Dave58
justme_noname
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Midwest flooding and food supplies Empty Midwest flooding and food supplies

Post by justme_noname Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:24 am

Howdy,

I've read a few articles and such on the midwest flooding. In them they mentioned how this could affect the food supplies. Things grown up there includes corn, wheat, soybeans plus quite a few other crops. In one of the States, most corn is for ethanol and not ideal for eating but other States grow food type corns.

This is also affecting ranches that raise cows and pigs. I haven't seen a mention of chickens but they may be raised up there as well. According to one article, it could take a long time to get these ranches back to producing again. Some could be well over a year.

For those who like me, didn't give this much thought at first, if I recall correctly wheat is used to make flour, corn is well, corn but also makes corn meal. Soybeans is used to make vegetable oils among other things. Those are just a few of the crops that could be affected by this.

I bought some extra supplies today, like I do from time to time anyway. I concentrated on things that I thought could be affected by this. Has anyone else thought of this? What do others think about how this could affect food supplies?

justme_noname

Back to top Go down

Midwest flooding and food supplies Empty Re: Midwest flooding and food supplies

Post by Dave58 Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:55 am

Justme It would be worth sitting down and thinking about. We still buy flour and other things , but I never really gave it much thought until now.

Thanks for the heads up Thumbs Up-2

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:02 am

Just like you guys, I really never gave it much thought, but my wife did. She picked up 30 pounds of flour from dollar general, on sale for $1.50 for a 5 lb bag. Plus, I have wheat berries stored for long term.

As far as beef, I raise my own (black angus).

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:30 pm

If anything, wouldn't this just be one season and then things back on track? How long will it take to recover from something like this?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by justme_noname Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:30 pm

I don't watch the news a lot since I don't watch much paid TV anyway. While I had people mention the flood, and I certainly feel for the people up there, I hadn't thought about how it affects food supplies. I mention it because I figure there may be others who wouldn't either. If this post only helps a few people, it was worth it.

I think I should be OK for a while. I didn't stock up on flour to much since it won't last to long anyway. I did put it in a vacuum storage bag and then put that in the freezer. Figure that will stretch it out a little longer.

Glad to help. One of you may post something that catches my eye one day. Cool

justme_noname

Back to top Go down

Post by justme_noname Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:08 am

ReadyMom wrote:If anything, wouldn't this just be one season and then things back on track? How long will it take to recover from something like this?

Somehow I missed this post. From what I read, they should be starting to plant pretty soon. They don't think the flooding will be down and the farms dried out enough by that time so there may be no crops this year. I read in a few places that it could be a month or even two more months before the rivers start to drop. Keep in mind, they may have also lost equipment. Some farms may go out of business all together. So as far as crops go, they lost a lot of last years that was stored in silos. They may not be able to plant this year either. That is two years worth of crop already.

If some of the fields are heavily damaged, it could take months to get the soil back to something they can plant in. Sometimes river flooding destroys top soil and it takes years to get it back to something to plant in. Some may be more fortunate than others and be back to producing but others could take a long time or just give up and walk away.

As for cows. It takes a long time to rebuild a cattle ranch. I think cows remain pregnant for 10 months or so and they only have one calf every couple years I think. Us human folks can go faster than that. A woman who is healthy could produce a child every 12 to 13 months. Cows have to have more time between them than humans. That's my understanding anyway. If that is even close, a farm could be looking at several years and still not be back to full production. I've read where it could take 5, 6 or even more years to get back to pre-flood production.

Piggys. They reproduce pretty fast so they would likely recover a lot faster. Chickens likely would to IF any are raised up there. It is pretty cold in the winter so not sure if they have much if any chickens up there. Farm/ranch people with these would recover faster.

When one looks at this situation, recovery depends on what they were producing. Some can come back pretty quick but others are looking at a long time with minimal income at least. This of course will lead to a lot more Govt help which means that money will have to come from somewhere else. Then those it comes from will be upset and it's off to the races at that point. Either way, this could get interesting.

justme_noname

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:27 am

There's been a estimate of 3 billion dollars worth of damage so far from the midwest flooding and an estimated 1/3 of that is damage to crops and livestock, so my best guess is that it will affect us in the short term, maybe. There is more rain and more snowmelt expected for the next 2 to 4 weeks in the midwest. Not only food is affected, gasoline prices will be affected also:

https://newfoodeconomy.org/nebraska-south-dakota-wisconsin-flooding-historic-loss-farmers-emergency/

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:12 am

I wonder if other farming parts of the country will supplement the food chain. Midwest's loss will be their gain for grain production, dairy, etc. I know we have a surplus, in a good year. But that's not going to stop prices soaring, using the flood as an excuse to do so.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by justme_noname Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:40 pm

ReadyMom wrote:I wonder if other farming parts of the country will supplement the food chain. Midwest's loss will be their gain for grain production, dairy, etc. I know we have a surplus, in a good year. But that's not going to stop prices soaring, using the flood as an excuse to do so.

I'm sure some will. Still tho, if they miss their planting time this year, that will still be a lot of crops that won't be produced. What makes it so bad, is the loss of what was stored in silos. That's just a double wammy in my mind.

I believe to that if they can, they will raise prices and use the flood as a excuse if nothing else.

justme_noname

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:39 am

Good article on the midwest flooding, NOAA says flooding won't end, expected to continue through May:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/21/us/floods-nebraska-iowa-agriculture-farm-loss/index.html

Another article on the future raising price of food and a severe supply disruption from the flooding:

https://news.syr.edu/blog/2019/03/22/catastrophic-crop-cattle-loss-from-midwest-floods-will-soon-lead-to-severe-supply-disruption/

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:35 pm

“As Many As A Million Calves Lost In Nebraska” – Beef Prices In The U.S. To Escalate Dramatically In The Coming Months
http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/as-many-as-a-million-calves-lost-in-nebraska-beef-prices-in-the-u-s-to-escalate-dramatically-in-the-coming-months?fbclid=IwAR02WpbZMnMxLrezpo4nXyJIrsUZHOEMXUTTNZgeaSsFynF73037cmbnGWs

(SNIP) ...According to Agriculture Secretary Sunny Purdue, there “may be as many as a million calves lost in Nebraska” due to the catastrophic flooding that has hit the state. This is not a rumor, this is not an exaggeration, and this is not based on any sort of speculation. This number comes to us directly from the top agriculture official in the entire country, and it means that the economic toll from the recent floods is far greater than most of us had anticipated.

(SNIP) ... In the short-term, food prices will not rise too dramatically because the stores are selling the food that has already been produced. But as the months roll along, you will start to notice food prices steadily increase. Millions of bushels of wheat, corn and soybeans have been destroyed by the flooding so far, and thousands of farmers will not be able to plant crops at all this year. And the livestock losses that we have already experienced will be felt for many years to come.

Beef will never be lower in price than it is right now. So if you are a beef lover, you may want to stock up.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:33 pm

That's sad that prices are going to rocket. I know a lot of people that are just making ends meet now and even gas prices have gone up in my area 35 cents a gallon the past 3 or 4 weeks.

I, like some, don't worry about beef/chicken prices, I raise my own. The only thing is I normally sell 2 or 3 beef a year, depending on how many caves I have. I just may hold off this year on selling any, but I have until fall to decide, that's when I sell mine.

They say many farmers aren't going to make through this, that they may go belly up, that's even sadder. CryingTears

I forgot to add this:

https://news.syr.edu/blog/2019/03/22/catastrophic-crop-cattle-loss-from-midwest-floods-will-soon-lead-to-severe-supply-disruption/

Back to top Go down

Post by justme_noname Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:15 pm

Yea, I'm disabled myself. Still I got two freezers with a lot of meat in it. I just lost my Mom, she died Tuesday, so I had planned for two to help eat it. Still, I have a lot of food to make it through rough times.

I been prepping for a good while. It's slow but I've stocked up a lot. That will help get me through this I'm sure.

I just bought a cast iron Dutch oven and am working on getting it ready to cook. I plan to buy one for placing coals on top next. Once that is done, I can cook with no power as well.

The biggest thing, I wanted to mention this because I hadn't thought about the disruption in the food supply myself. I figured others would be the same way.

justme_noname

Back to top Go down

Post by oldasrocks Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:50 pm

Ground that has been underwater for anytime becomes worthless. All the nutrients leach out. I learned this the hard way.

It will be years before the farmland that is underwater will produce anything.
oldasrocks
oldasrocks

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:47 pm

A million wells are threatened by the flood waters in the midwest:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/27/health/flooding-threatens-one-million-wells/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:05 pm

justme_noname wrote:Yea, I'm disabled myself.  Still I got two freezers with a lot of meat in it.  I just lost my Mom, she died Tuesday, so I had planned for two to help eat it.   ...   

Oh justme ... so sorry to read this about your Mom!
Midwest flooding and food supplies 4caef0e613ccf2631aab9b3293417775

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:54 am

justme_noname, I'm sorry for the loss of your Mom.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:31 pm

justme_noname

I'm sorry for your loss

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by jimLE Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:32 pm

first sorry about your mom justme noname.mymom passed away august 2017.so i know your going through some rough/sad times.

I've been keeping up with the flooding crops n livestock since i 1st heard about it.i figure a good/great deal of that water is gonna head down stream untill whats left reachs the gulf.the reas will be in flooded areas.pluss there's rain in the forecast between the mid west and the gulf.then there's the snow melt that'll add to it.i don't know if this has anything to do with the flooding or not.but gas price is already up 30 to 40 cent's. a gallon here.i'll be making my monthly shopping trip this Saturday. so i'll be stocking up more on meat then anything else..i also need more canning jars so i can do more canning..
jimLE
jimLE

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:46 am

A second "bomb cyclone" has hit the midwest again, 24" plus in snow. They're still flooded out from the last bomb cyclone.

Food and gas prices are going to be sky high this summer. Gas has jumped 45 cents in my area in the last 3 weeks, now $3.05/gallon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:30 pm

Gas went from $2.29 a gallon last week to $2.59 a gallon today. .Shocked

We're supposed to have a freak storm rolling through, possibly with snow. The trees and flowers are already starting to bloom! EEK!

The cars are all gassed up. Husband has spare gas in our cans.

Food in the cupboards, lanterns are full, gennie is ready to go.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:39 am

The midwest looks like it's going to get pounded again over the next couple of days, see the weather map from noaa. Go to bottom of page and click on day two to see how it's moving eastward:

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:23 am

We got hammered last night from a thunderstorm, but all is well on the homestead. Today is overcast, a little misty, but it looks as though most of the damaging storms moved on.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by jimLE Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:01 am

we got hammered by 2 tornadoes last Saturday. I've been taking some advantage of the donations of food.water and other items. to build up my stocks of items.. i even got 2 lil flashlights for 2 diff women on account i new that they didn't have one.
jimLE
jimLE

Back to top Go down

Post by jimLE Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:54 am

Homes are surrounded by floodwater on March 20, in Hamburg, Iowa, following a massive storm. NOAA forecast this week that flooding in the central US is going to get worse through May. Scott Olson/Getty Images
Rivers continue to rise in several Midwestern states as snow from the “bomb cyclone” melts and new rainstorms bring more precipitation on an already soaked region.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en-US&ie=UTF-8&source=android-browser&q=midwest+flooding&gws_rd=ssl#gws_rd=ssl&scso=_SQe_XI-NE4TatAWlkYXoBQ12:1167,_SQe_XI-NE4TatAWlkYXoBQ11:0

expect the worst. Hope for the best. And capitalize on each situation the best you can..

“Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an example unto you to follow us. For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat. For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies.”
jimLE
jimLE

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Wed May 01, 2019 7:47 am

Midwest farmers getting pounded again yesterday and today. Many are hanging it up.

Here's an article from mid April:

https://meaww.com/record-flooding-has-destroyed-midwest-farming-industry-with-no-us-disaster-aid-for-destroyed-crops

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:11 pm

The last 12 months of moisture in the U.S. is the highest in recorded history and more to come. Only 58% of corn has been planted compared to the 90% of the average of the last 5 years:

https://thinkprogress.org/flood-arkansas-mississippi-oklahoma-climate-ef9fb99e9ef6/

Crops ruined, livestock dead and some farmers are going belly up:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/21/us/floods-nebraska-iowa-agriculture-farm-loss/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:40 am

I live by a lake on a ridge...it is so full that it is many feet above the last flood back 30 years ago or so. The water is lapping at the bottom of the bridges I have to cross to get to town. Normally, the water is 20-30 feet below the bottoms of the bridges. There are places by small creeks that are now large lakes/ponds - that much water's never been there before.

This is a tourist area with lots of campgrounds. ALL the campgrounds and marinas around me are closed and many are under water.

I expect not only the farmers around me going belly-up, but some of the campgrounds and marinas will, also. The water damage will take months to repair, and since this is also a retirement area, with mostly service industry, the few construction people in the area will be swamped with repairs...if the places are able to afford them.

It is not the devastation that is surprising, it is the massive scale of it. Within a hundred mile radius of where I live, I expect some areas to never recover. The people who live in some of these flooded small towns are old and I expect starting over is not an option.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:58 pm

The scale of any one flooded area isn't the issue either. I have seen regional floods, but this time it looks like we have a disaster that has spread across most of the 48 contiguous states.

I haven't really seen much impact on food prices, but I think we will see a lot more, beginning this winter, when the farmer start harvesting what is left of their crops.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:55 am

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:37 pm

That page won't open for those of us who are not on Facebook.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:25 pm

I'm sorry it wouldn't open for you

It showed a sign saying temporarily out of stock as far as corn ,green beans and carrots... The store was in Florida. i don't know how true it is , but the comments people wrote was interesting to say the least.. Everything from flood to global warming to politics, even blaming the farmers for not planting.. People are amazing

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:48 am

Just left our home town Wal-Mart and they now have signs saying that they are sorry they are temporarily out of canned veggies.. just wanted to give a heads up

One other thing i didn't see any canning lids or even a spot for them

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by jimLE Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:16 pm

guess thats a limited situation.i did my primary shopping yesterday at a walmart 30 miles away.and their well stocked on everything they carry..i even got me some cheese cloth.

expect the worst. Hope for the best. And capitalize on each situation the best you can..

“Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an example unto you to follow us. For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat. For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies.”
jimLE
jimLE

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:41 pm

I saw some of the same signs here in N. Arkansas.

I check wholesale prices weekly, and haven't seen any radical movement, but I suspect there is some stocking up going on, by people who are just aware enough to know that shortages could easily manifest themselves this fall or winter.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:25 pm

I didn't even make it 24 hours after writing the above, and ran across this article, saying that green beans, limes and onions were going to have some supply issues due to weather.

https://www.usfoods.com/content/dam/usf/pdf/farmers_report/FarmersReport.pdf

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:00 am

My wife talked to her mom this morning it seems that her mom was shocked to see that the store didn't have any corn meal on the shelf. We have been trying to tell her to stock up a little bit but she is one of those " I won't buy it until I need it" type of people. I reckon its a good thing we have a little bit extra..

If we have another bad growing season next year some things will really be hard to find

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by jimLE Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:59 am

thanks for that post dave..
i have 3 to 4 LB's left of a 10LB bag of flour.2-5LB.bags of flour.2-5LB.bags of cornmeal and part of one.i just added both to my next months primary shopping trip.i just hope that both are there.oh yeah.i also have some of each in quart jars.dry canned both.

jimLE
jimLE

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:11 pm

Dave58 wrote:My wife talked to her mom this morning it seems that her mom was shocked to see that the store didn't have any corn meal on the shelf. We have been trying to tell her to stock up a little bit but she is one of those " I won't buy it until I need it" type of people. I reckon its a good thing we have a little bit extra..

