DIRE NEED - DIY Masks for hospitals

3 posters

Go down

DIRE NEED - DIY Masks for hospitals Empty Re: DIRE NEED - DIY Masks for hospitals

Post by ReadyMom Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:28 pm

I have a sis-in-law who is a Professor of Respiratory Care, in Mass and will most likely be called into the hospital to work. She's got her 'go bag' at the ready.

AND .. our son is dating a Physicians Assistant who works in the Emergency Trauma Surgery dept at a Richmond hospital. Both will be in need of masks. Son's GF JUST finally was able to get hold of A MASK to wear! A.MASK. !!!

I think I'm going to be parting with some of my stored masks soon. I also bought some fabric, a couple of weeks ago, thinking I might need to be making them some as a last resort solution. Guess I'd better get sewing! Sad

Admin

Back to top Go down

DIRE NEED - DIY Masks for hospitals Empty Re: DIRE NEED - DIY Masks for hospitals

Post by Cinnamon Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:52 am

Ready-Mom:

My daughter and I are now making masks as fast as we can for my sister's nursing home. I started making them at my sister's request and found the first pattern. Since then, others have found the second pattern which has also been requested.

We are making extra and I'll be calling around to find out where to take them. I have rallied a couple more seamstresses in different areas to make masks too.

I am making them using cotton quilting fabric as the outer layer, and plain muslin as the inner layer. I am using every scrap of elastic and ribbon and ties that I have in my stash until I run out. According to the chart below - even the cotton 2-layer masks block at least 50%.

Face Mask Patterns:

Face Mask 1

Face Mask 2

My understanding is that 3M is retooling one of their factories to make masks but it will take a few weeks to get the changeover done. In the meantime many hospitals are out and will take whatever they they can.

Here is a chart showing what fabrics are best (if you have any of the sort in your stash).

Best Materials for DIY Face Mask
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

DIRE NEED - DIY Masks for hospitals Empty DIRE NEED - DIY Masks for hospitals

Post by Cinnamon Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:12 am

These popped up on my newsfeed - one is nationwide call, the others are from Oklahoma & Michigan (I have family there, they sent the articles on FB). Apparently, more hospitals are running out, if you choose to sew some masks, check your local hospital/nursing home first. They are also running out of hospital gowns, I will post a link to an easy-to-make one.

NYT Article

Stillwater Oklahoma

Michigan

FREE Face Mask & Hospital Gown Patterns:

Face Mask 1

Face Mask 2

Hospital Gown

Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:06 am

I can't find elastic anywhere, now to make masks. So after my stash is gone I'll be using ribbon or make fabric ties.
I did find a company on line that I've contacted and I've come right out and asked for a donation of elastic for the masks.

I got a text from my son's girlfriend, this morning stating that yesterday, they were told they had enough PPE but she was telling everyone to stash the masks they have and to start reusing bc soon there won’t be any.  And then this morning she woke up to this message:

***DO NOT THROW AWAY ANY MASKS OR FACE SHIELDS/EYE PROTECTION***  
This includes the OR.

Surprised  She can't believe this is happening within 24 hours!

She also said "the entire hospital is going to start recycling all PPE and disinfecting it. So all PPE goes into a receptacle after each use"

I told our son to give her the box/20 that I gave him. She comes first. I'll send him some more for himself, if he needs them. And I was also able to find someone who had another 20 to sell, so purchased them to send to her, as well. So, she'll get 40. I'm also sending her the CDC guidance on disinfection of N95's, so she can take care of her own, if needed.  

We're also sending her several pairs of eye goggles.  I worry for her.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:14 am

Here's another pattern you can use: (the nice thing about this mask is they can use it to put over an approved N95!)

https://www.instructables.com/id/AB-Mask-for-a-Nurse-by-a-Nurse/

Admin

Back to top Go down

DIRE NEED - DIY Masks for hospitals Empty masks-dire need

Post by ReadyMom Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:00 pm

Cinnamon: I forgot that I have a BAG full of old 100% cotton Tshirts, that I saved for crafts & dusters. I'm using them as LINERS (the inside piece) with my nicer/new fabric. Then when my new fabric is gone, I'll just be using up my Tshirts.    

