Timers for use post event

4 posters

Go down

Timers for use post event Empty Timers for use post event

Post by dmwalsh568 Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:11 pm

While I have a nice digital watch that is solar powered with the usual stop watch and alarm functions, in case of long term disaster or EMP I have a selection of mechanical timers.
Wind up alarm clocks in case I need to be dosing or checking on someone every hour or more up to 23 hours.
Kitchen timers that let me time from 1 minute up to an hour.
I even have a few hourglasses, although they are from boggle games so only will count down 2 minutes. Before I had a smartphone I used to take those to a restaurant that you cook your own food in a hotpot for 2 minutes so the boggle timers were perfect.

As you can guess I don’t really care what time it is if I’m dealing with an event, but am more concerned with cooking and medicine timing.

Considering getting a mechanical stopwatch, but decent ones are pretty pricey and it’s been hard to justify the expense but for checking a patients pulse without electronics it’s kind of important. Guess for now I’ll just put some cheap digital stopwatches in the faraday cage and try to save up for the good stuff.

How does everyone else plan to time things? Always interested in new ideas!

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Timers for use post event Empty Re: Timers for use post event

Post by rick1 Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:07 pm

dmwalsh568 wrote: (snip)

As you can guess I don’t really care what time it is if I’m dealing with an event, but am more concerned with cooking and medicine timing.

How does everyone else plan to time things? Always interested in new ideas!

If it's a grid down situation, will anybody really care what time it is, everybody is going to be running around like a chicken with their heads cut off (except for us preppers) to really care about the time. Like you, I really don't care what time it is.  I've never wore a watch, except when I was in the USMC and don't own one, just another thing you have to take care of. We do have wind up clocks and battery operated ones.

But, if anybody is interested in a project and you need to know what time it is, here's a video on how to make a sundial:

https://www.ask.com/youtube?q=how+to+make+a+sundial&v=XnrDkHDRZTI

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:15 pm

rick1 wrote:If it's a grid down situation, will anybody really care what time it is, . . .

HAD to post this. It came right to me, when I read your post. (Sorry):

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:27 pm

ReadyMom, while I wrote my response, I was actually singing that song, but couldn't remember who sang it. I asked the wife and she couldn't remember either, she said we both are getting what's called OLD TIMERS!!!!! Question

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:38 pm

My Dad has a sundial in the yard.

We tend to work before sun-up to sundown, it works for us.

I do have a mechanical timer in the kitchen, when I need to time stuff, I just use it. Never really thought about it, but I suppose I should invest in a couple more, too.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down