If we have another bad growing season next year some things will really be hard to find
Most of my family thinks I am a bit crazy for stocking up like I do,
but my wife came around, bit by bit, over the past half dozen years.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:36 pm

My wife has always been good up to a point so I took her to a store when they were predicting a winter storm and showed her how the adults acting.. Boxes in the floors grabbing stuff just to be grabbing it would have been pretty funny if it hadn't been so sad if you know what I mean....

We have been road tripping on the week-ends just to look at other stores in different towns and its about the same everywhere.. I have even heard people say that the owners were holding back just so they could raise the prices. Sad Sad

Best advice if its on sale and its what you eat at home you should buy extra....

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:14 pm

Dave58 wrote:My wife has always been good up to a point so I took her to a store when they were predicting a winter storm and showed her how the adults acting.. Boxes in the floors grabbing stuff just to be grabbing it would have been pretty funny if it hadn't been so sad if you know what I mean....

Best advice if its on sale and its what you eat at home you should buy extra....
John Stossel wrote a proof that price gouging is good, based on that behavior pattern.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:00 pm

I plan another round of updates on this thread over the next two weeks or so. (There is a reason for that timeline.)

There are two other threads related to this subject:
https://emergencyhomeprep.forumotion.com/t988-pig-swine-virus
https://emergencyhomeprep.forumotion.com/t1009-weather-affecting-food-prices-in-2019
(I started that one, because I didn't know about this one)

In about two weeks, there will be a major report on worldwide food production and stockpiles (and that is the reason for the timeline). After that report comes out, we will know a lot more about how things will go this winter and next spring.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:55 pm

TRex2 wrote:I
https://emergencyhomeprep.forumotion.com/t1009-weather-affecting-food-prices-in-2019
(I started that one, because I didn't know about this one)

Do you want me to combine them? I think we're fine with the two .... one is general and one is specifically about that midwest situation.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:22 am

I don't know what would be the best strategy, since I plan to expand the topic to include some stuff from around the world. Reason being that imports and exports will affect price, and maybe availability of food on our shelves.

There is an ongoing project to try to evaluate how badly the crops were damages by weather.
https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/road-trip-in-us-might-affect-your-grain-price/
Over 100 scouts are currently travelling in the midwest region of the US. Along the route they stop every 15 to 20 miles and sample corn fields; the routes are pre-determined. On the first day scouts sampled in Ohio and South Dakota, while also taking in some of Indiana and Nebraska.

But we have record amounts of excess soybeans that we didn't sell to China.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-soybean-crop-china-trade-war-20181127-story.html
American farmers still working to get out their remaining soybeans after a weather-plagued harvest season are struggling to figure out what to do with a record crop now their traditionally dominant export market is largely closed.

Usually by this point in the year, 100-car trains filled with North Dakota soybeans would be moving to ports on the West Coast destined for China. But this year is different, after China all but stopped buying U.S. soybeans in response to President Donald Trump's trade tariffs.

Last edited by TRex2 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:29 am

China's plan to undermine our soybean market by massively expanding their own has hit a couple snags.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/08/voracious-pest-threatens-chinas-crops-could-boost-need-for-imports.html
A crop-eating pest first detected in China about five months ago is spreading rapidly and could hurt production of key crops critical to the populous nation’s food supply, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Damage from the so-called fall armyworm, which gorges on corn, soybeans, cotton, rice, and dozens of other crops, could force China to import more corn, rice or soy to makeup for the shortfall.
China is already dealing with a livestock crisis involving pork, one of its primary protein sources, putting Beijing is under greater pressure to respond to the armyworm.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Trade-war/China-s-soybean-production-push-withers-as-subsidies-dry-up2
DALIAN, China -- China's goal to increase soybean production to offset plunging imports from the U.S. is not going according to plan.

