2021 - MAY Prep Tip Of The Day/Month

4 posters

Go down

2021 - MAY Prep Tip Of The Day/Month Empty 2021 - MAY Prep Tip Of The Day/Month

Post by Cinnamon Fri May 21, 2021 6:23 pm

Well, life changes fast! Sorry I didn't get the new thread opened on time!

3 weeks ago, my Dad had another heart incident and while talking to the doctor he confessed he couldn't take care of my Mom on his own anymore. He has a very severe heart condition and can only do so much daily. Mom had a stroke several years ago and while she is mobile, she needs some assistance because she also has moderate dementia. He has resisted mightily all attempts for any of us kids to help in the past, so this was a huge step to make on his part.

My siblings and I went into action. We discussed and planned (with Dad) as to how we'd handle everything. For the moment, I am doing Mom duty, and Dad is much relieved. In two weeks, my sister is moving in with them to help take care of the day-to-day stuff.

It took some planning, rearranging, organizing, packing, and even giving stuff away to get it all in order (both my parents and my sister down-sized). In the midst of this, various grand-kids are showing up to spend time with Grandpa because they're worried about his frail health. They're staying with me so as not to stress the grandparents with guests. I've had guests since May 1 with only a few days in between to clean the room and change the sheets. And it's still on-going!

In between all of that (no drama, just excitement), Husband and I have managed to clean out more junk we don't need, can 3 more cases of spaghetti sauce (we send everyone home with a case of sauce), clean out the heated cat houses for the summer, spiff up the cabin and the guest room, sew stuff for the consignment shop (and found a new venue for my stuff!), and take care of the yard as spring rains have Spring bursting out all over.

As far as prepping - I've been buying sugar and flour (split a 50 pound bag of Camelot flour with a friend). Husband has beefed up his solar array and rechargeable battery system. With all the excitement, we didn't get the garden in, so we're planning to rely on farmer's markets, orchard, and the Amish for produce for now. We also found a meat market in another town close by that butchers only locally raised stock without additives to stock or meat. While I haven't shopped there yet, once we do, our reliance on grocery stores will be significantly lessened. I am doing as much as I can to rely on ourselves AND local and small producers for everything and staying away from the big box/chain grocery and discount stores.

In between all this I have attended a few yard sales and one of my kids doesn't know it yet, but at Christmas, they will be the proud owner of a Singer Featherweight. Machine, case, and attachments are in beautiful condition. A sewing friend sold it to me below market value because of our mutual love of quilting. Picked up a few other things, more PYREX, some clothes, and odds and ends.

Once things settle down here, I will be back to posting more often. While we are in family upheaval, this is actually a good thing my siblings and I have been praying for. My Dad is very independent, and we noted the decline but couldn't step in until he asked us to. This allows him to keep his dignity, and allows us to help out as we've wanted to do for years.

Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

2021 - MAY Prep Tip Of The Day/Month Empty Re: 2021 - MAY Prep Tip Of The Day/Month

Post by rick1 Fri May 21, 2021 9:25 pm

Cin, I hope all goes well for you and your family. You just never know, do ya.

Back to top Go down

2021 - MAY Prep Tip Of The Day/Month Empty Re: 2021 - MAY Prep Tip Of The Day/Month

Post by Cinnamon Sat May 22, 2021 5:57 pm

Rick - Thank you! So far, everything is dropping into place. Dad is relieved he's getting help on his terms, my siblings and I are relieved we're finally allowed to help!

I've been packing the freezer with meals and sides, so I don't have to worry about feeding the crowds that are showing up. Smile

We've actually been having a nice time - family is dropping in we've not seen since before the lock down, so it's a nice little interlude for all of us to be able to see each other.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Thu May 27, 2021 3:28 pm

Got the garden all planted.

Had 3 new calves, guess I'll have to have 3 butchered in early fall, $$$$$$$.

Got all the fields planted, corn, soy beans, wheat, about 38 acres total.

Got the first cutting of hay cut, baled and in the hay shed. I have to give some of the grandkids credit, they did one field all by themselves and their young yet, they think it's fun 'cause they get to drive the tractors, get grandma's good cooking and get to sleep over.

Rotated out 25 gallon of gas and 15 gallon of diesel. Had the grandson (14 y.o.) change the oil in the old 1949, Ford 8N tractor. He says it's his when he gets his own farm.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Thu May 27, 2021 4:04 pm

rick1 wrote:...
Rotated out 25 gallon of gas and 15 gallon of diesel. Had the grandson (14 y.o.) change the oil in the old 1949, Ford 8N tractor. He says it's his when he gets his own farm.
I got some gas in the shed that I bough around Christmas, and it going through the 80's this afternoon. Looked at the cans about 1pm, and they were round, not square. Loosened the caps just enough to hear a slight hiss (butane escaping).

Wish these things had pressure/vac relief valves instead of sealing until they burst. When I was 19, I used to pour about a ounce or two of butane into a "Pringles" can and wait, with a lighter next to the top, until the lid popped. Made a nice demonstration of a fuel-air b--b. I don't wan't a 5 gallon version of that in my shed bom

TRex2

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Thu May 27, 2021 4:20 pm

TRex2 wrote:
rick1 wrote:...
I got some gas in the shed that I bough around Christmas, and it going through the 80's this afternoon.  Looked at the cans about 1pm, and they were round, not square. Loosened the caps just enough to hear a slight hiss (butane escaping).

Wish these things had pressure/vac relief valves instead of sealing until they burst.  When I was 19, I used to pour about a ounce or two of butane into a "Pringles" can and wait, with a lighter next to the top, until the lid popped. Made a nice demonstration of a fuel-air b--b.  I don't wan't a 5 gallon version of that in my shed bom

I used to drill a small hole in the gas can and put in a stainless self tapping screw in it, that gave the plastic gas container room to breath.

TRex2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Fri May 28, 2021 8:34 am

Finally got the garden all planted....

We tried to plant all heirloom seed so we can let some stuff go to seed and keep it for next year... Also we have our experiment row.

We are trying some different types of bush and pole beans...

I am going to start our rain catchment system very soon and the joys of home ownership are starting to come into play.

The vinyl siding came in this week for the back of the house we watched a few videos and decided that we are going to try to install it ourselves .. ( I voted for metal but I was out voted by my wife ) Smile

Waiting on a new septic system to be put in and still trying to find a dependable electrician to change out my breaker box....

Sigh its going to be a busy summer

Dave58

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Fri May 28, 2021 9:49 am

Double time Dave, don't let none of that grass grow under those feet of yours:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWt937HKPgo

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Fri May 28, 2021 12:11 pm

rick1 wrote:Double time Dave, don't let none of that grass grow under those feet of yours:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWt937HKPgo

We had a female DI that used to yell at us ....

ALWAYS PROGRESS WHITE BOYS ALWAYS PROGRESS

Good Times 2021 - MAY Prep Tip Of The Day/Month 1f4aa

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down