dmwalsh568
Drinkthekoolaid
ReadyMom
8 posters

Go down

When Trucks Stop, America Stops Empty When Trucks Stop, America Stops

Post by ReadyMom Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:43 pm

When Trucks Stop, America Stops
https://www.trucking.org/sites/default/files/2019-12/When%20Trucks%20Stop%20America%20Stops.pdf

Prepared by the American Trucking Associations

A Timeline Showing the Deterioration of Major Industries Following a Truck Stoppage

The first 24 hours

• Delivery of medical supplies to the affected area will cease.
  • Hospitals will run out of basic supplies such as syringes and catheters within hours. Radio
    pharmaceuticals will deteriorate and become unusable.
  • Service stations will begin to run out of fuel.
  • Manufacturers using just-in-time manufacturing will develop component shortages.
  • U.S. mail and other package delivery will cease.

Within one day

• Food shortages will begin to develop.
  • Automobile fuel availability and delivery will dwindle, leading to skyrocketing prices and long
    lines at the gas pumps.
  • Without manufacturing components and trucks for product delivery, assembly lines will shut
    down, putting thousands out of work.

Within two to three days

• Food shortages will escalate, especially in the face of hoarding and consumer panic.
  • Supplies of essentials such as bottled water, powdered milk, and canned meat at major
    retailers will disappear.
  • ATMs will run out of cash and banks will be unable to process transactions.
  • Service stations will completely run out of fuel for autos and trucks.
  • Garbage will start piling up in urban and suburban areas.
  • Container ships will sit idle in ports and rail transport will be disrupted, eventually coming to a
    standstill.

Within a week

• Automobile travel will cease due to the lack of fuel. Without autos and busses, many people
    will not be able to get to work, shop for groceries, or access medical care.
  • Hospitals will begin to exhaust oxygen supplies.

Within two weeks

• The nationĂ¢'s clean water supply will begin to run dry.

Within four weeks

• The nation will exhaust its clean water supply and water will be safe for drinking only after
    boiling. As a result gastrointestinal illnesses will increase, further taxing an already
    weakened health care system.

This timeline presents only the primary effects of a freeze on truck travel. Secondary effects must be considered as well, such as inability to maintain telecommunications service, reduced law enforcement, increased crime, increased illness and injury, higher death rates, and likely, civil unrest.

Last edited by ReadyMom on Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Updated Link)

Admin

Back to top Go down

When Trucks Stop, America Stops Empty Re: When Trucks Stop, America Stops

Post by ReadyMom Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:45 pm

Hat Tip Hat Tip to 'Pixie' over at Planning For Pandemics

Truckers crucial in flu pandemic, study says
http://www.thestar.com/living/article/513486

TheStar.com - News & Features - Truckers crucial in flu pandemic, study says

Health care staff aren't the only ones who should get top priority

October 08, 2008
Stuart Laidlaw
Faith and Ethics Reporter

When a flu pandemic hits, utility workers and truck drivers will be as valuable in resolving the ensuing crisis as doctors and nurses will be, and so should also get top priority when it comes to deciding who gets medical care, a new bioethics study says.

"It takes a lot of people to keep society going," says Nancy Kass, a professor at the Johns Hopkins Berman Institute of Bioethics and lead author of the study in the most recent edition of the journal Biosecurity and Bioterrorism.

Traditional pandemic planning calls for giving first priority for medical treatment to hospital staff and "first responders" to a crisis, such as firefighters and ambulance workers, so that the immediate health crisis can be dealt with effectively.

But as Hurricane Katrina showed three years ago, the study argues, "the after-effects of a disaster can be as damaging as the precipitating event," as electricity and heat are cut off, clean water becomes scarce and sewage starts to back up.

"There could be widespread social chaos, significant outbreaks of other infectious diseases, and severe anxiety, with the possibility of social degeneration, looting, or even violence as people try to secure needed supplies," the study says.

