Weather Proverbs

2 posters

Go down

Weather Proverbs Empty Weather Proverbs

Post by ReadyMom Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:44 pm

I had NO idea where to put this, but it was so good, I didn't want to loose it, so ... I'm popping it here.  

It's a lot of proverbs that some of us (older) folks might remember hearing, as we grew up. I really don't hear them anymore. If we don't have the TV, radio or internet, we might have to revert back to remembering these for an indication of what weather is ahead. Like I said ... too good NOT to share. (And I don't remember actually seeing it posted on any other forums!)

22 Old Weather Proverbs That Are Actually True
https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/22-old-weather-proverbs-that-are-actually-true/

(snip) To help with this task of predicting the weather, farmers, sailors, and amateur meteorologists of all kinds came up with handy, often rhyming proverbs that could guide their observations. They realized that animal behavior, wind direction, air pressure (which could be measured with a barometer), etc., were pretty accurate indicators of how the weather would behave.   ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Weather Proverbs Empty Re: Weather Proverbs

Post by rick1 Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:45 pm

Although it may not be a weather proverb, my grandfather use to say this about the weather:

1. When the leaves of oak and maple start to turn upside down, it's going to rain.
2. When catarpillers are dark brown or black, it's going to be a cold winter.
3. When squarills pick acorns prior to being ripe and falling from the oak tree, it's going to be a
   snowy winter.

Back to top Go down