Revolvers For Every Day Carry

5 posters

Go down

Revolvers For Every Day Carry Empty Revolvers For Every Day Carry

Post by ReadyMom Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:09 am

Review: S&W 340PD — The Lightest .357 Magnum Revolver
https://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/review-sw-340pd-lightest-357-magnum-revolver/

Revolvers For Every Day Carry IMG_1358-2-e1640801806765   With all the modern semi-auto pistols available, revolvers often go overlooked. They hold fewer rounds, take longer to reload, and quality examples are pricey. However, I still argue that wheel guns still have a place for emergency defensive use and may even be the right option for your everyday carry — revolvers such as the S&W 340PD.   ---CONTINUED ---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Revolvers For Every Day Carry Empty Re: Revolvers For Every Day Carry

Post by ReadyMom Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:10 am

Gun Maintenance: How to Clean a Revolver
https://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/how-to-clean-a-revolver/

Revolvers For Every Day Carry AdobeStock_218560577-scaled   Cleaning your gun is something that gun owners and gun lovers do for many reasons. The most obvious motivation is that it keeps your gun functioning normally despite tens, hundreds, or thousands of rounds at the range, or several boxes of shells on opening day. Gun cleaning can be relaxing too, if you know how to clean a revolver.    ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Drinkthekoolaid likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinkthekoolaid Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:21 pm

Cleaning guns is fun and enjoyable.

Me ... I'm just not much of a revolver guy though. Never really tickled my fancy. Give me a polymer striker fired pistol and I'm very happy. I'm low maintenance.

Drinkthekoolaid

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:21 am

Drinkthekoolaid wrote:Cleaning guns is fun and enjoyable.

Me ... I'm just not much of a revolver guy though. Never really tickled my fancy. Give me a polymer striker fired pistol and I'm very happy. I'm low maintenance.
Tell you what. You ever move down here, I have a Hi-Point 9mm you can have.

I love the idea of a striker fired 9mm, but the one I have is a lemon. (Possibly due to my own neglect, since I didn't dump enough solvent and oil into the striker assembly, in the first few years I had it.)  It is a good training weapon, since it misfires (light strike) about one shot out of every box of ammo. And, being a single stack, if you put more than 6 rounds in the mag it tends to miss feed from time to time, now matter how you adjust the ears on the mag. The combination would make it a perfect weapon to teach new guys how to deal with malfunctions.

I know this isn't normal for a Hi-Point, because I have known a lot of guys who had them, and it is the only one that is so unreliable. I would work on it, but my hands are just not strong enough to disasseble and reassemble it, any more.

I have another pistol that is my primary defense weapon, and a rifle if I need one. Where I live, though, hell might freeze over before that need arises. (Of course, Hell, Michigan, freezes every winter  Laughing  )

I am a 9mm guy, but, for those who don't carry on their person, unless you plan to invest some hours in learning and range time, I suggest a 357. Unload it, spray it down with Reem oil, sit it against something for about 10 minutes, so any excess can drip from it. Open and close the cylinder, rotate it though all the chambers, cock and release the hammer a couple times. Then wipe it down, reload it, and put it away util the same time next year. Just keep it out of the weather and away from dust. This is what I got for my wife (and it has never misfired: ever).

TRex2

rick1 and Drinkthekoolaid like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinkthekoolaid Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:14 am

TRex2 wrote:
Drinkthekoolaid wrote:Cleaning guns is fun and enjoyable.

Tell you what. You ever move down here, I have a Hi-Point 9mm you can have.

I love the idea of a striker fired 9mm, but the one I have is a lemon. (Possibly due to my own neglect, since I didn't dump enough solvent and oil into the striker assembly, in the first few years I had it.)  It is a good training weapon, since it misfires (light strike) about one shot out of every box of ammo. And, being a single stack, if you put more than 6 rounds in the mag it tends to miss feed from time to time, now matter how you adjust the ears on the mag. The combination would make it a perfect weapon to teach new guys how to deal with malfunctions.

I know this isn't normal for a Hi-Point, because I have known a lot of guys who had them, and it is the only one that is so unreliable. I would work on it, but my hands are just not strong enough to disasseble and reassemble it, any more.