ALSO: the ribbing on the T-shirt collars, sleeves and bottom hem can be used for ties!! They are already doubled for strength, just hem stitch around cut edge for finishing!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:19 pm

Good idea about old T-shirts, we have plenty.

I also saw this video today:

Paper Towel Mask

One could use 2 pieces of cloth sewn back to back rather than a paper towel, and use rubber bands or pony tail elastics for the ear pieces. Sew the elastics into the mask rather than stapling them.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:59 am

Nurses demand proper protective gear, not scarves — it's science
https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/489187-nurses-demand-proper-protective-gear-not-scarves-its-science

Imagine visiting a hospital for a broken ankle and leaving with COVID-19. This is a reality we may face if nurses and other health care workers don’t have the necessary protections to keep ourselves safe, let alone keep our patients safe. But corporate hospital employers and government agencies don’t seem to care.

Take the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), which purports to be in charge of the nation’s health. The CDC recently weakened its guidelines on infectious disease protections for health care workers to allow loose-fitting surgical masks instead of N-95 respirators. Last week, the CDC added that in a pinch, health care workers can make their own masks out of scarves or bandanas. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:55 am

Look at this! This is our local news station reporting on the Facebook group that I'm on, who are making masks & headbands for area medical facilities! There's even a photo tucked in the video of masks that I've made!  We've made over 1500 masks in ONE WEEK!

https://www.abc27.com/news/web-extras/web-exclusive-stitchers-corp-of-central-pennsylvania/

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:14 pm

ReadyMom,

I am now out of elastic, ribbon, ponytail ties, and even the quilt binding I was using for earpieces and ties. I started making ties - 2 inches by 16 inches, fold twice lengthwise and sew into a tie. Sew 4 onto each mask. Knot the free ends so it doesn't unravel in the wash.  

However, my daughter had an idea while rooting through my crocheting stuff.

Bernat Baby blanket yarn - the big, soft chenille type is working beautifully for ties.

Cut 30 inches for each channel, thread through, and then sew in the middle so the ties don't slip.

I took a picture for you to see what I mean - hope this works. Where my finger is pointing, is where you sew the tie down.

DIRE NEED - DIY Masks for hospitals Maskti10
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:14 pm

Easy peasy tie: Cut strips of old Tshirt. 1" wide. Pull to make a tube-stirp. Cut to desired length!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:21 pm

I plan to do that with the T-shirts last - I don't have as many as I thought.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:23 pm

ReadyMom wrote:Easy peasy tie: Cut strips of old Tshirt. 1" wide. Pull to make a tube-stirp. Cut to desired length!

Need a way to make sure the mask is tight and forms to the nose instead of leaving a little air pocket

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:14 pm

Dave58 wrote:
ReadyMom wrote:Easy peasy tie: Cut strips of old Tshirt. 1" wide. Pull to make a tube-stirp. Cut to desired length!

Need a way to make sure the mask is tight and forms to the nose instead of leaving a little air pocket
I've been using pipe cleaners sewen into the top seam. Here's a pic of all the masks I've done so far: DIRE NEED - DIY Masks for hospitals 91440599_10215777192679538_8297962418865176576_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=EtCEqvkZx7gAX-7Uc2q&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-2

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:22 pm

Ready Mom,

Not sure if anyone in your family is into shoes - Teiks Shoes is offering gift certificates to their store if you are making masks.
Here's the link to the offer:

https://tieks.com/sewtogether
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:20 pm

CBP to seize exports of coronavirus masks, gloves, PPE, to ensure US doesn't need them
https://www.foxnews.com/us/cbp-seize-exports-coronavirus-masks-gloves-ppe

Personal protective equipment (PPE) -- which is in short supply in hospitals across the country amid the coronavirus pandemic -- will be prevented from leaving the United States, the federal government said Wednesday.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) said it will prevent critical supplies such as respirators, surgical masks and surgical gloves from leaving the country while the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) determines whether to purchase the equipment, allow it to be exported or keep it for use in the U.S ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down