Beijing wants to increase soybean production 20% by 2020 over 2018 levels, as tariffs on American soybeans caused U.S. imports to fall 70%. But government subsidies aimed at encouraging growers to switch to soybeans have dried up, leaving farmers dismayed at what they see as broken promises.

"I don't trust the government because its support programs frequently change," said a farmer in his 30s in China's soybean capital of Heilongjiang Province, where 40% of the nation's soybeans are grown.

The grower had allotted 10% of his land to soybeans on the promise by the local government in February of a 150 yuan ($21.80) subsidy for every 667 sq. meters of land converted to soybeans. But the agriculture ministry suddenly nixed the subsidy in March, throwing the farmer's finances into disarray as he had already purchased seed and fertilizer for his new crop.

Soybeans are crucial to feeding the country. They are processed into bean curd, cooking oil and other food products, and the pomace is an important livestock feed.

The government was hopeful that a new seed -- developed under a $4.6 million grant -- would increase yields. According to its creator, the Research Institute of Soybean, the new variety doubles yields.

"The new seed will allow China to weather the trade war," said Cao Jujin, head of the institute, in reference to overcoming the dearth of American soybeans.

China is the world's biggest consumer of soybeans at 100 million tons per year, but relies on imports for 90% of this figure.

Brazil is the country's largest soybean supplier followed by the U.S. But Beijing slapped a 25% tariff on American beans in July 2018, causing imports from the U.S. to tumble 70% in the January-April period from a year earlier.

Although China increased purchases from Brazil, total soybean imports decreased 8% in 2018 from the previous year to 88 million tons.

To make up for the shortfall, Beijing announced plans to expand soybean farmland about 10% by 2020, which would bring soybean production to 19 million tons -- an increase of 20% from 2018.

...government miscues and simple economics have cooled farmers' response to any new plan. Soybean yield is only about 30% that of corn, meaning that only large-scale farms can earn profits.

"I have no intention of cultivating soybeans whatever the government says, because I can earn more from corn," said a 57-year-old Heilongjiang farmer.

According to sources, fiscal concerns at the national level forced the ministry to cancel some subsidies. The 2019 budget includes 45.2 billion yuan for the agricultural, forestry and fisheries sector, down 24% from 2018.
The fiscal fallout from the trade war with the US has left them unable to subsidize their soybean crops.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:25 pm

Beef prices are not expected to go up anytime soon.

I hope President XI is the first to get food poisoning from whatever they grow. Shocked

https://www.expressnews.com/business/local/article/Beef-prices-not-expected-to-jump-because-Midwest-14028289.php

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:42 pm

rick1 wrote:Beef prices are not expected to go up anytime soon.

I hope President XI is the first to get food poisoning from whatever they grow. Shocked

https://www.expressnews.com/business/local/article/Beef-prices-not-expected-to-jump-because-Midwest-14028289.php
As that article says, there is ample feed corn for several weeks or a few months, and in fact, culling of herds may actually reduce prices of beef this winter.

I am still gathering info on other crops.
Hope to have a complete picture by Sept 6th.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:36 am

I got distracted from this by stuff happening in life. Here are some of the situations around the world.

Bottom Line First.
The food situation is not very bad, except in Socialist Countries where their stupid political moves have made it bad.

China's Pork Production slammed hard by African Swine Fever
The Economist - Print edition -| China
May 25th 2019| BEIJING
While the Chinese zodiac celebrates the year of the pig, for the Earth-bound variety it is a terrible time. African swine fever, harmless to humans but fatal to porkers, has spread across the country. Hong Kong’s first case was reported on May 17th. The epidemic has affected colossal numbers of pigs, pushing up pork prices steeply. It has walloped the tens of millions of Chinese who depend on pig-rearing for their livelihood. There is no effective vaccine. Experts say that it may take years for China to control the disease.

African swine fever is so named because the first known case was detected in Africa over a century ago. The virus spreads easily between pigs, which can also catch it from ticks, contact with contaminated surfaces or by eating infected food (cheap animal feed in China often contains pork). It causes haemorrhaging and often kills in less than a week. The death rate is at least 90%. Since 2016 outbreaks have occurred across Europe and Asia. But nowhere have they been more devastating than in China, which at least until recently was home to half of the world’s pigs.

