Oatmeal-Stored in Bucket for 10 years

2 posters

Go down

Oatmeal-Stored in Bucket for 10 years Empty Oatmeal-Stored in Bucket for 10 years

Post by ReadyMom Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:22 am

Cracking Open a Ten-Year-Old Bucket of Food
http://www.askaprepper.com/cracking-open-ten-year-old-bucket-food/

School starts up again this week, so I need to start doing breakfast. Since I’m incredibly lazy, I want something easy and fast. Cold pizza is my #1 choice, but who can afford that? I figured I’d just have instant oatmeal. Turns out, my pantry was devoid of the stuff. Must have used it all up last semester. Hmm. Well, let’s rotate some out of storage.

(SNIP)

As I’m sure you are familiar with, instant oatmeal is usually packaged in paper pouches – not the best sort of thing for long-term storage. As always, I turned to my trusty vacuum sealer. Sealed up ten pouches to a bag, sealed ’em up in a bucket, and tucked ’em away. Until today. Let’s see what we got. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Oatmeal-Stored in Bucket for 10 years Empty Re: Oatmeal-Stored in Bucket for 10 years

Post by rick1 Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:02 am

Oatmeal test, good to know. I buy the quick oats and put them in quart jars with O2 absorbers and vac seal the tops, I check them yearly and they're still sealed.

Everybody asks me why I seal most items in quart jars, the reason is that we have about 250 lbs of meat in the freezer. If all goes south, the quart jars will be used to can all the meats we have.

I have about 20 food grade, 5 gallon buckets with lids, that I got from the deli downtown. All the oats, sugars, salt, rice, etc. will be put in these buckets and then the canning will begin.

Back to top Go down