Cattails (Wild)

Go down

Cattails (Wild) Empty Cattails (Wild)

Post by ReadyMom Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:13 am

The incredible cattail-The super Wal-Mart of the swamp
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/duffyk43.html

By Kevin F. Duffy

Cattails (Wild) Duffyk43_1 I can think of no other North American plant that is more useful than the cattail. This wonderful plant is a virtual gold mine of survival utility. It is a four-season food, medicinal, and utility plant. What other plant can boast eight food products, three medicinals, and at least 12 other functional uses?

-snip-

Cattail is a member of the grass family, Gramineae, as are rice, corn, wheat, oats, barley, and rye, just to mention a few. Of the 15 most commonly consumed domesticated plant foods, 10 are grasses. However, of more than 1300 wild grasses, none holds a loftier position as a survival food than cattail. Just about any place you can find year-round standing water or wet soil, you can usually find cattails.

-snip-

As a food plant, cattails are outstanding and offer a variety of food products according to the season. In early spring, dig up the roots to . . . .

-snip-

In late spring to early summer, some of my favorite food products come into fruition on the cattail. Soon after these shoots become available, . . . . . --- continued at link, above ---

Includes:
    Identification    Corms, shoots, and spikes    Pollen and root starch    Medicinal and other uses

Last edited by ReadyMom on Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:20 pm; edited 2 times in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Cattails (Wild) Empty Re: Cattails (Wild)

Post by ReadyMom Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:55 am

Cattails – The Little Known Survival Food
https://urbansurvivalsite.com/cattails-the-little-known-super-food/

Cattails (Wild) Ngcb11 Cattails are an often overlooked survival food. These nutrient-rich wild edibles grow throughout the United States and are generally easy to find. Cattails boast a high percentage of vitamins A, B, and C, phosphorous, manganese, and potassium.

Not only can you eat cattails, you can also harvest the pollen from the foraged plant and use it as a shelf-stable substitute for flour. They have a slightly starchy yet mild flavor. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:43 am

50+ Survival Uses For Cattails
https://www.askaprepper.com/50-survival-uses-for-cattails/

Cattails (Wild) 50-Survival-Uses-For-Cattails-12-750x375 (SNIP) ... Cattail is a true cornucopia, providing us with food in all four seasons, medicine for numerous ailments, materials to make clothing and shelter, and can provide abundant materials for crafts and construction.

Check out these fifty+ different ways you can use this plant from root to seed. ---CONTINUED---

Admin

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:19 pm

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down