2024 - MARCH - What Did You Do To Prep For The Week/Month?

Go down

2024 - MARCH - What Did You Do To Prep For The Week/Month? Empty 2024 - MARCH - What Did You Do To Prep For The Week/Month?

Post by Cinnamon Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:45 am

Started the thread a day early as we are swinging into Spring and all the maintenance chores that go with that.

Husband has mixed the compost pile into the raised beds, but we are awaiting the new rototiller to get everything stirred up well for planting. He seed started heirloom tomatoes and they are currently maturing on our unlit wood stove inside the house. He plans to have a "salad" garden - lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, and bell peppers. He's also preparing the garden for the "three sisters" - corn, beans, and squash. We will round out with Yukon Gold potatoes, red potatoes and some other stuff I can't remember. We have to wait until last frost date, I think end of April, but trying to get a head start on everything.  

I bought more seeds - heirloom herbs and some other stuff I want to try. I ordered Hungarian pepper plant seeds (the kind that can be ground into paprika) because that is my plan...I want to use our smoker to make our own quality smoked paprika. I also bought edamame, mache, leeks, and a small type of watermelon called "doll baby." I plan to start them in the house, and then move them to pots, except the watermelon, which will go into the ground.

Husband made a slide up-and-down gate for the cat area on our front porch so I can get in and out, and the cats can eat their kibble in peace if the dogs are lounging on the porch with them.

The new dog is a wonderful blessing. He has bonded to our high energy GSD/Husky and they hate to be separated. They play, lounge, and have zoomies together all day. He is a digger and a runner, and he's taught her to be - we've had about 10 incidents now where they've gotten out...which forced us to harden and repair the backyard fencing, which needed it anyway. They are safely secured, now. Our other dog is more sedate and he is thrilled that they are buddies so he can nap all day.

I am still finishing up quilting and sewing tasks as I downsize that part of my life. Every time I think I'm done, I find another project hidden away in a closet or box that needs to be finished! At some point, I plan to chuck it all to the next person in the family who wants to sew!

I'm trying to get back into the routine of baking on a weekly basis. I used to do it, but the medical issues took precedence. Now that everyone is stable I'm working to get back into my old habits. I enjoyed cooking and baking and I'm experimenting with different things to be more self-sufficient, and to be healthier. I took my sour dough starter out of the fridge where it was hibernating, and will feed it for the next 10 days to get a good start before I begin baking. I went ahead and made pancakes from scratch and froze them for future use.

How's everyone else doing?
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

2024 - MARCH - What Did You Do To Prep For The Week/Month? Empty Re: 2024 - MARCH - What Did You Do To Prep For The Week/Month?

Post by Cinnamon Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:44 pm

Husband canned a batch of chili yesterday (13 quarts) and some spaghetti sauce today (7 quarts).

I finished the quilt and started on the next one.

The sourdough is performing well, already smells good but I want good flavor to develop, so I'm letting it go a few more days before I start baking with it.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

2024 - MARCH - What Did You Do To Prep For The Week/Month? Empty Re: 2024 - MARCH - What Did You Do To Prep For The Week/Month?

Post by Cinnamon Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:13 pm

So much has happened in the last few weeks as we dive right into getting the garden ready, spring planting, and seed starts.

Husband started heirloom tomatoes, potatoes, green beans, cabbage, and bell peppers. The tomatoes are doing great, the others are catching up.

I started rosemary, basil, and lavender. The basil is struggling, the other two are doing fine.

We got the garden cage erected, now to put the chicken wire all over it in hopes of keeping the critters out of the garden. Husband has used a hoe on the soil, but he'll rototiller it when we get ready to plant everything in the cage.

I've made 3 loaves of sourdough bread so far, it's all eaten. I also made sourdough buttermilk pancakes and froze a bunch for future use. Next up is pizza crust.

I finished the 2nd quilt top, so both are now ready to go to the long arm quilter.

A friend at the consignment shop asked me to make some cute things to sell...I asked what, and she said, "you know, cute things!" I've made a quilted block denim drawstring tote bag, some keychain wristlets, and some jar openers, so far. I'm looking at making more tote bags, and maybe some Easter baskets, too.

We went grocery shopping to stock up and hit the only yard sale in town. I found lots of goodies!

A baggie full of 1 inch split rings (for keys) - $1
2 yards of fabric for aprons - $1
A bag with 18 spools of ribbon (some never used) - $1
A roll of shelf liner that I use to make the jar openers - $1
6 hanks of 1 inch elastic - $2
2 beautiful gallon pots for plants (never used) - $6
Hand crocheted snowflake garland - $1
A gallon insulated jug with a strap - $1
An antique oak office chair on wheels! - $20

Anyway, that is our week prepping mostly for the garden, but also other things.

I hope you all have a happy Easter. He is risen!

Cinnamon
Cinnamon

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:07 am

Husband canned another 13 quarts of spaghetti. We are anticipating family visiting this summer and want to be ready for quick, filling meals.

I cleaned up the guest bedroom, and organized things around it to be able to sew faster. I made aprons, key holders, and jar openers for the consignment shop. I'll probably make more stuff, but we shall see.

The basil died. I replanted seeds, so we'll see what happens. The corn salad is poking a few stalks up...still not sure about that one. Everything else is doing great, so far. The lavender has two tiny stalks, and the rosemary seems to be doing well. The beans took off - a week in the soil and they're already 4-6 inches high! The cabbage and the bell peppers are finally showing, too.

All are inside the house under grow lights until the cold passes.

We're off to grocery shopping and restocking the pantry today.

Cinnamon
Cinnamon

rick1 and Dave58 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down