Weather affecting Food Prices in 2019

3 posters

Go down

Weather affecting Food Prices in 2019 Empty Weather affecting Food Prices in 2019

Post by TRex2 Fri May 31, 2019 5:56 am

Looks like the weather has finally gotten bad enough to begin affecting food prices. Until now, I haven't seen any articles from respectable sources discussing this,

https://agfax.com/2019/05/28/hubbs-on-grain-corn-price-strength-grows-on-supply-issues/

https://agfax.com/2019/05/30/dtn-grain-close-prices-higher-across-the-board/

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Weather affecting Food Prices in 2019 Empty Re: Weather affecting Food Prices in 2019

Post by rick1 Fri May 31, 2019 7:52 am

TRex, there's some posts under national news, midwest flooding, here on the EHP, that justmenoname had started. There's a few links there also. But, your links go a little more into detail since the flooding has been going on for 2 months now.

Back to top Go down

Weather affecting Food Prices in 2019 Empty Re: Weather affecting Food Prices in 2019

Post by dmwalsh568 Fri May 31, 2019 9:36 am

If grain prices are going up then I expect meat prices to follow suit shortly. And pork prices were already under pressure from the culling the Chinese are doing to try and get African swine fever under control in their herds.

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:09 am

rick1 wrote:TRex, there's some posts under national news, midwest flooding, here on the EHP, that justmenoname had started. There's a few links there also. But, your links go a little more into detail since the flooding has been going on for 2 months now.
OK, I had missed what he posted.

If grain prices are going up then I expect meat prices to follow suit shortly. And pork prices were already under pressure from the culling the Chinese are doing to try and get African swine fever under control in their herds.
I watch the markets on about a monthly basis, and I know about the ASF but hadn't noticed the price change yet. Maybe next time I check it, it will be visible on the reports I watch.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:28 am

TRex2 wrote:
I watch the markets on about a monthly basis, and I know about the ASF but hadn't noticed the price change yet. Maybe next time I check it, it will be visible on the reports I watch.

The culled pigs in China are safe for consumption, so in the short term prices are stable or even lower. But, once they clear the area of disease they will need to be importing more pigs than are available in the rest of the world or they will need to build up herds naturally, with a dramatic shortage of pork availability in China and hence pressure on the rest of the world's pork prices.

Things could get even uglier if China can't get a handle on ASF or if ASF manages to spread outside the region....

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum