Flies . . . . . . .

Go down

Flies . . . . . . . Empty Flies . . . . . . .

Post by ReadyMom Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:38 am

This came across my Facebook feed, today, so I don't have a link, but I sourced it, below:

Yellow Fly Trap

Flies . . . . . . . 64934322_1576524242519469_3135381273460080640_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_oc=AQmzHU6IfaFnK7lGWOU5FQu1sMguyrn9b5RP8NSxxzKDP9kR5Gkb9ucp4cIpHofZVDY&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1  A DIY Yellow Fly Trap that REALLY WORKS!

Supplies:
1: Anything BLACK you can hang. (If it's not already black, spray paint it black!) I use planters, I was lucky enough to get a local nursery to give me the ones they used w/ landscaping. I've seen people use beach balls, old cookie pans & cardboard. If you can tie string to it, & it's BLACK it will work! This will be your "trap"
2: String! Yarn, rope, beading twine, fishing wire.... Anything you've got, that you can tie. Depending on how many traps you make, you will need quite a bit, so the cheaper, the better!
3: Black spray paint (only if what you're using as your trap isn't already black)
4: OLD paint brush or BBQ brush & bowl. These will NEVER come clean again & will only be good for future applications to the Yellow Fly Trap.
5: STP Oil Treatment (ladies, that's the blue bottle in the automotive section @ any Walmart/Target/Kmart)

How to set traps:
1: Location! Find an area, Yellow Flies are more abundant in shaded areas. So hanging from tree limbs, porches. Plant hangers, or you could get real redneck with it & tie them to 2 x 4's & hang over dog pen's. (Remember, the Yellow Flies are not picky about WHAT they get their blood source from. If you're miserable with these pesky flies, your animals are too!) I would place the traps in area's you/your animals frequent.
2: Tie one end of your string to your trap & the other end at your selected location. You will want the trap to hang about 4 foot from the ground.
3: Paint the STP onto your trap. Make sure you cover the whole trap, but over coverage will just drip off. Again, whatever the STP touches (decks, concrete, clothes) will be stained forever!
4: Let the trap hang & do it's job Smile
*in high volume areas you will need to hose the Yellow Flies off the trap & reapply the STP. The higher volume, the more frequent you'll need to reapply.

Thank Goodness Yellow Flies don't stay all summer! Feel free to share or tag & happy porch sitting!!

Source: Homemaking.com, facebook

Admin

Back to top Go down

Flies . . . . . . . Empty Re: Flies . . . . . . .

Post by ReadyMom Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:47 am

Fly Control Plastic Bags
https://www.dirtdoctor.com/garden/Fly-Control-Plastic-Bags_vq1642.htm

Flies . . . . . . . Content_img.5086.img   ’ve seen the use of water in a plastic bag as a fly repellent for over a year and it seems to be growing in use. What an “expert” from my area claimed was that the fly mistook the bag as a large spider web. Something about the way the water bulging in a clear plastic bag causes a prism effect and confuses the fly.   ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:33 pm

Hat Tip Hat Tip to rick1:

How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies
https://www.almanac.com/news/almanac/everything/how-get-rid-fruit-flies

Flies . . . . . . . D-melanogaster_1   A fruit fly infestation can be a truly annoying experience. Here’s how to get rid of fruit flies, including how to make your own fruit fly trap!   ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:14 am

Get Rid of Flies with Homemade Sticky Fly Paper
https://everydayroots.com/sticky-paper-fly-trap

Flies . . . . . . . Ontheporch (BIG SNIP) ... It’s really very simple to come up with your own method of getting rid of the nasty buggers, including making your own sticky fly paper. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:13 am

What’s the purpose of bags of water hanging in restaurants?
https://www.straightdope.com/21343094/what-s-the-purpose-of-bags-of-water-hanging-in-restaurants

(SNIP) ... Apparently the water bags do drive houseflies away. Not mosquitoes, not no-see-ums, not spiders, not roaches, not yellowjacket wasps, just houseflies. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum