Box Oven aka Wonder Oven/Fireless Cooker/Haybox Cooking

Go down

Box Oven aka Wonder Oven/Fireless Cooker/Haybox Cooking Empty Box Oven aka Wonder Oven/Fireless Cooker/Haybox Cooking

Post by ReadyMom Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:10 am

Building a Wonderbox Style Insulated Cooking Box
http://foodstorageandsurvival.com/building-a-wonderbox-style-insulated-cooking-box/

Box Oven aka Wonder Oven/Fireless Cooker/Haybox Cooking Picture+017   Having enough fuel to keep warm and cook food in an emergency is an often overlooked area of preparedness. One way to preserve fuel is to use an insulated cooker like the Wonderbox. The Wonderbox was developed in the 1960's by Anna Pearse, a South African philanthropist, for use in third world countries. It has been used for several years through her charity Compassion. In 1977, Women for Peace became the umbrella for the establishment of the Wonderbox project. So there's your history lesson for today.

The insulated cooking box works kind of like a thermos. You put hot food in it and it continues to cook because of the insulating factor of the box. I'll do another post on cooking in the box. For today, we're just building it. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Box Oven aka Wonder Oven/Fireless Cooker/Haybox Cooking Empty Re: Box Oven aka Wonder Oven/Fireless Cooker/Haybox Cooking

Post by ReadyMom Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:13 am

Using a Wonderbox Style Insulated Cooker
http://foodstorageandsurvival.com/using-a-wonderbox-style-insulated-cooker/

Box Oven aka Wonder Oven/Fireless Cooker/Haybox Cooking Picture+023   To use your Wonder Oven, you’ll need a pot with a lid that fits well (not bent or gapping) to hold the food. The pot should be about the same

To use your box, you'll need ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Box Oven aka Wonder Oven/Fireless Cooker/Haybox Cooking Empty Re: Box Oven aka Wonder Oven/Fireless Cooker/Haybox Cooking

Post by ReadyMom Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:15 am

10 Reasons to Have a Wonder Oven
https://americanpreppersnetwork.com/10-reasons-to-have-a-wonder-oven/

Box Oven aka Wonder Oven/Fireless Cooker/Haybox Cooking Wonder-Oven-058-300x224 In the depression when times called for conserving and stretching a budget, people came up with ways to save on cooking fuel costs. By using an insulated hay box they were able to cut down on the cost of cooking and baking foods. Food was brought up to a boil or to a certain temperature and then placed into the hay box. The hay box was usually a wooden box and had lots of hay stuffed on all sides of the enclosed pan that maintained the temperature. This process of cooking worked to allow the food to retain the heat by using insulation.
Today there is even a better option to the hay box. ---CONTINUED---

Includes:
   Directions for construction
   Cooking Times for Food

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:16 am

Box Oven-Styrofoam stuffed Fabric Bag for Insulation
http://everythingunderthesunblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/you-can-save-lot-of-your-fuel-needs-on.html

Box Oven aka Wonder Oven/Fireless Cooker/Haybox Cooking Image369    You can save a lot of your fuel needs on those less than sunny days by using a rocket stove. (see previous posts) But you can save even more fuel by using a thermal cooker (pictured at bottom) or a wonder box. (pictured at top and middle) These are heat retention cookers. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:18 am

A Word about Wonder Ovens
http://eatingfoodstorage.blogspot.com/2010/02/word-about-wonder-ovens.html

Box Oven aka Wonder Oven/Fireless Cooker/Haybox Cooking Wonder+Oven+Bread+8-09+%288%29   We have been counseled to store a year's worth of food and fuel where possible. The food I have but fuel is a whole other issue. I quickly realized that it was logistically impossible to store a year's worth of any kind of fuel for a family as large as mine. Especially considering the types of food we store, long grain rice, dry beans, etc. Items that have to boil for hours to be edible. I was looking at mountains of propane, or charcoal, or whatever. Just not feasible.

Then I discovered the Wonder Oven  ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Fri May 24, 2019 10:26 am

Wonder Box   (PDF File)
http://www.iwillprepare.com/files/pdf/handout-wonder_box_instructions.pdf

Box Oven aka Wonder Oven/Fireless Cooker/Haybox Cooking Image469   A wonder box is a heat retention cooker. After you bring your food to a boil, (so it is heated throughout) using any number of cooking methods, you remove it from the heat source and quickly place the pot inside the wonder box. The insulation of the wonderbox will slow your food’s loss of heat keeping at cooking temperatures for hours. Using a wonder box reduces the amount of fuel needed to cook your meal because the fuel that would normally be used to keep your food at cooking temperatures after it has started boiling is eliminated.

Includes Materials needed & Instructions to make   ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down