Post by rick1 Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:46 am

Dave58 wrote:I hope this is not a precursor of what's to come

https://youtu.be/3cTrqLLKXT4

Where's the demonrats and their globle warming now Laugh Animated

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Record setting weather Empty Re: Record setting weather

Post by Cinnamon Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:08 am

We are having very cold weather with sleet/snow - not a lot, but some. I've been here 14 years...it has never sleeted or snowed before Thanksgiving since we moved here. I think I read we're in an 11 year cooling cycle that happens every so often.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:31 am

Records will be broke over the X-mas weekend, snow, sleet, freezing rain and subzero temperatures.

I was watching the weather channel and they said the Dakota's will not be above zero and windchills as low as -45, now that's cold.

We're getting freezing rain on Thursday, snow on Friday and single digit temperatures on Saturday and Sunday.

Make sure your backup to your backup heat and electric is in order, you may need it. Throw another log or 2 on the fire:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/us-braces-arctic-christmas-weather-winter-storm-warning-issued-washington

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:50 am

Bring in extra wood and putting up the window quilts... Putting out extra feed for the animals.

The weather says wind chill -21 with a blizzard warning..

Let the games begin

Dave58

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:06 pm

Dave58 wrote:Bring in extra wood and putting up the window quilts... Putting out extra feed for the animals.

Let the games begin  

Little house on the prairie here we come, just call me Mr. Edwards:

https://cdn.history101.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Little-House-Playbuzz-300x229.jpg

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:13 pm

rick1 wrote:
Dave58 wrote:Bring in extra wood and putting up the window quilts... Putting out extra feed for the animals.

Let the games begin  

https://cdn.history101.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Little-House-Playbuzz-300x229.jpg

I had the Mr. Edwards look going on , but my wife made me cut the beard lol..

Stay safe

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:40 pm

Dave58 wrote:
rick1 wrote:

Let the games begin  

I had the Mr. Edwards look going on , but my wife made me cut the beard lol..

Stay safe

We have 4 kids, our oldest (son) is 49 yo and none of them have seen me (in person, only pictures) without a beard, but I do keep it neatly trimmed.

OK, once in a generation storm heading to Buffalo. I think Drinkthekoolaid lives in that area. Batten down the hatches.

They're calling for windchills in my area at around 25 below and highs in the single digits to low teens and lows at around 0 to 2 below. Pretty cold for December.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/winter-storm-prep-national-weather-service-says-once-eneration-storm-approaching-buffalo-region-

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:09 pm

We have the same wind chill alert. Minus 25 is terrible but the thing that worries me is they are saying wind gust up to 55 mph. Electricity might become a problem. We have plenty of oil lamps, candles and the wood stove will be going...

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:31 pm

-6 degrees for my part of PA on Christmas Eve. Shocked

The whole state map is various shades of pink and magenta  Winter Cold-1

I'm going under my electric heating blanket and will see you all in May!

Admin

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:26 am

rick1 wrote:OK, once in a generation storm heading to Buffalo. I think Drinkthekoolaid lives in that area. Batten down the hatches.

They're calling for windchills in my area at around 25 below and highs in the single digits to low teens and lows at around 0 to 2 below. Pretty cold for December.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/winter-storm-prep-national-weather-service-says-once-eneration-storm-approaching-buffalo-region-
It isn't just the Buffalo area, but the whole midwest is going to see a "once in a generation" event. From what I have heard, the whole mid-west, from Shreveport LA to New Hamshire is supposed to get weather that hasn't been seen in years.

It is supposed to hit my area later this morning, between 9am and noon. The terrain here will break up the worst of the winds, but the grid is vulnerable up on the high, flat, areas east of the Bull Shoals Dam. I suspect it is vulnerable NW of me (towards Branson MO), also.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:59 am

The only reason I mentioned Buffalo, was that they already got 80 inches (7 1/2 feet) in three days last month.

Yep, everybody is going to feel this one, especially the cold Winter Cold-1

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:04 pm

I hate cold ..... Getting ready to hang up the window quilts and snuggle in for 2 or 3 days.. Good luck folks

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:06 am

Got 3" of snow..
Temp is -8
Wind chill -32

Still got power and a good fire in the stove

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:05 pm

Dave58 wrote:Got 3" of snow..
Temp is -8
Wind chill -32

Still got power and a good fire in the stove

About the same here right now, -2, a couple inches of snow and -28 wind chill. Winter Cold-5

OH and no power, lost it hours ago, running on solar battery right now.

