2022 - January - What Did You Do To Prepare This Week/Month?

2 posters

Go down

2022 - January - What Did You Do To Prepare This Week/Month? Empty 2022 - January - What Did You Do To Prepare This Week/Month?

Post by Cinnamon Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:15 am

Sorry I'm late starting the new thread.

My sister started radiation over an hour's drive away. Monday through Friday. I'm the driver. This is the last of her treatment, so we're celebrating, despite having to be in the car for 2-3 hours every week day for the next 6 weeks.

Our Blaze King wood stove had a catalytic converter catastrophe. Ordered a new one, and will get the chimney cleaned before installing. For the moment, we're surviving on electric heat. Sad

Still building my herbal cabinet. I bought stuff to battle respiratory illnesses, based on the Frontline Doctors MATH protocols. Read up on some other stuff, too, from different sources. I think I have enough herbs and supplements to take care of ourselves for now. (Qeurcetin, Vitamin D3 + K2, Vitamin C, zinc, melatonin, black cumin seed, quinine, aspirin, nicotine lozenges, and horse paste for the horses).

I also did some research on rebuilding teeth - I've been visiting the dentist more in the last 2 years than I have in the last 20...discovered that Calcium tablets with hydroxyapatite helps rebuild bones and teeth. So I'm taking that now. You can also get toothpaste with this ingredient. I ordered some and the first time I brushed my teeth with it, I could both feel, and see a difference. It's expensive, but my teeth and gums feel better and the sensitivity is almost gone!

Husband ordered an alcohol stove for camping and power outages. To test it we made soup from dehydrated stuff we had laying around the house. Turned out pretty tasty!

We have several means to cook without electricity - back up plans for back up plans. Propane, butane, alcohol, and when all else fails, cooking on the wood stove or over an open fire. Small learning curves for each different method, but worth knowing.

Scarce supplies in our area are starting to become more visible. Sam's Club had no toilet paper. I haven't been able to find the tubes of instant rolls/biscuits in several stores. I don't use them often, but they're good to have on hand on our very busy days. Eggs, and random dairy stuff is missing from the shelves (cheeses, cream cheese, butter, sour cream). It may be upwards to three to four weeks before we see it again. Canned goods are sparse, too - fruits vegetables, and canned meats, including staples like tuna.

This is not a problem for us - we live where the farmer's markets are alive and well. The Amish, ranching and farming surround us.

Depending on where you are in the state - gas is hovering from $2.89 to $3.00.

Other than the political drama, life is moving along as usual here at the Cin and Husband homestead. Smile

Cinnamon
Cinnamon

rick1 and Dave58 like this post

Back to top Go down

2022 - January - What Did You Do To Prepare This Week/Month? Empty Re: 2022 - January - What Did You Do To Prepare This Week/Month?

Post by Cinnamon Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:29 am

Husband is canning more foods from our freezer - soups, stews, chili, and spaghetti. We've been handing out jars to family and friends, too.

The wood stove has been cleaned and repaired. We are now using wood heat, which feels great.

Tomorrow I go in to get a new windshield on my car...it cracked on the bitter cold last week.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

2022 - January - What Did You Do To Prepare This Week/Month? Empty Re: 2022 - January - What Did You Do To Prepare This Week/Month?

Post by Dave58 Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:41 am

I have been canning beans. Its so much easier to just take them off the shelf and heat and eat......

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:57 am

I cooked beans on the wood stove a couple days ago - some of the ham broth and a hock went into it, too. The house smelled great. Gave to my Mom because right now, beans are about all she'll eat. She's losing her sense of taste and says everything tastes bad...except beans. Smile MY sister froze them in portions so Mom can have whenever she wants.

The windshield has been replaced.

The wood stove and pipe is now cleaned and the stove is working as it should.

We are keeping the gas tanks full as we go out and about, and are re-stocking supplies as soon as we're out (if supplies are to be had).

In general, we are doing upkeep, repairs, and maintenance for everything as soon as possible. Normally, we tend to let some things go for a bit, and then get it done at a more convenient time. But with all the political unrest, we're getting things done as quick as possible, so we don't have issues later.

I'm sure the world is as crazy as its ever been, but with information at our fingertips every second of the day, it seems more wild than usual.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:05 am

I will be canning beans for the next couple of days white/pinto and black... I can them in pints and just heat them up on the stove.. I will be canning chicken breast pretty soon trying to empty the freezer a little bit.....

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:33 pm

Dave,

We are doing exactly the same thing - trying to empty the freezer in case of power outages. February here is usually the worst month for piles of snow, cold snaps, ice storms, and the like.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down