Palestine Ohio train derailment

3 posters

Go down

Palestine Ohio train derailment  Empty Toxic Train Derailment

Post by ReadyMom Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:56 pm

Dead animals and reports of sickness as ecological disaster unfolds after Ohio toxic train derailment
https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/train-derailment-ohio-palestine-chemicals-b2281306.html

The ecological fallout from the derailment of a freight train carrying toxic materials in rural Ohio is still being determined ten days after the disaster.

Around 50 train cars derailed on 3rd February in the small town of East Palestine including about 20 cars carrying hazardous substances.

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Palestine Ohio train derailment  Empty Re: Palestine Ohio train derailment

Post by ReadyMom Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:03 pm

So ... I've seen video of the sky after this. I'm wondering how far East it's going to go and how quickly does it dissipate on the journey?

Full List of Toxic Chemicals Released From Ohio Train Derailment
https://www.newsweek.com/ohio-train-derailment-toxic-chemicals-list-epa-1780805

Admin

rick1 and Dave58 like this post

Back to top Go down

Palestine Ohio train derailment  Empty Palestine Ohio train derailment

Post by Drinkthekoolaid Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:31 pm

Drinkthekoolaid

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinkthekoolaid Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:46 pm

Hi @readymom I actually posted this in the national section earlier. This might be a national or regional level concern. Feel free to merge the threads if you think it is easier

Drinkthekoolaid

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinkthekoolaid Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:32 pm

ReadyMom wrote:So ... I've seen video of the sky after this. I'm wondering how far East it's going to go and how quickly does it dissipate on the journey?

Full List of Toxic Chemicals Released From Ohio Train Derailment
https://www.newsweek.com/ohio-train-derailment-toxic-chemicals-list-epa-1780805

I've heard it can go to around 200 miles.

I'm right barely within that zone. East Palestine is about 180 miles southwest of me. And we've had a lot of warm weather and SW wind the past week...

Drinkthekoolaid

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinkthekoolaid Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:34 pm

***** language warning*****

The guy swears and pretty loudly. Just a heads up.

This is taken from about 10-15 miles east of the crash. It looks apocalyptic.

***Language warning, he swears*** but it's raw emotion and distress

https://twitter.com/user/status/1625209894193270791

Even more peculiar is how the media totally stopped reporting on and covering this story. That in itself is very strange.  The story has arguably gotten worse as media coverage has stopped.  

They are finding dead fish and animals all over the place. There are photos going around of cars with their plastic pieces have visible damage from acid rain or chemical rain. It's really messed up. I'm not a chemistry whiz but I think vinyl chloride can easily react and create hydrochloric acid.

Drinkthekoolaid

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:49 pm

Well, starting with the newsweek article, the first lesson is not to trust the Government.
Residents of East Palestine were allowed to return to their homes after chemicals observed in the atmosphere following the controlled release were found to be at safe levels. Some have complained of headaches and nausea, according to the Associated Press, and pets have died in suspected cases of chemical exposure.
I have always said, if there is a nearby evacuation, always go twice as far away from the danger as the government tells you to. I guess I should add, stay away twice as long.

Now: as for the chemicals.
Hydrogen Chloride gets rid of itself pretty fast. It reacts with everything in the environment. Phosgene will travel downhill, into streams, valleys and rivers, where it will decompose into Hydrogen Chloride and will not last more than a few hours, or a couple days.

Vinyl chloride, Butyl acrylate, Ethylhexyl acrylate, Ethylene glycol monobutyl, these are real problems, and if they burn, the residues will be real problems, mostly downstream of where they entered the environment. The joker in the deck is that they will infiltrate the aquifers and be a problem where ever those aquifers run. They act like underground rivers, but, while they flow in the same general direction, they don't take the same route as above ground rivers.

They are talking about medical screening withing a 30 mile radius, and that may be under kill or over kill, depending on the terrain and direction. in the direction from the derailment to the South or West, 30 miles seems reasonable, but if you are in Pennsylvania, it is probably overkill.

TRex2

rick1 and Drinkthekoolaid like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:33 pm

Drinkthekoolaid wrote:...
Even more peculiar is how the media totally stopped reporting on and covering this story. That in itself is very strange.  The story has arguably gotten worse as media coverage has stopped.
I think it is that "culture of bass" that Dave Ramsey talks about. You don't need "bait" to fish for bass, just something shiny. Anything shiny and new, and people tend to be attracted to it. In this case, shiny balloons.

They are finding dead fish and animals all over the place. There are photos going around of cars with their plastic pieces have visible damage from acid rain or chemical rain. It's really messed up.  I'm not a chemistry whiz but I think vinyl chloride can easily react and create hydrochloric acid.
I am not that good at chemistry, either, and suspect that hydrochloric acid (hydrogen chloride), while immediately destructive, may be the least of their worries. I worry more that there may be persistent chemicals introduced into the environment that will linger for years.

