Sewing-Darning Socks

2 posters

Go down

Sewing-Darning Socks Empty Sewing-Darning Socks

Post by ReadyMom Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:40 pm

How to Extend Sock Life by Mending and Darning the Holes
https://www.shtfblog.com/how-to-extend-sock-life-by-mending-and-darning-the-holes/

I contacted my survival sewing home girl, Julie Anne Eason of SeriousSewing.com and said, “Yo survival sewing home girl, can you dose me up with a survival sewing post on how to mend socks?”

While I thought the information might be of interest to some SHTF Blog readers, the request was really out of self-interest. You see, I looooove Smart Wool socks. They’re warm, comfy and SHTF stylish. I end up wearing them all the time, even around the house as slippers. But this heavy use of rather pricey socks means they don’t last as long as the cheaper socks that end up staying in my dresser most of the time. Consequently, more use means more wear, and the heels of the socks go first.   ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Sewing-Darning Socks Empty Re: Sewing-Darning Socks

Post by Cinnamon Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:18 am

I darn my wool socks all the time - they are too expensive to just let go. I also wear them around the house as slippers, sometimes even in summer when the AC is too cold for me (but just right for Husband and dog). I wear the Omni-Wool socks from Sam's Club.

That said, when they get too darned, I pass them to my niece, who uses them for animal bandage covers on her horses and goats...and maybe people Smile. I was instructed by her to "never throw away hole-y socks again!"
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Sewing-Darning Socks Empty How to Darn a Sock

Post by ReadyMom Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:14 pm

This will come in handy!!

How to Darn a Sock Using a Woven Repair
http://www.customwoolenmills.com/blog/how-to-darn-a-sock-using-a-woven-repair/

Sewing-Darning Socks DarningSupplies (SNIP) ... Woven repair is a very simple and quick technique. All you need is a darning needle, a scrap of yarn, something to hold your repair item taught against, and about 10 minutes time. For this reason, not only is it the easiest repair method for wool socks, it is the go-to method for fixing woven blankets and inconspicuous holes in sweaters. You can match your repair yarn to your piece, or you can choose a contrasting colour to highlight a lovingly repaired well-used item! ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:18 pm

How to Extend Sock Life by Mending and Darning the Holes
https://www.shtfblog.com/how-to-extend-sock-life-by-mending-and-darning-the-holes/

Sewing-Darning Socks Sock_supplies  I contacted my survival sewing home girl, Julie Anne Eason of SeriousSewing.com and said, "Yo survival sewing home girl, can you dose me up with a survival sewing post on how to mend socks?"

While I thought the information might be of interest to some SHTF Blog readers, the request was really out of self-interest. You see, I looooove Smart Wool socks. They're warm, comfy and SHTF stylish. I end up wearing them all the time, even around the house as slippers. But this heavy use of rather pricey socks means they don't last as long as the cheaper socks that end up staying in my dresser most of the time. Consequently, more use means more wear, and the heels of the socks go first.

Looking to extend the socks' life, and also to extend my money, I asked Julie Anne if she'd write a post for me. She was nice enough to oblige. Now all I need is a darning egg (stocking stuffer idea?), a little wool, needle, this blog post and I'm ready to sew up my survival socks! ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:59 pm

You don't need a darning egg, although they are nice to have - my Dad made 2 for me. He just turned them on his lathe.

You can use a an old, blown-out lightbulb. Works just fine.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:20 pm

Cinnamon wrote:You don't need a darning egg, although they are nice to have - my Dad made 2 for me. He just turned them on his lathe.

You can use a an old, blown-out lightbulb. Works just fine.

Agree-sign That's what I do! I have a nice big one that works fine!!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down