Gardening system.

2 posters

Go down

Gardening system. Empty Gardening system.

Post by oldasrocks Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:33 am

We have an elaborate system I have developed and refined at this location over the last 20 yrs.

Our main garden, 50 ft X 60 ft is set up with cattle panel trellises. Luckily I did this before prices were insane on the panels. I have used most of these for over 30yrs and they are still good.
So 16 ft rows, 6 ft apart. Drip irrigation system, over head from row to row. We grow beans, peas, cukes, and tomatoes. Tomatoes get sandwiched between two panels a fee inches apart.

Between the rows I use scrap carpet scavenged from carpet shop garbage cans. I use jute backed so water will go through it. I cut it in 6 ft wide pieces to roll out. This keeps the weeds down and gives you a soft knee saving, mud free place to kneel down. This yr I am improving on that. I grew Candyland cherrys last yr. They are a pain to pick as grape sized. I finally figured out just to pick them and let them drop. Easy to pick up except for in the row itself. So I acquired more carpet and melted a 6 inch diameter hole every 18 inches to plant in. After I till I will build a slight mound, lay down the carpet and install the trellises. I should be able to pick and drop the fruit and it should roll out on the other carpet. Drip lines go under the center carpet.

I put up 71 jars of tomato juice from these tomatoes last yr. Excellent flavor. I just wash them and toss them into a blender. Heat and seal in jars.

The center carpet should keep the weeds down in the rows too. Same system for peppers but 12 inches apart.
oldasrocks
oldasrocks

Back to top Go down

Gardening system. Empty Re: Gardening system.

Post by rick1 Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:56 am

You're a trip OAR, but that is a good idea.

Next thing you'll be doing is buying old rain spout to put on either side of your plants so the tomatoes all roll down into a 5 gallon bucket and all you'll have to do is switch buckets when they're full.

Back to top Go down

Post by oldasrocks Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:02 pm

Good idea but You'd have to cut a barrel in half. The vines on this variety grows huge.-probably 4 ft across with hundreds of tomatoes.
oldasrocks
oldasrocks

Back to top Go down

Post by oldasrocks Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:40 am

Don't know of this should be a separate topic of not but this yr with increased fertilizer costs we are trying to go organic.
We have chickens that should supply enough nitrogen but after reading several articles on using urine for fertilizer we are going to try that too.

I read that urine supplies a lot of different things like urea, Potassium and ammonia but you need to dilute it 10 to 1 or burn stuff. I have an 25 gallon sprayer that I built a wagon for and will be installing a boom on it for spreading on grass areas. One grass slope is very poor so will try that area first. Think I will try 6 ft wide strips so I can see the difference if any.

Has anyone else tried this method of fertilizer?
oldasrocks
oldasrocks

Back to top Go down

Post by oldasrocks Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:34 pm

Get your frozen veggies planted now. Another big volcano just erupted so may not have a summer this year.

Installing more raised beds this yr as easier to take care of in my old age.
Potatoes and onions are up. Put a hoop cover on one bed so I can start some early tomatoes next week.
oldasrocks
oldasrocks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down