And the tea kettle is just having a ball whistling a tune on the wood stove.

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:40 pm

Just got our power back, 38 hours no power but we were ready.

2 degrees outside, wind chill -26, 76 in the house.

They're calling for the mid 50's next weekend.

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:41 pm

We got the wind gusts and the bitter cold, plus a few inches of snow.

We have an insulated box with 3 heated cat houses in it for our cats. The box is on our covered porch. The wind was so bad, that the snow drifted all the way back to the windows under this porch, and into the cat houses! The cats slept in the back where it was warm. I put dry towels down and fleece blankets inside the front so they'd stay warm (none will come inside!). I also fed them in the houses so their paws wouldn't freeze in the snow covered porch.

The temps are rising - it was 58 today. The snow is gone and it's a beautiful night outside.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:08 pm

Cinnamon wrote:We got the wind gusts and the bitter cold, plus a few inches of snow.
Same here. About -3 with 2 inches of snow.
No blackouts, but we had multiple "glitches" in our power, and it tripped some breakers.

We have an insulated box with 3 heated cat houses in it for our cats. The box is on our covered porch. The wind was so bad, that the snow drifted all the way back to the windows under this porch, and into the cat houses! The cats slept in the back where it was warm. I put dry towels down and fleece blankets inside the front so they'd stay warm (none will come inside!). I also fed them in the houses so their paws wouldn't freeze in the snow covered porch.
Sounds like both, you and your cats, are lucky to have each other.

The temps are rising - it was 58 today. The snow is gone and it's a beautiful night outside.
We had a normal day, yesterday, except for 50 mph winds. Today was record breaking warm. 72 degrees.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinkthekoolaid Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:14 pm

So the town I live in, ( a suburb of buffalo NY) I received 80" of snow (not exaggeration) in a storm in November right before Thanksgiving.

We just had the Christmas storm which also made national news for many bad reasons. Complete mess. Last I heard 39 deaths in my county.

I'll post up more later on my opinions, observations and take aways.

Drinkthekoolaid

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:43 pm

Drinkthekoolaid wrote:So the town I live in, ( a suburb of buffalo NY) I received 80" of snow (not exaggeration) in a storm in November right before Thanksgiving.

We just had the Christmas storm which also made national news for many bad reasons. Complete mess.  Last I heard 39 deaths in my county.

I'll post up more later on my opinions, observations and take aways.

Keep us informed Drink, let us know what you had to do to get through that mess.

Hope all goes well for all you guys in Buffalo.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:04 am

Our weather has returned to normal winter - cold days, mostly sunny for now.

I walked the dogs this morning - 35 degrees. The sun was coming up over the horizon. Because we have so many trees, the sun is partially blocked as it rises. As I walked down the road, the sun gilded the tops of the trees and the old leaves that still clung to the branches. it was so pretty and golden on this cold winter day.

The dogs sniffed and bounced from side to side of the road. They enjoyed getting out to stretch their legs (Despite the fact they ran all around their one acre fenced yard 15 minutes before).

Nice start to the day.

Y'all have a Happy New Year.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:41 am

Happy New Year ... Dancing Group

Weather is weird here -35 wind chill last week and tomorrow is going to be close to 60 not that I mind, but a little strange

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinkthekoolaid Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:01 pm

Hi guys....

Here's my .02 cents.

I live in a suburb just south of buffalo NY, obviously we are used to snow. We live in what's called the lake effect snow belt and getting 150" of snow in a year is not unheard of. I'm just saying that to give some perspective that what I'm going to write is in regards to people that are used to snow.

This November we got a freak storm that broke NY state record for most snow in a 48 hours period. It was snowing at 6" per hour for about 40 hours. We got 80" of snow. Yes 80.

https://www.foxweather.com/weather-news/buffalo-lake-effect-snow-november-2022

People were snowed in for about 4-5 days it was physically impossible to leave your house the snow was so thick and heavy. They needed payloaders to come dig out the streets the municipal town plows couldn't over come it.  All in all since it was mostly focused on the suburbs nothing unusual happened, people are used to it, everyone behaved. Some neighbors ignored their snow and let it pile up and needed to be dug out by tractors.  Others like myself spent a considerable amount of effort to keep up with the snow and  keep their driveway clear.

