Storage of granola bars

2 posters

Go down

Storage of granola bars Empty Storage of granola bars

Post by justme_noname Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:11 am

Howdy,

I been thinking on this a bit. I'm considering buying some granola bars, most likely store bought but could make some homemade. If I bought some, I'd put them in one of those vacuum storage bags and suck the air out. I'd also put a couple silica packs in there as well. Looking at the box, the expire date is usually about 6 months or so out. Would storing them that way extend that date or would it not make a difference? Has anyone did this before and have some experience to share?

I don't eat them a lot so I would be saving them for a SHTF event. In other words, I wouldn't be rotating them out like I do other foods.

Thoughts?

justme_noname

Back to top Go down

Storage of granola bars Empty Re: Storage of granola bars

Post by rick1 Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:21 am

justme_noname wrote:Howdy,

I been thinking on this a bit.  I'm considering buying some granola bars, most likely store bought but could make some homemade.  If I bought some, I'd put them in one of those vacuum storage bags and suck the air out.  I'd also put a couple silica packs in there as well.  Looking at the box, the expire date is usually about 6 months or so out.  Would storing them that way extend that date or would it not make a difference?  Has anyone did this before and have some experience to share?  

I don't eat them a lot so I would be saving them for a SHTF event.  In other words, I wouldn't be rotating them out like I do other foods.  

Thoughts?

Here's a link about storage, about the 6th or 7th paragraph addresses granola bars, good luck:

http://www.preparednesspro.com/you-dont-have-to-waste-your-food-storage-money

Back to top Go down