Comparing the Different Ways to Preserve Foods- Freeze-Dried, Dehydrated, MRE, Food Bars...

3 posters

Go down

Comparing the Different Ways to Preserve Foods- Freeze-Dried, Dehydrated, MRE, Food Bars... Empty Comparing the Different Ways to Preserve Foods- Freeze-Dried, Dehydrated, MRE, Food Bars...

Post by ReadyMom Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:09 am

Pros and Cons of Freeze-Dried, Dehydrated, MRE, Food Bars...
https://thesurvivalmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/LDS-Preparedness-Manual.pdf

(Pages 73-80)

Pros and Cons of Freeze-Dried, Dehydrated, MRE, Food Bars, & Basic Commodities.

Freeze-Dried / Instant

Pros
Very low moisture
Very lightweight
Long shelf life
Reconstitutes quickly
Retains original shape, texture, color after resonstitution
Best way to dry meat items

Cons
Most expensive food storage option
Most items require water to prepare
Items are bulkier than if dehydrated

[size=150]Dehydrated (most items)[/size]

Pros
Low moisture
Lightweight
Long shelf life
No waste
Not easily spoiled

Cons
Requires water to prepare
Some items take a long time to reconstitute
Some items loose taste after recontitution
Dehydration process can affect nutritional value
Some items have poor visual appeal

[size=150]MRE (Meal Ready to Eat)[/size]

Pros
Can be eaten right from pouch without preparation
Requires no water to prepare
Can be heated for hot meal by many methods
Convenient to use
Familiar foods available
No mixing or blending required

Cons
Taste of MREs considered poor by some
Artificial additives added in many recipes
Expensive considering actual food received
Many entrees more like sauces & require additional quality carbohydrates for a filling meal
Entrees alone will not supply adequate nutritional value
Because of foil pouch, they are susceptable to puncture
Can be heavy if larger quantities need to be transportated

Emergency food bars

Pros
Compact - convenient
Low cost
5 year shelf life
Can take exposure to high heat

Cons
Limited nutritional value
Not a satisfying substitute for a hot meal
Not adequate for prolonged use

Grains, Beans, Basic Commodities

Pros
Very familiar
Low cost
Long storage life
Traditional basic foods
Good nutritional value
Many sproutable seeds, grains, and beans increase

Cons
Not generally appropriate for shorter term emergencies
Very heavy weight
Requires large quantities of water and fuel to prepare
More time consuming to prepare
Time is required to adapt to basic comodity oriented diet
For higher calorie requirements a fairly large quantity of nutritional value grains/beans must be consumed when eaten exclusively

(This manual may be freely re-printed and distributed so long as all of the copyrights of the original authors  are respected, and such reproduction is NEVER DONE FOR COMMERCIAL GAIN!.)

Last edited by ReadyMom on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:46 am; edited 2 times in total

Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.Comparing the Different Ways to Preserve Foods- Freeze-Dried, Dehydrated, MRE, Food Bars... Ssig_thankyou_100-100
ReadyMom
ReadyMom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Comparing the Different Ways to Preserve Foods- Freeze-Dried, Dehydrated, MRE, Food Bars... Empty Re: Comparing the Different Ways to Preserve Foods- Freeze-Dried, Dehydrated, MRE, Food Bars...

Post by ReadyMom Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:16 am

MRE vs Freeze Dried: Which is Right For You?
https://www.thereadystore.com/diy/17422/mre-vs-freeze-dried-which-is-right-for-you/

Comparing the Different Ways to Preserve Foods- Freeze-Dried, Dehydrated, MRE, Food Bars... Mre_storage_life_link-488x322 If you're new to the preparedness world, you may feel overwhelmed with all the options you have available to you. The Ready Store has a huge variety of freeze-dried food in pouches, cans, and buckets. We also have a vast variety of MREs. So, which ones are best for your needs? Here's a breakdown of what you need to know to make the best decision for your family's preparedness goals. ---CONTINUED---

Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.Comparing the Different Ways to Preserve Foods- Freeze-Dried, Dehydrated, MRE, Food Bars... Ssig_thankyou_100-100
ReadyMom
ReadyMom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Comparing the Different Ways to Preserve Foods- Freeze-Dried, Dehydrated, MRE, Food Bars... Empty Re: Comparing the Different Ways to Preserve Foods- Freeze-Dried, Dehydrated, MRE, Food Bars...

Post by ReadyMom Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:44 am

Dehydrator Versus Freeze Dryer – What’s the Difference?
https://commonsensehome.com/dehydrator-versus-freeze-dryer/

Comparing the Different Ways to Preserve Foods- Freeze-Dried, Dehydrated, MRE, Food Bars... Dehydrator-versus-freeze-dryer-tall18 Several people have asked me, “What’s the difference between dehydrating and freeze drying?” or “What’s the difference between a dehydrator and a freeze dryer?”. Although they perform similar functions – food is dried for storage – how they do it and the resulting product is quite different. We’ll take a look at the equipment involved and the final product. ---CONTINUED---

ReadyMom
ReadyMom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:46 am

I wanted to order a few items and it seems that companies are running out of items and it may take up to 2 or 3 months to get your order.

Seems that the coronavirus has opened a lot of eyes. I checked Augason Farms and BePrepared and they're out of stock on a lot of items. BePrepared has a shipping date of 1 to 2 months after you place the order.

I'm glad I really didn't need the items I wanted to add to my stock.-

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:01 pm

rick1 wrote:I wanted to order a few items and it seems that companies are running out of items and it may take up to 2 or 3 months to get your order.

Seems that the coronavirus has opened a lot of eyes. I checked Augason Farms and BePrepared and they're out of stock on a lot of items. BePrepared has a shipping date of 1 to 2 months after you place the order.

I'm glad I really didn't need the items I wanted to add to my stock.-

I just checked wise foods inc., and they are out of 95% of their foods, no matter what it is. Talk about panic buying!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:13 pm

Well the flip side is craigs list and other neighborhood pages may have fire sales, for the unused products, when this is all done.

ReadyMom
ReadyMom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:16 am

Home Food Preservation – 10 Ways to Preserve Food at Home
https://commonsensehome.com/home-food-preservation/

Comparing the Different Ways to Preserve Foods- Freeze-Dried, Dehydrated, MRE, Food Bars... Home-food-preservation-methods-1   There's never better a better time to learn how to safely preserve food at home. Home food preservation helps you stock up and save money, whether you're growing your own food or buying in bulk. It adds variety to meals, and the flavor of home preserved foods can knock the socks off of most commercial offerings. You control what's in your food.

This post will give you an overview of different home food preservation methods, so you can decide which options work best for you.  ---CONTINUED---

ReadyMom
ReadyMom
Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:46 am

10 Ways to Preserve Meat Without a Fridge or Freezer
https://urbansurvivalsite.com/ways-preserve-meat/

Comparing the Different Ways to Preserve Foods- Freeze-Dried, Dehydrated, MRE, Food Bars... 10-ways-to-preserve-meat-without-a-fridge-or-freezer-pin-1   (SNIP) ... Many preppers love to eat meat, but unfortunately, they have a tendency to only store it in the fridge or freezer. What are they going to do for meat if the power grid goes down and the refrigerator no longer works?

The good news is, there are more ways to store meat that most people realize. In this article, we’ll take a look at ten ways to preserve meat without a fridge or freezer, divided into the five most common and the five least common. ---CONTINUED---

Arrow-Right  CROSS POSTED in:  Meats-General Info

ReadyMom
ReadyMom
Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:13 pm

ReadyMom wrote:10 Ways to Preserve Meat Without a Fridge or Freezer
https://urbansurvivalsite.com/ways-preserve-meat/

Comparing the Different Ways to Preserve Foods- Freeze-Dried, Dehydrated, MRE, Food Bars... 10-ways-to-preserve-meat-without-a-fridge-or-freezer-pin-1   (SNIP) ... Many preppers love to eat meat, but unfortunately, they have a tendency to only store it in the fridge or freezer. What are they going to do for meat if the power grid goes down and the refrigerator no longer works?

The good news is, there are more ways to store meat that most people realize. In this article, we’ll take a look at ten ways to preserve meat without a fridge or freezer, divided into the five most common and the five least common. ---CONTINUED---

Arrow-Right  CROSS POSTED in:  Meats-General Info

We tried canning chicken and chuck roast and it came out great... The chicken is good in about anything you want to add it to and the chuck roast looks like crap but has a great taste

Dave58

ReadyMom and rick1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:37 am

Freeze-Dried vs Dehydrated Food
https://livingprepared.blogspot.com/2018/06/freeze-dried-vs-dehydrated-food.html

A quick review of what they are and what’s the difference?
Dehydration:

Removes about 90-95 percent of the moisture content.
Freeze-Drying:
Removes about 98-99 percent of the moisture content.   ---CONTINUED ---

ReadyMom
ReadyMom
Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:26 am

Interesting on how many ways to preserve eggs, 30 ways, unbelievable, from practicalselfreliance.com:

https://practicalselfreliance.com/ways-to-preserve-eggs/

ReadyMom likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down