Could have impact across Europe
One of my more shocking journalistic journeys was made in the mid-1980s, visiting a nondescript factory in the heart of Chongqing. I had asked to explore China’s farming industry, but the ministry of foreign affairs had some difficulties in getting me near an actual farm. Instead, this factory processed all of Sichuan’s pig intestines – 300 million a year.
I watched mountains of recently warm intestines stretched along clean metal tables, while one end of each intestine was plugged to a tap in the wall. After their inside walls had been flushed clean, the intestines were wrapped into tidy bundles of 12, put into huge ceramic jars, generously salted and then taken down into underground storage.
From September, when the weather began to cool, the jars would be brought out of cellarage and loaded onto barges down to Wuhan. From there, the jars took the train to Beijing and then the trans-Siberian railway across to Europe. The bosses told me this single factory supplied the great majority of Europe’s sausage casings.
So news that African Swine Fever has swept into China is a big deal, with massive ramifications not just for millions of Chinese pig farmers and the world’s largest consumer market for pork meat, but for industries across the world, whether it is German sausage makers, or Iowan soybean exporters.
The scale of China’s pork crisis is unclear. Most agree it arrived in Liaoning in the north in August last year, perhaps from Russia or Eastern Europe. Routine Chinese official paranoia about admitting a problem or being honest about the details means that it is uncertain, eight months later, just how far the swine fever has spread.
Could Impact other products such as Beef or Chicken
The entire article is interesting, although long and involved.

All of these articles are from a few months ago, and the intractability of the Chinese government has worked to provide extra food for us, and is likely to result in starvation for the Chinese people. The only downside is that we will not get as much revenue from the sale of our farm products to the Chinese.

More to come.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:48 am

Impact of African Swine Fever could will last for years.

Swine fever to hit pork market for years to come[url]
JUNE 4, 2019 by Jenny Vaughan
Millions of pigs have been culled as African Swine Fever cuts through China and beyond, devastating global food chains, with pork prices expected to soar from the food markets of Hong Kong to American dinner tables.
Outbreaks have been reported in Vietnam, Mongolia, Cambodia, Hong Kong and China – the world’s biggest pork producer and consumer.
Experts warn it could take years to contain the hog-killing virus given the differing biosecurity standards on commercial pig farms and backyard smallholdings across Asia.
Checkpoints, sniffer dogs and strict import bans have been deployed in a desperate bid to control its spread.
[url=https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/african-swine-fever-china-opens-emergency-pork-before-holiday-pig-out-20190909-p52pif.html]African swine fever: China opens emergency pork before holiday pig-out
By Kirsty Needham September 9, 2019
Beijing: Regulators have moved to release thousands of tons of China's emergency pork reserves as an outbreak of African swine fever fuels fears of a shortage in the pork-hungry nation.

China's hog herds made up half the global pig population until the outbreak, which has hit 32 provinces in the past 12 months. With a third of China's pigs culled, pork prices are soaring.

The problem is compounded by the looming major public holiday season of Mid-Autumn Festival and National Day, where families expect to gather and eat meat. Eating pork is so central to Chinese culture that the 3000 year old Chinese character for "home" was drawn as a pig under a roof.
Note that they are doing this as a way to keep people happy, not because of any real emergency, and once their "emergency reserves are gone, they are gone. There will be no way to restock them. They are now turning an inconvenience into a long term (many years) disaster.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:05 am

Meanwhile in Argentina:
Reuters Business News
AUGUST 28, 2019
Steak-crazy Argentines keep buying beef even after peso crash inflates prices
Hugh Bronstein, Marina Lammertyn
BUENOS AIRES (Reuters) - Times are hard in recession-hit Argentina and the peso currency’s latest crash has jolted food prices higher.

But in a country where eating beef is considered more a right than a luxury, people are stretching their budgets to keep buying steak while butcher shops see profit margins shrink.