-snip-

The study also predicts there will be limited resources for helping those in need, so recommends that the rich and middle class be expected to stockpile their own food, water, batteries, medicines and other supplies, allowing scarce public resources to be dedicated to helping the most vulnerable in society. --- FULL REPORT at link, above ---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinkthekoolaid Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:46 pm

This is a sector I know very well.

Ive taken what j know and what I've learned about other topics.

There are many ways trucks can stop. Nationwide strike, gas shortage, electric grid down, internet down, pandemic, EMP etc...

Anyone of the above will cause trucking to grind to a halt and it will have consequences most can't imagine.

Do you guys have any idea how dependent steel Mills, oil refineries, chemical plants, power plants etc... Are on receiving regular industrial gas deliveries and what happens if they don't receive them? They do not have large on site tanks or inventory storage to last a long time.

How long do you think hospitals will last until people start dying from running out of supplies and resources. I guarantee it's not as long as you think.

Drinkthekoolaid

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:57 am

Just in time systems may be great for the bottom line but they reduce resiliency, so any hiccups in distribution can cause major disruptions.... And a full stop on all deliveries would cause a full blown SHTF. Even if the underlying problem was solved in a few weeks it would take a long time to get back to normal.

Just one of the many reasons I prep...

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:49 pm

According Alexandria Ocasio Cortez (alphabet for short), the trucks will stop running within 10 years, she is one heck of an uneducated person. And she has a lot of backing:

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/07/691997301/rep-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-releases-green-new-deal-outline

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:56 pm

I try to keep just to prepping and stay out of politics, but I can't answer without touching on that, so...

AOC didn't say any such thing. She has set an aspiration goal of removing combustion engines from the roads, not get rid of trucks. HUGE difference between the two statements. Electric vehicles or fuel cell vehicles would both qualify as non-combustion and companies have been developing both to keep ahead of trends.

Ok, went through the proposal and no mention of trucks at all. The only section I could find that even touches on it is:

Page 8, lines 15 thru 24:
(H) overhauling transportation systems in the United States to remove pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from the transportation sector as much as is technologically feasible, including through investment in—
(i) zero-emission vehicle infrastructure and manufacturing;
(ii) clean, affordable, and accessible public transit; and
(iii) high-speed rail;

Personally I think investment in those areas is a great idea since it will spur innovation here at home rather than letting other countries take the lead, technologically speaking.

Anyway, local electric delivery trucks are already being tested.

UPS has a program: https://www.fastcompany.com/90229460/your-ups-deliveries-may-soon-arrive-in-electric-trucks

And Frito-Lay launched their test program back in 2013 to evaluate diesel versus electric delivery trucks. You can read more about it here: https://www.nrel.gov/transportation/fleettest-electric-frito.html

Wired had a good article from November 2017 talking about the long haul trucking market: https://www.wired.com/story/teslas-electric-truck-is-comingand-so-are-everyone-elses/

Long haul trucks are the hardest part to fix, but if folks are serious about slowing down climate change then something has to happen. Sure, I realize some folks don't think it's real or that its just normal climate variations, but I tend to think that climate scientists get things right more often than not...and the weather has started getting seriously weird in the past few years. Anybody in the midwest might remember that chilly weather we had in January? When Chicago was -22F it was 20F in Nome, AK and -6F in Utqiagvik, AK - something is seriously wrong when the midwest is colder than Alaska!

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/01/30/chicago-deep-freeze-colder-than-arctic-yukon-mars-siberia-mount-everest/

All that said, I wouldn't suggest that anyone under 30 consider trucking to be a viable long term career. With self-driving cars and trucks, how long will it be before robotic vehicles are moving the freight that used to be driven by truckers? Whether they are diesel powered, hydrogen powered, or electric doesn't matter to the folks who may be replaced by automation....

Sorry for the mini-rant. I get peeved when people spout talking points and don't pay attention to details. Details matter. Ok, back to prepping... anybody still worried about Pakistan and India clashing again over the Kashmir territories?  Cool

I yield the soap box.

