+2
Drinkthekoolaid
Dave58
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Earthquake/Volcano - Page 2 Empty Re: Earthquake/Volcano

Post by rick1 Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:30 pm

Yep, it's been erupting for the last 2 hours or so.

No escaping it now, they closed the airport there, it's now a seismic crisis there:

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/lapalma/sep2021seismic-crisis/current-activity.html

Last edited by rick1 on Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add link)

rick1

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:35 pm

rick1 wrote:...
If I lived anywhere near the Atlantic coast, I'd be looking for updates from there every 5 or 10 minutes.
If I lived anywhere near the Atlantic coast, I would be packing to leave.
(And I would have left months ago.)

TRex2

rick1, Dave58 and Drinkthekoolaid like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:38 pm

TRex2 wrote:
rick1 wrote:...
If I lived anywhere near the Atlantic coast, I'd be looking for updates from there every 5 or 10 minutes.
If I lived anywhere near the Atlantic coast, I would be packing to leave.
(And I would have left months ago.)

Laugh Animated Laugh Animated Laugh Animated

rick1

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:02 pm

Another update from a few minutes ago, some 5000 evacuated:

https://en.as.com/en/2021/09/19/latest_news/1632066113_282243.html

rick1

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:26 pm

Live Video:

ReadyMom
Admin

rick1 and Dave58 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:20 pm

ReadyMom
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:19 am

Actually the videos are kind of reassuring.

While I'm not going to stop watching for an event, unless a large chunk of the western slope all slides into the Atlantic at once then chances of a mega-tsunami are minimal. So I think it's a good thing that the volcano is releasing pressure and not building up to a Mount St Helens style blowout.

That said I'm keeping a few windows open on my work computer so I can keep an eye on things and warn my family if a collapse starts.

dmwalsh568

ReadyMom, rick1, Dave58, TRex2 and Drinkthekoolaid like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:53 am

dmwalsh568 wrote:Actually the videos are kind of reassuring.

While I'm not going to stop watching for an event, unless a large chunk of the western slope all slides into the Atlantic at once then chances of a mega-tsunami are minimal. So I think it's a good thing that the volcano is releasing pressure and not building up to a Mount St Helens style blowout.

That said I'm keeping a few windows open on my work computer so I can keep an eye on things and warn my family if a collapse starts.

I think you're safe dm, scientist say it's slim to none on the tsunami. But you never know, the first sign of something like a slid, didi out of there.

rick1

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinkthekoolaid Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:11 am

dmwalsh568 wrote:Actually the videos are kind of reassuring.

I think a gradual release of pressure is best case scenario and reduces the probability of a catastrophic event.
I think in the future this latest series of earthquakes and magma movement has made the fracture more unstable and increased the likelihood of a future tsunami but for the time being it appears to be decreasing

Drinkthekoolaid

ReadyMom, rick1 and Dave58 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:37 am

La Palma volcano eruption update: 5,000 evacuated, hundreds of homes destroyed ...
https://strangesounds.org/2021/09/la-palma-volcano-eruption-update-video-pictures-sept-20.html

At the moment, a tsunami is RULED OUT. The area that is feared to be causing the tsunami is at the southwestern side of the island (green circled area). We are far from it right now!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:06 am

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:45 pm

I just looked back at the thread (thank God for forums) and notices some things I hadn't noticed, before.

dmwalsh568 wrote:...
So I think it's a good thing that the volcano is releasing pressure and not building up to a Mount St Helens style blowout.
No. There won't be a Mt. St. Helens style blowout. At this point a rock slide is not impossible, but unlikely. I am not a volcanologist, by any measure, so I can't really guess at any other scenario.

Sounds reasonable. You mentioned Cape Cod, before, and I didn't think much of it, at the time, but that should effectively shield everything from New Bedford to Quincy. Water would probably be pushed up, through the bay and into Providence. I just looked up Framington, and it is listed with an elevation of 50 meters, so it is probably safe (from the tsunami, but not from the chaos).

Don't know if any of that that helps.

rick1 wrote:I think you're safe dm, scientist say it's slim to none on the tsunami. But you never know, the first sign of something like a slid, didi out of there.
Tell your relatives, if anything happens (not just now, but for any disaster), skedaddle and don't hesitate. As soon as the news gets out, the traffic will get worse.

TRex2

Drinkthekoolaid likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:02 pm

La Palma volcano: coastal landslide captured on video
https://en.as.com/en/2021/09/26/videos/1632664125_016790.html

A collapse in the cliff area of the Tazacorte coast in La Palma has been circulated, with the belief that this could be due to the usual tremors in area.

The national Geographical and Mining Institute said on Saturday its drones had shown the volcano's cone had broken.

NOTE: Sounds like they are not alarmed by this, though.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:59 pm

Admin

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:41 am

ReadyMom wrote:La Palma volcano: coastal landslide captured on video
https://en.as.com/en/2021/09/26/videos/1632664125_016790.html

A collapse in the cliff area of the Tazacorte coast in La Palma has been circulated, with the belief that this could be due to the usual tremors in area.

The national Geographical and Mining Institute said on Saturday its drones had shown the volcano's cone had broken.

NOTE: Sounds like they are not alarmed by this, though.

Unless there is a huge collapse that happens quickly then there is nothing to worry about for the US East Coast. Even a bunch of these little collapses wouldn't cause a tsunami capable of crossing the Atlantic with any force. So I consider all this to be good news.

Of course I'm still watching in case something goes sideways, but not going to lose any sleep over this for now.

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:14 am

Uh Oh! La Palma - Flatlined!
https://halturnerradioshow.com/index.php/en/news-page/world/uh-oh-la-palma-flatlined

So, what does this mean? Did the plate slip and cap the volcano somewhere?

No .. I guess not .... Looks like its spewing lava again:

https://en.as.com/en/2021/09/27/latest_news/1632725323_202035.html

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:47 pm

Unless there is a huge collapse that happens quickly then there is nothing to worry about for the US East Coast. Even a bunch of these little collapses wouldn't cause a tsunami capable of crossing the Atlantic with any force. So I consider all this to be good news.

Of course I'm still watching in case something goes sideways, but not going to lose any sleep over this for now.
Good call. More of these little things are a good thing, since they slowly dissipate potential energy, that would otherwise build up.  

ReadyMom wrote:Uh Oh! La Palma - Flatlined!
https://halturnerradioshow.com/index.php/en/news-page/world/uh-oh-la-palma-flatlined
It means:
If you keep watching all of this stuff, it will wear you out Laughing

Especially if you are getting your updates from Hal Turner. That is like watching ZeroHedge for financial updates. In both cases, I recommend looking at them once in a while, to remind you just just how badly this world needs Jesus, but looking at them too much could give you a false sense of how close we are to impending doom (impending doom is real, but you don't want to dwell on it).

UPDATE: I just went over to check ZeroHedge and noticed they are much more readable and not quite so negative as they used to be.

TRex2

rick1, Dave58 and dmwalsh568 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:44 pm

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:16 pm

TRex2 wrote:

Good call. More of these little things are a good thing, since they slowly dissipate potential energy, that would otherwise build up.  

ReadyMom wrote:Uh Oh! La Palma - Flatlined!
It means:
If you keep watching all of this stuff, it will wear you out Laughing

Especially if you are getting your updates from Hal Turner. That is like watching ZeroHedge for financial updates. In both cases, I recommend looking at them once in a while, to remind you just just how badly this world needs Jesus, but looking at them too much could give you a false sense of how close we are to impending doom (impending doom is real, but you don't want to dwell on it).

UPDATE: I just went over to check ZeroHedge and noticed they are much more readable and not quite so negative as they used to be.

I agree TRex if you keep watching it will get to you , but I am like RM and I check a couple of times everyday well actually 3 times a day Smile ...I just can't shake these weird feelings I keep getting and I want to stay ahead of the curve is possible.. It might mean the difference between gas or no gas food , meds you get the picture....

Dave58

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:10 pm

Dave58 wrote:I agree TRex if you keep watching it will get to you , but I am like RM and I check a couple of times everyday well actually 3 times a day Smile ...I just can't shake these weird feelings I keep getting and I want to stay ahead of the curve is possible.. It might mean the difference between gas or no gas food , meds you get the picture....
There was an earthquake (swarm) in Crete, this morning (last night?), so, now the chances of anything happening along the Spanish coastline are quite small. In fact, there is now more of a chance of a rupture on the the fault line on our own Eastern coast (remember Haiti?).

https://strangesounds.org/2019/08/new-york-is-overdue-for-a-big-earthquake-that-could-level-thousands-of-buildings.html

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:38 pm

UpDate: (I like his calm informative style)

