Hurricanes-General Info

Go down

Hurricanes-General Info Empty Hurricanes-General Info

Post by ReadyMom Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:32 am

Fact Sheet - PDF Version
http://www.fema.gov/pdf/hazard/hurricane/2010/hurricane_week_preparedness_factsheet_ready.pdf

Fact Sheet
HURRICANES

Hurricanes are violent storms which can bring in tense winds, heavy rain, a storm surge, floods, coastal erosion, landslides, and tornadoes. While it is difficult to predict the exact time, place, and force of hurricanes, residents of the Atlantic and
Gulf Coast states must be prepared. The season for hurricanes runs from June through November, with most hurricanes occurring mid-August to late October. Each season, on average, six hurricanes form in the Atlantic Ocean of which two
become major hurricanes. --- CONTINUED at LINK, above --- (3 page PDF)

Includes:

• Know Your Risk and What To Do    
  • Prepare Your Home Before the Storm   
  • As the Storm Approaches   
  • Evacuate if you:    
  • If You Are Told to Evacuate:    
  • If You Cannot Evacuate and Are Staying In Your Home:   
  • Immediately After the Storm    
  • Be Prepared to    
  • The Recovery Process

Last edited by ReadyMom on Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Hurricanes-General Info Empty Re: Hurricanes-General Info

Post by ReadyMom Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:05 am

How to Survive a Hurricane: A Complete Hurricane Preparedness Guid
https://rethinksurvival.com/how-to-survive-a-hurricane-a-complete-hurricane-preparedness-guide/

Hurricanes-General Info Hurricane-survival Hurricanes are violent. They can bring a handful of serious and dangerous hazards- from storm surge, high winds, heavy rains, and even tornadoes. If you and your family aren’t prepared, you’re risking your safety.

As a guide, here are the following steps you can take to ensure your family’s safety. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:06 pm

Preparing for a Hurricane
https://www.thereadystore.com/survival-tips/11567/preparing-for-a-hurricane/

Hurricanes-General Info Before-storm   Hurricanes are a common occurrence along the coastlines of the United States each year. Some years have more hurricanes than normal, some years have less. And some years have can have strong, powerful storms that cause a lot of damage. You never know what the hurricane season will hold, so it is best to know what to do in the case of a hurricane, record breaking storm or not.   ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:56 am

What to Get Ready for a Hurricane – Printable Hurricane Prep Checklist
https://commonsensehome.com/hurricane-prep-checklist/

Hurricanes-General Info Hurricane-prep-checklist    (SNIP) ... If the governor issues a mandatory evacuation, they will send military personal door to door asking for your personal information and next of kin if you choose to stay. They will also turn off your water and electrical supply as the storm begins to make its way onshore. Emergency Personal are not allowed to go out in 60 mph or above winds. If you decide not to evacuate, you will not receive any help until the winds subside.  

The following is a list of items that we are preparing for the hurricane.   ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:03 pm

Printable Tip sheet here, by the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association)

Hurricanes
https://www.nfpa.org/-/media/Files/Public-Education/Resources/Community-tool-kits/Get-Ready/fact/e/hurricanes.ashx

Hurricanes-General Info Images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSMgYYDTcuqZBgte3fVqm8I2iliOYgyInq7erFTRsZq2fLWcAHD&usqp=CAU

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:35 am

How to Stay Safe During a Hurricane
https://lifehacker.com/how-to-stay-safe-during-a-hurricane-1798391969

Hurricanes-General Info Ocxc2r9fpipbvvnexqmu Hurricane Harvey is careening through the Gulf of Mexico and planning to make landfall in Texas. It might even be the first category 3 hurricane to hit that part of the U.S. in nearly 12 years. Here’s what you need to know to stay safe during the storm. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:27 pm

The Crossroads Of The Atlantic Storm Season # 4590
http://afludiary.blogspot.com/2010/05/crossroads-of-atlantic-storm-season.html

Hurricanes-General Info Image%5B36%5D   Today is the first day of 2010’s National Hurricane Preparedness Week, with the emphasis on hurricane basics and history of these often devastating storms.

Hurricane activity in the Atlantic is cyclical, and as a boy growing up in Florida I caught the tail end of the last upswing in tropical activity.

We’ve a very neat tool from the NOAA Coastal Services Center that allows you to input your zip code, storm types, year ranges, and distances to produce storm tracks that have affected your area.   ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:29 pm

Why I’ll Be Gone With The Wind
https://afludiary.blogspot.com/2010/05/why-ill-be-gone-with-wind.html

Hurricanes-General Info Image_thumb%5B5%5D   While storm surge is the greatest concern to those living in low-lying coastal areas, hurricane force winds can extend a hundred miles or more inland during a landfalling hurricane. Often hurricanes spin off tornadoes when they come ashore as well.   ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:36 pm

Hurricanes
http://www.ready.gov/hurricanes

Hurricanes are dangerous and can cause major damage because of storm surge, wind damage, and flooding. They can happen along any U.S. coast or in any territory in the Atlantic or Pacific oceans. Storm surge is historically the leading cause of hurricane-related deaths in the United States.   --- CONTINUED ---

Includes:

Prepare for Hurricanes
Stay Safe During a Hurricane
Returning Home After a Hurricane

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:47 pm

Hurricane Survival: Before, During and After
https://survivallife.com/hurricane-survival-tips/

Hurricanes-General Info Hurricane-Survival-Tips-feature  If hurricane survival is your goal, then preparedness is the solution. Being prepared is the most effective way to increase your chances of surviving natural disasters. We all know the destructive power of hurricanes, with the storm surges and flooding as well as the turbulent winds.

Includes:
Hurricane Survival Tips: How to Survive Natural Disasters

BEFORE A HURRICANE
       1. Prepare
       2. Know your surroundings.
       3. Cover all of your home’s windows.
       4. Water
       5. Food
       6. Have a family communication plan ...
       7. Turn your refrigerator and freezer to ...
       8. Trim ...
       9. Make a list of ...
       10. Invest in ... (MORE at LINK)
   DURING A HURRICANE
       1. If a hurricane is likely ...
       2. You should evacuate ...
       3. Stay indoors during ...
   AFTER A HURRICANE
       1. Beware of heights.
       2. Watch your step.
       3. Portable Generators
       4. Electrical and Gas Safety