TRex2

Drinkthekoolaid likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:32 am

Three more chemicals have been found on the Norfolk Southern train
https://thehill.com/homenews/3856043-3-more-chemicals-discovered-in-ohio-train-derailment/

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency sent a letter to Norfolk Southern stating that ethylene glycol monobutyl ether, ethylhexyl acrylate and isobutylene were also in the rail cars that were derailed, breached and/or on fire.

Admin

rick1, Dave58 and Drinkthekoolaid like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:23 am

West Virginia:

Train derailment prompts water utility to take precautions
https://www.wkbn.com/news/local-news/east-palestine-train-derailment/ap-train-derailment-prompts-water-utility-to-take-precautions/

West Virginia American Water said Sunday that it’s also going to install a secondary intake on the Guyandotte River in case there’s a need to switch to an alternate water source. The utility noted that there hasn’t been any change in raw water at its Ohio River intake.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:26 pm

Sharing this from a post on Telegram:  (Click on photo to make it bigger)

Palestine Ohio train derailment  Scree108

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:16 pm

Is the Ohio train derailment chemical spill impacting West Virginia’s water?
https://www.wowktv.com/news/west-virginia/is-the-ohio-train-derailment-chemical-spill-impacting-west-virginias-water/

West Virginia Governor Jim Justice’s office says officials detected “low levels” of butyl acrylate had reached the Ohio River through its tributary, Little Beaver Creek, along the Ohio-Pennsylvania-West Virginia border. The North Fork of Little Beaver Creek has its own tributary, Leslie Run, that flows through East Palestine, Ohio.

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:23 pm

Shocked Shocked Shocked

After a train derailment, Ohio residents are living the plot of a movie they helped make
https://www.wjcl.com/article/ohio-train-derailment-white-noise-movie-plot-real-life/42859167#

Related:

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinkthekoolaid Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:27 pm

ReadyMom wrote:Shocked Shocked Shocked

After a train derailment, Ohio residents are living the plot of a movie they helped make
https://www.wjcl.com/article/ohio-train-derailment-white-noise-movie-plot-real-life/42859167#

Related:

There are coincidences, and there are coincidences.

Drinkthekoolaid

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:15 pm

Saw this tonight: I'm in the red range Sad

Palestine Ohio train derailment  Scree109

Admin

Drinkthekoolaid likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:32 pm

ReadyMom wrote:Saw this tonight:   I'm in the red range  Sad  

Palestine Ohio train derailment  Scree109
Who came up with the "200 miles" idea?

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:37 am

Seems that no one wants to approach this logically.

The railroad company bears moral and financial liability, although corporations are amoral by nature, and will attempt to shuffle costs off to other entities. The Federal government wants to pretend there isn't any problem, and if there is one, they want to blame Trump, who had nothing to do with this. Fema seems to be pretending there is no emergency to manage.

People within (aprox) 30 miles need help. People downstream need answers. People who are upstream and much further way than 30 miles are just plain panicking.

If you are within 30 miles, you need to be cognizant that the winds could have brought some of the contamination your way. Maybe. Watch the wildlife in your area. Bugs birds and reptiles, especially.

If you are South or West of the spill, surface or ground water may be contaminated.

Someone with a more refined knowledge of the geography can get more precise than this posting, but the answers are available, for those who want to do the research.

TRex2

rick1, Dave58 and Drinkthekoolaid like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:18 pm

In my previous post, I said:
If you are South or West of the spill, surface or ground water may be contaminated.
However, I had not been able to find any elevation maps, to tell me which rivers flow, in what direction.
This is a start:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b4/Ohiorivermap.png

I have been hearing that contamination has been found in W.V., which may indicate the wind was flowing from NW to SE (which is normal) while the chemicals were burning. Still seems like a long ways away. Some of those areas should be tested, but it would surprise me if there was substantial airborne contamination, more than 30 or so miles away.

One possibility is that "found in W.V." could mean in the Ohio river, which borders the state.

Here is an AP article, discussing the fear mongering:
https://apnews.com/article/fact-check-Ohio-contamination-map-411989877238
Now, I don't usually trust the AP, but most of the stuff in this particular article seems true to me.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:48 am

One piece of information I have been waiting for is "persistence" of these chemicals in the environment. Finally heard something, this morning.

None of the chemicals named so far are persistent in the environment (except one), so they are very dangerous, but only for a few weeks. The one exception I heard this morning is Vinyl Chloride, which isn't persistent on the surface, but whatever soaks into the ground can pollute the ground water for quite a long time.

There still may be some other chemicals that need to be dealt with, if they keep getting a "sheen" on the water. I can think of a few possibilities, but I haven't heard anything.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:11 am

They are, now, saying that there were other chemicals to deal with. Nice of them to put their cards on the table. I think they may have been trying to hide something. Now they are afraid they will get found out.

My advice, during an evacuation, is still the same. Go twice as far away as they tell you to, and stay away twice as long.

TRex2

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down