Admin

rick1 and TRex2 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:41 am

ReadyMom wrote:UpDate: (I like his calm informative style)
[you-tube]
I trust everyone has the proper eye protection, after watching this video. I didn't hear him say it word for word, but I suspect his "bad night" was because the ash he got in his eyes on the way home made them itch all night.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:37 pm

TRex2 wrote:
[you-tube]
I trust everyone has the proper eye protection, after watching this video. I didn't hear him say it word for word, but I suspect his "bad night" was because the ash he got in his eyes on the way home made them itch all night.
. Actually, he did say that!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:12 pm

ReadyMom wrote:
TRex2 wrote:
[you-tube]
. Actually, he did say that!
OK, I missed him saying that, but I didn't miss the lesson, and I am going to check my "eye protection" supplies.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:13 am

TRex2 wrote:
[you-tube]

Back when Yellowstone was uplifting more seriously I grabbed a selection of eye protection just in case. Since I wasn't sure what would be best against ash, I have chemical splash goggles, swim goggle and ski goggles. But seeing this reminds me I need to get a few eye cups in case I need to clean out debris from an eye quickly without help. Corneal abrasion is no joke!

dmwalsh568

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:23 pm

Is anyone still watching this? It's not looking good. WHY is there so much dense black smoke coming out of the volcano?

Admin

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:25 am

I still watch it everyday. Its pretty spooky

Dave58

Drinkthekoolaid likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:11 am

It's a terrible local disaster, but other than some flights in the area it has very little impact for folks not on the island.

While I'm keeping an eye on it, I'm not terribly worried at this point. I have plenty of other more local worries that are of much more concern. So unless the cone collapses or even starts building towards the ocean side of the volcano, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

dmwalsh568

rick1, Dave58 and Drinkthekoolaid like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:17 pm

It's volcanoes, tsunamis and risk at La Palma
https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/2195071/its-volcanoes-tsunamis-and-risk-at-la-palma

The odds that this particular volcanic eruption will cause a mega-tsunami are less than one in a hundred, maybe one in a thousand. Even if a tsunami from La Palma did reach the Americas, the wave height might be less than one metre. But the risk of unpredictable, life-altering events is real.

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:17 pm

the risk of unpredictable, life-altering events is real.
Always.

TRex2

ReadyMom, rick1 and Drinkthekoolaid like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:38 am

La Palma still erupting, new lava flow channel, cone collapse. The heat is turning up, fast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTJ0vbkX3TY

Dave58 and Drinkthekoolaid like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:44 pm

Seems like the volcano is far from being over and becoming more active:

https://en.as.com/en/2021/11/10/latest_news/1636541307_536126.html

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:07 am

Under water volcano erupts in the pacific ocean, near Tonga. Tsunami warning out for the west coast, not expected to be more then a foot high:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2022/01/15/tonga-tsunami-warning-underseas-volcano-eruption-sends-people-inland/6538782001/

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:50 pm

Iceland getting ready for the eruption of a volcano, showed on tv that the roads are collapsing from earthquakes and magma running only 800 meters underground:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/iceland-evacuates-town-over-concerns-volcanic-eruption-2023-11-11/

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:48 am

rick1 wrote:Iceland getting ready for the eruption of a volcano, showed on tv that the roads are collapsing from earthquakes and magma running only 800 meters underground:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/iceland-evacuates-town-over-concerns-volcanic-eruption-2023-11-11/
This happens in Iceland, every few years. I have heard its nickname is "The Land of Fire and Ice."

Ash clouds will present a hazard to North Atlantic air travel.

TRex2

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:01 am

TRex2 wrote:
rick1 wrote:Iceland getting ready for the eruption of a volcano, showed on tv that the roads are collapsing from earthquakes and magma running only 800 meters underground:

This happens in Iceland, every few years. I have heard its nickname is "The Land of Fire and Ice."

Ash clouds will present a hazard to North Atlantic air travel.
Looks like this volcano season is going to be one "to tell the grandkids about."
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/iceland-volcano-fades-leaves-residents-cold-2024-02-09/
The article mentions "15 million cubic meters" flowed from the eruption.
That would be more than enough to fill a football stadium.
(about 220yds x 330yrds, and 275 yards deep)

In case anyone is interested in a little history of Icelandic Volcanoes.
https://guidetoiceland.is/nature-info/the-deadliest-volcanoes-in-iceland

TRex2

Cinnamon and Dave58 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2