Social life revolves around weekend barbecues for Argentines, rich and poor. The cherished image of the gaucho cowboy, wandering the pampas on horseback and dining on top quality steak around the fire, is as much a part of the nation’s identity as the tango, Evita Peron, and financial crises.

The latest economic setback occurred earlier this month when a landslide victory for the populist opposition in an Aug. 11 primary vote sparked a run on the peso and hobbled business-friendly President Mauricio Macri’s campaign to win a second term in October’s presidential election.

And Brazil.
China clears 25 Brazil meat plants for export
Reuters COMMODITIES SEPTEMBER 9, 2019
China clears 25 Brazil meat plants for export, lifting shares
Jamie McGeever, Jake Spring, Ana Mano

BRASILIA/SAO PAULO (Reuters) - China granted export licenses to 25 Brazilian meatpacking plants, Brazil’s Agriculture Ministry said on Monday, allowing the country’s fast-growing protein industry to feed more people in the Asian nation where disease has hurt local supply.
Brazil’s Agriculture Ministry said the plants - including 17 for beef exports, six for chicken, and one each for pork and donkey meat - “can already export immediately.”

China is Brazil’s largest export market for beef, chicken and pork, with demand surging since last year as an African swine fever outbreak has decimated China’s pig herds.

Brazilian pork exports to China soared 48% in the first eight months of the year, according to Brazil government statistics, while beef exports to China are up 17% and chicken exports rose soared 37%.
One problem with this, in the long term, the trade war with the US means that China can no longer pay for this beef.
They will buy on credit ...
until no one will loan them the money.

https://www2.deloitte.com/us/en/insights/economy/asia-pacific/china-economic-outlook.html
Even as the United States labeled China a “currency manipulator” on the back of a weakening renminbi, recent trade talks were reported to be “constructive.” This offers hope of a truce in the trade war but tit-for-tat moves by either party can’t be ruled out.

THE US Federal Reserve’s dovish stance is a respite to most emerging markets including China, but the People’s Bank of China’s (PBOC) move to bring the renminbi (RMB) below 7.0 per US dollar—a key psychological threshold—may have profound global implications. It is arguably sensible for China to rely on the renminbi exchange rate as a monetary lever at a time when the movement of short-term interest rates could become constrained by the zero lower bound, due to the continued process of interest rate liberalization in the country. Of course, should the US-China trade war drag on and escalate with tit-for-tat moves from both sides, it would also be logical for China to unveil measures that could offset higher tariffs. In the long run, a truce in the trade war is needed so that wounded investment sentiment can gradually heal.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2019/08/13/is_china_about_to_cause_the_next_asian_economic_crisis_140996.html
Last week, the Chinese yuan depreciated further and broke through the very closely watched level of seven yuan per dollar. This depreciation sent global equity markets into a tailspin, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average declining almost 3%.

Many market economists view the Chinese currency breach of the long-held seven-yuan level as a sign that trade negotiations with the U.S. are going poorly, resulting in the global markets selling off.

However, it may be a sign of a much more troubling problem. China has some issues eerily similar to what other Asian countries had just prior to the 1997 Asian financial crisis. That event two decades ago has been analyzed in great detail. It was triggered by a debt default of two companies: Somprasong Land (a major Thai property developer) and Finance One (one of Thailand’s largest finance companies). Currency traders began to short the Thai currency, and eventually it broke its peg to the U.S. dollar, resulting in a 40% collapse in value. This steep drop made paying back dollar-denominated loans impossible. Currency weakness spread to South Korea, Indonesia, Malaysia, and the Philippines. All their currencies declined dramatically --between 34% and 83% against the dollar. Equity markets around the world, including the U.S., experienced significant declines.

While the trigger was a debt default as financial conditions shifted, the underlying factors had long been in place – these were export-driven economies that had close government co-operation with preferred manufacturers, subsidies, favorable financial deals, massive debt-financed growth and a currency pegged to the U.S dollar. Sound familiar?

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next