I have another pistol that is my primary defense weapon, and a rifle if I need one. Where I live, though, hell might freeze over before that need arises. (Of course, Hell, Michigan, freezes every winter  Laughing  )

I am a 9mm guy, but, for those who don't carry on their person, unless you plan to invest some hours in learning and range time, I suggest a 357. Unload it, spray it down with Reem oil, sit it against something for about 10 minutes, so any excess can drip from it. Open and close the cylinder, rotate it though all the chambers, cock and release the hammer a couple times. Then wipe it down, reload it, and put it away util the same time next year. Just keep it out of the weather and away from dust. This is what I got for my wife (and it has never misfired: ever).

Haha thanks.

For what it's worth I think hi points even though they are very cheap they have a lifetime warranty so maybe check into that perhaps they will fix the issue.

I love a decent manufacturer polymer striker fired 9mm. A good manufacturer the gun will be incredibly reliable, simple to use and easy to train on.

I don't recommend DA/SA guns especially for new gun owners. They take more time and training to be profecient on.

If it was going to be a striker fired gun I would recommend someone to get a revolver.

Don't get me wrong I really do like a metal frame hammer fired gun 1911, cz75 etc but I view those more as luxuries for experienced owners not new owners.

Drinkthekoolaid

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:39 am

I don't like the striker fired pistols, tried them and then sold them, give me an older colt .45, 1911, I own 4 of them, but they are heavy, no plastic in them.

Here's a good article of the best striker fired pistols:

https://gunandshooter.com/best-striker-fired-pistol/

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:24 am

rick1 wrote:I don't like the striker fired pistols, tried them and then sold them, give me an older colt .45, 1911, I own 4 of them, but they are heavy, no plastic in them.

Here's a good article of the best striker fired pistols:

https://gunandshooter.com/best-striker-fired-pistol/

I have 2-380 semi-auto I also have a 1957 S&W 44 mag its amazingly heavy though....

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinkthekoolaid Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:54 am

The best thing about pistols is there is a huge variety. You can find something that works for you.

If you follow a lot of YouTube prepper channels you'll see the standard lines of "every prepper needs 5 Glock 17s and 50 spare mags and 5,000 rounds of ammo.

That's all well and good and fine but I think it's way overkill and your financial resources can be better allocated elsewhere.  

This is my .02 cents but you'll be dead long before you use all that. You're better off just buying 2-3 quality pistols (preferably in the same gun family for parts commonality) enough spare mags to be effective and like 500-1000 rounds of ammo stocked. That's entirely a respectable plan. Most people will carry a pistol for daily use and around the house for self defense. If you're in actual combat you're hopefully going to have a rifle or shotgun around to use. No one is going to be carrying 6 extra pistol mags everywhere they go. I just don't see that as realistic unless you are going on some type of combat patrol or direct action mission.  

Have enough ammo to be effective and occasionally target shoot to keep you're skills up. I guess in an emergency you can even hunt with a pistol but it's not ideal.

I think I've decided I'm most likely to need to use a pistol in defense because I always have it with me, but I'm least likely to need tons of ammo and spare pistols. Just enough for for family and if you have the luxury of stocking more in case of a trusted friend or neighbor.

Drinkthekoolaid

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:37 pm

Drinkthekoolaid wrote:Haha thanks.

For what it's worth I think hi points even though they are very cheap they have a lifetime warranty so maybe check into that perhaps they will fix the issue.
I went that way the first time, and they replaced an older striker design with a newer one.

But the second time, I decided it was my fault, so, one day I will disassemble it and clean the striker assembly. I just need to have someone help me lock the slide to the rear, which takes about twice the strength as chambering a round. The Hi-Point has two slide locks. One is internal, and it will lock the slide on the last round fired. The other is external, and the only reason to use it is maintenance. That one takes about twice the strength of the other.

I love a decent manufacturer polymer striker fired 9mm. A good manufacturer the gun will be incredibly reliable, simple to use and easy to train on.
They are easy to use and train on, but you need to actually go through all of the drills, including firing it, at least once a year.

I don't recommend DA/SA guns especially for new gun owners. They take more time and training to be proficient on.
If you are talking about something like the 1911, where you have to cock the hammer before the first shot, I agree.

If it was going to be a striker fired gun I would recommend someone to get a revolver.
A revolver is what I recommend, for someone who is just going to stick it in their nightstand. (I like the 357, but would load it with 38+P XTP ammo.)

TRex2

rick1 and Drinkthekoolaid like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down