Fast forward about 1 month. We just got a widespread blizzard hitting all of the region. The city of buffalo and all suburbs got hit. There was 4 days notice of the storm coming and yet 40+ people died and there was mass looting in the city.  Yes you heard that correct.

It's amazing how helpless some people are and oblivious. People in an area known for blizzards, with a blizzard in the forecast were driving around without winter jackets and survival gear. Didn't have shovels or blankets in the car. The roads became impassable and gridlocked. People panicked and many froze to death. The government which we all know is useless essentially told people "you're on your own we can't help you".

This is the important part.  

Situations like this bring out the best and worst in people. Many people sheltered others and helped their fellow man. For every good deed there was probably a person looking to exploit the situation. As soon as government broke and even though everyone knew things would be back to normal in a couple days law and order broke down and looting began. Many stores in the city were looted and destroyed. People weren't looting for food or essentials it's the same story of looting for beer, cigarettes, tvs etc. They did it because they could and thought they could get away from it.

https://southernillinoisnow.com/2022/12/31/buffalos-deadly-blizzard-by-the-numbers-what-made-the-storm-so-historic/#

https://www.foxnews.com/us/buffalo-police-investigate-looting-winter-storm-freezes-northwest-new-york

https://www.wbfo.org/local/2022-12-30/looting-closes-down-aldi-grocery-store-on-broadway

There are plenty more stories if you Google.

To make matters worse a few store owners defended their stores.  Guess who got arrested?  The store owners. The government is just as dangerous as animals.  They each have the ability to ruin you

It's ridiculous.

It once again proves what many of us think, the unprepared and unthinking are all around us.  Most everything can be avoided by just simple thinking and planning ahead and being prepared. Unprepared and evil people will be your biggest threat

Oh, and it's been 50,60 the past 4 days. The jet stream is doing some really weird things.

Drinkthekoolaid

rick1 and Dave58 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:29 pm

That's a lot of snow Drink and a lot of shoveling. People just don't prepare and they listen to tic toc too much.

Here's one good reason to break into a building, besides to steal someone's property:

https://weather.com/storms/winter/video/new-york-man-breaks-into-school-during-buffalo-blizzard-saves-dozens

Drinkthekoolaid likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinkthekoolaid Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:21 pm

rick1 wrote:That's a lot of snow Drink and a lot of shoveling. People just don't prepare and they listen to tic toc too much.

Here's one good reason to break into a building, besides to steal someone's property:

https://weather.com/storms/winter/video/new-york-man-breaks-into-school-during-buffalo-blizzard-saves-dozens

100% fine with that. There are many examples of people being creative and helping others. As I said it brought out the best and worst in people.

Drinkthekoolaid

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:28 pm

Whenever we have lots of snow in our region, despite us being in the back of beyond, most years we have had to help a stranded motorist on (or usually off) our road. For some reason, some people think it's OK to go on a gravel road with 10 inches of snow with a low-to-the-ground vehicle to go "visiting" since they have the day off.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

rick1 and Drinkthekoolaid like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:20 pm

Cinnamon wrote:Whenever we have lots of snow in our region, despite us being in the back of beyond, most years we have had to help a stranded motorist on (or usually off) our road. For some reason, some people think it's OK to go on a gravel road with 10 inches of snow with a low-to-the-ground vehicle to go "visiting" since they have the day off.
There is a policy withing the Fish and Game Departments of most states:
“We recognize that many people care deeply about wildlife, and it can be difficult to watch nature play out, but feeding operations, good intentions and all, can actually do more harm for wildlife than good."
Reasoning is simple but overlooked, in addition to making them more dependent on us:
... even those who do venture outdoors in the cold weather tend to stop when the storms and chills become too severe — leaving the animals who become dependent on hand-feeding stranded.
This is what you just observed. People who are used to being bailed out, having their roads cleared and bridges salted venture further into territory they have little knowledge about and, had you not come along, they sometimes wind up like those in Buffalo, who ventured out into blizzard, in a t-shirt, and became a victim.

The truth is that we now have about 3 generations of people who have no survival skills, and very little common sense.

TRex2

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down