is a three stage filter, allowing each stage to provide a finer level of filtration. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:51 pm

Berkey Black Water Filter Elements
https://grandpappy.org/hwaterbl.htm

Water Purification:Berkey Filters & Home Made 2 Bucket Filters YwablackIn the year 2002 I purchased a Berkefeld Stainless Steel Water Container and four 9-inch Super Stersyl White Filter Elements. At that time I was pleased with the quality of the Berkefeld products I purchased.

On the other hand, I have never purchased a Berkey Black Water Filter Element so I am not qualified to offer customer feedback on the quality of the black filters.

However, I have received numerous emails from ... ---CONTINUED---

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:19 pm

ReadyMom wrote:Berkey Black Water Filter Elements
Berkey Black Water Filter Element ...
However, I have received numerous emails from ... ---CONTINUED---
This article makes it sound like "Berky" ran into a lot of quality control issues, several years ago. I haven't seen anything that says whether or not they have fixed" those issues.

Personlly, I use the ceramic dome filter, similar to the one seen in the "Cheaper than Dirt" video tutorial, and the one rick1 uses, but I went that rout for financial reasons, not quality.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:32 pm

I made the homemade version using the 2 buckets and the charcoal tube-like filter. I used it once, so far and it seemed oke. Ordered the filter on line. Got 2. One for spare.

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:33 pm

ReadyMom wrote:I made the homemade version using the 2 buckets and the charcoal tube-like filter. I used it once, so far and it seemed oke. Ordered the filter on line. Got 2. One for spare.
"Charcoal tube"? Is this a Berkey product? or something else?

(I have a couple bags of "pure" charcoal. Chunks, not brickettes, for emergency use, but that will be clumsy)

I need to look into charcoal filters and silver impregnated filters. Looked at the literature a few years back and seem to remember that the silver was so that any germs in the filter couldn't breed there. And I don't know if you can store a charcoal filter, once it has been wet. These are things that could be our undoing.

TRex2

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:03 pm

TRex2 wrote:
ReadyMom wrote:I made the homemade version using the 2 buckets and the charcoal tube-like filter. I used it once, so far and it seemed oke. Ordered the filter on line. Got 2. One for spare.
"Charcoal tube"?  Is this a Berkey product? or something else?

(I have a couple bags of "pure" charcoal. Chunks, not brickettes, for emergency use, but that will  be clumsy)

I need to look into charcoal filters and silver impregnated filters. Looked at the literature a few years back and seem to remember that the silver was so that any germs in the filter couldn't breed there. And I don't know if you can store a charcoal filter, once it has been wet. These are things that could be our undoing.

Ha! It's been so long, I had to look up my receipt for them (yes, I keep copies of receipts for stuff like this Rolling Eyes  ). It's these: https://pleasanthillgrain.com/black-berkey-water-purifier-filter-elements-2-pack I actually got them back in 2006. My receipt shows I paid $91 for them, back then. They are $120 now!! Shocked

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:24 pm

ReadyMom wrote:...
Ha! It's been so long, I had to look up my receipt for them (yes, I keep copies of receipts for stuff like this Rolling Eyes  ). It's these: https://pleasanthillgrain.com/black-berkey-water-purifier-filter-elements-2-pack   I actually got them back in 2006. My receipt shows I paid $91 for them, back then. They are $120 now!! Shocked
OK, time to put on the engineering hat and design a home brewed charcoal filter.

TRex2

ReadyMom likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:59 am

TRex2 wrote:
ReadyMom wrote:...
Ha! It's been so long, I had to look up my receipt for them (yes, I keep copies of receipts for stuff like this Rolling Eyes  ). It's these: https://pleasanthillgrain.com/black-berkey-water-purifier-filter-elements-2-pack   I actually got them back in 2006. My receipt shows I paid $91 for them, back then. They are $120 now!! Shocked
OK, time to put on the engineering hat and design a home brewed charcoal filter.

The Black Berkey elements can filter anything larger than 0.2 microns, so they extremely effective at removing bacteria and virus particles.

DIY filter systems are better off using multiple layers to deal with what contaminants might be found in your source water.

I've got printouts of this 3-bucket system from AskAPrepper.com since it's detailed and looks effective:

https://www.askaprepper.com/building-the-three-5-gallon-bucket-bio-water-filter/

But while using activated charcoal is best, it's also pricey unless you're making your own....

dmwalsh568

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:16 am

If you go the route of the 3-bucket system. That could be big & heavy to put on a counter or table. You could also use the smaller 3-gallon bakery buckets, which might be more manageable for this project, for some.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:14 pm

We finally broke down and bought a Berkey filter.. I thought about the plastic bucket system but because it lets in light I was afraid of algae with the berkey its stainless and doesn't allow light in...

Water taste great

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:56 pm

Dug this up on berkey water filters, explains what it removes and percentage of removal of chemicals, and other specifications, etc.:

http://berkeywaterkb.com/black-berkey-element-specifications/

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:08 pm

Dave58 wrote:We finally broke down and bought a Berkey filter.. I thought about the plastic bucket system but because it lets in light I was afraid of algae with the berkey its stainless and doesn't allow light in...

Water taste great

Ideas for that problem: Spray paint the buckets black or cover with black fabric, black contact paper ...

Admin

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:16 pm

ReadyMom wrote:
Dave58 wrote:We finally broke down and bought a Berkey filter.. I thought about the plastic bucket system but because it lets in light I was afraid of algae with the berkey its stainless and doesn't allow light in...

Water taste great
Ideas for that problem: Spray paint the buckets black or cover with black fabric, black contact paper ...
Doesn't every prepper have black plastic?
(I have enough to cover the roof of a small house.)
That said, Stainless vs Plastic, plastic will get the job done today, but if you have the money to invest, stainless is an investment, as you can probably make it last forever.

And now, just as a funny aside:
Plastic sheeting, oh yes, and duct tape:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/sns-terror-ducttape-ct-story.html
(Unlike the critics in the article, I know what they are for, and how to use them.)

TRex2

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down