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:49 pm

I agree with ya dmwalsh568, especially with the politic side of it, but the last four words in the second paragraph of their goal is:

"eliminate all U.S. carbon emissions."

Now there are ways to slow down, not eliminate carbon emissions such as battery vehicles, propane vehicles, etc..

State College, PA., their buses have been running on propane for years now and PA is trying to expand the use of natural gas versus coal and oil, but it hasn't gotten the votes to pass.

Back to top Go down

Post by oldasrocks Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:44 pm

OMG! If the trucks quit and we get snowed in this household will run out of fuel and supplies by Christmas.
oldasrocks
oldasrocks

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:07 am

The Terrifying Danger Of Our Just-In-Time Food Delivery System
https://urbansurvivalsite.com/danger-just-in-time-food-delivery-system/

When Trucks Stop, America Stops Ngcb1 (SNIP) ... What is a Just-in-Time Delivery System?

It’s when businesses and stores keep just enough inventory on their shelves to meet the current demand replacing items purchased next as the last item is sold. Businesses have developed this system as a way to lower their overhead costs.

Instead of paying more money to purchase a huge amount of supplies and paying rent for a warehouse to store them, businesses have streamlined their inventory to just the bare minimum items they’ll need to fulfill the next day’s orders. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Blondie Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:34 pm

Blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:39 pm

Blondie wrote:And this reposted from Daisy Luther...yes indeed, the trucks may stop.

https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-finance/trucker-strike-november-could-be-another-nail-supply-chain-coffin
I hope they do it, and I hope it encourages them to repeat as necessary.

(It is one of the things brought up in The Boog Book.)

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:57 pm

Truckers are going to stop running on more than one days this month:

https://www.gobytrucknews.com/trucker-strikes-november/123

Back to top Go down

Post by Blondie Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:29 pm

Rick, some drivers saying they will park over Thanksgiving (think Black Friday/Cyber Monday) packages.

UPS is the largest Teamster Union trucking company as are a few FedEx Express hubs. I doubt the union guys will sit but the opportunity for disgruntled independents to park or stage a sick out is HUGE. FedEx Ground, FedEx Home, Amazon, Laser Ship via USPS and on and on......

Plan your holiday shopping and shipping.

Blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:04 pm

Not too sure how well this is going to work.

There are over 3 million truckers (seems impossible to get an actual figure on this, because no one can seem to define what is or is not a trucker).

If there are only 15,000 on board with this, all it will do is get some truckers fired. I am guessing, the minimum number of trucks stopped, to make it impossible to fire the strikers, would be about 100,000.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:04 am

Once again, the Truckers decided to stand up to the wokeness of this world, and once again, their lack of preparedness in their communications will scuttle their efforts.

The were actually coordinating their plans on Facebook.

Really? Coordinating their plans on the enemy's own website?

Facebook took them down.

Go Figure.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/facebook-dc-trucker-page-freedom-convoy-censorship
The U.S. group’s Facebook page, however, was removed early Wednesday in a move that the organizer called "censorship at its finest."

The group, titled "Convoy to D.C. 2022," acted as a place for truckers to plan and coordinate their trek from California to Washington, D.C.

Jeremy Johnson, who set up the Facebook group, said his personal account was also removed, prompting him to contact a civil rights attorney to discuss the next steps.

"They like to silence people that speak the truth," Johnson said of his Facebook ban.

TRex2

rick1 and Dave58 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:19 am

Talked to a truck driving friend this morning and he said the Freedom Convoy is going to happen..

Better get what you need and stack it to the ceiling

Dave58

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:38 am

U.S. truckers are ready to go, will begin their tour on Wednesday.

One thing about a U.S. trucker, they aren't as nice and polite as the their Canadian counterpart, I look for some damage to be done:

https://www.newsmax.com/newsmax-tv/canada-truckers-covid-mandates/2022/02/17/id/1057246/?ns_mail_uid=ed113837-94a1-4b8d-8fab-a7f206fd5031&ns_mail_job=DM303749_02172022&s=acs&dkt_nbr=010102eumz03

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down