California Wild Fires and Power Outages

5 posters

Go down

California Wild Fires and Power Outages Empty California Wild Fires and Power Outages

Post by rick1 Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:19 am

As many as 800,000 customers (or more) to have power cut, anywhere from a few days or up to a week due to risk of wildfires. Many news outlets reporting stores are running out of supplies and that the people are not ready for this. I guess they are not well prepared on the left coast:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/california-wildfires/article/PG-E-power-shut-off-257-000-Bay-Area-residents-14500945.php

Back to top Go down

California Wild Fires and Power Outages Empty Re: California Wild Fires and Power Outages

Post by ReadyMom Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:37 am

Moms on a social page I'm on are NOT happy about this. 'FEMA Camps', 'Social Experiment' are just a couple of the comments made about this:

PG&E will set up more than 24 community centers
https://www.actionnewsnow.com/content/news/PGE-will-
set-up-more-than-24-community-centers-562564491.html

Pacific Gas and Electric says it will be setting up more than two dozen community centers with restrooms and electronic-device charging stations for people in counties affected by a power shutdown aimed at reducing wildfire risks.

Admin

Back to top Go down

California Wild Fires and Power Outages Empty Re: California Wild Fires and Power Outages

Post by Dave58 Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:40 am

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/10/08/us/pge-power-shutdown-california/index.html?fbclid=IwAR2ZlXmqSk0QQYM5v-dmLwHVcZqbb_XEzFU8Jooe8LdSM4CI6S2z8dBEa7U

I found this a little bit ago. It says up to 2 million people will be without power , but it also says they were told about this weeks in advance.

I feel bad for the ones that need the power for their meds or equipment to keep them alive. the people that said it will never happen to me and ignored this I don't really feel anything at all..

Our daughter lives in Cali and even though she doesn't speak to us anymore she always told me there was no reason to keep extra stuff because the store on the corner always had water and food....

This will be interesting to watch to see just how much looting and nasty things goes on out there.

I think very good prepping lesson's will come out of this..

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:00 am

They were told about the rolling power outages after last years wild fires, it was recommended by state officials that if the fire risks were high, that the power should be turned off to help prevent any ignitions. This also forced PG&E into bankruptcy.

Like Dave said, I feel sorry for those that need it for medical reasons, but I don't feel sorry for anybody else, they've been warned well in advance.

"California residents lack of preparedness, does not constitute an emergency for me."

The Cali Government will take care of them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:29 am

Has anybody mentioned Marshall Law yet ??

I think this will really be worth watching. My wife and I could do a week without electric easy , but there still be a learning curve. cooking on a camp stove/wood stove will be different.

I think we will practice next week while she is on vacation

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinkthekoolaid Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:39 am

I talk to people in California for work. I will keep note of any interesting conversations or comments they make.

Off topic somewhat...
I still want to know more about the Metcalf substation attack in San Jose. It has been eerily quiet and it's rarely mentioned.

Drinkthekoolaid

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:47 am

Drinkthekoolaid wrote:I talk to people in California for work. I will keep note of any interesting conversations or comments they make.

Off topic somewhat...
I still want to know more about the Metcalf substation attack in San Jose. It has been eerily quiet and it's rarely mentioned.

I just talked with a lady in California and she said some of the stores have generators to stay open..

To be honest I had forgot about the substation attack , but nobody mentions the NYC power outage anymore..

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:21 am

Power Outage in the face of high winds?
Feel sorry for them?
Hell no.
I am glad someone finally got their head our of their ...

I have watched, time and time again, as Hurricanes came ashore and the power stated on until sparking power lines burned down a few homes and electrocuted a couple of people. Have been posting since Rita (2004?) that the power needs to be cut in mandatory evacuation zones. (You stay, you're on your own, we can look for your body after the storm.)

Hats Off to PG&E.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:25 am

ReadyMom wrote:Moms on a social page I'm on are NOT happy about this. 'FEMA Camps', 'Social Experiment' are just a couple of the comments made about this:
PG&E will set up more than 24 community centers
FEMA Camps? Thanks for the laugh.
PG&E is going above and beyond, IMHO.

DTKA wrote:Off topic somewhat...
If you mean the one that was attacked a few hours after the Boston Marathon was bombed, I know about it.

What do you want to know?

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:09 pm

TRex2 wrote:Power Outage in the face of high winds?
Feel sorry for them?
Hell no.
I am glad someone finally got their head our of their ...

I have watched, time and time again, as Hurricanes came ashore and the power stated on until sparking power lines burned down a few homes and electrocuted a couple of people. Have been posting since Rita (2004?) that the power needs to be cut in mandatory evacuation zones. (You stay, you're on your own, we can look for your body after the storm.)

Hats Off to PG&E.

I've been say this for years TR2, but nobody will listen. They need to issue dog tags to all those who don't want to evacuate, 2 around your neck, 1 in each boot lace and one in your gear, just like they told us in Vietnam. Just in case they find your body in parts.

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:14 am

Latest update to the power outages in Kilifornia from the LA Times. About half way down the article, people are outraged because they have no or poor cell phone service and no way to charge their devices. What a bunch of snowflakes.

Residents say they weren't given enough notice of the power outages. NOTE: It should be known that the California Utility Commission in 2017 authorized the power outages by utility companies, but they had to sign up with the CUC. In 2018, PG&E signed up with CUC to have power outages during high risk fire season and high winds. I guess the snowflakes didn't read/hear the news on this:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-10-09/pg-e-cuts-power-across-northern-california-as-winds-bring-critical-fire-danger

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:22 am

Exclamation  I separated out the posts about the power plant attacks and put them in their own thread. It's over in Chit-Chat, since it's more of a discussion, right now. You can find it here:  Power Plants & Substations-Attack Concerns

If we get any new attacks, we can post them here, in National News, since this is more of a current events part of the forum.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinkthekoolaid Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:43 am

ReadyMom wrote:Exclamation  I separated out the posts about the power plant attacks and put them in their own thread. It's over in Chit-Chat, since it's more of a discussion, right now. You can find it here:  Power Plants & Substations-Attack Concerns

If we get any new attacks, we can post them here, in National News, since this is more of a current events part of the forum.

Good idea. I suppose that does deserve it's own thread.

There are reports now that there is major traffic chaos in the blackout affected areas. All traffic signals are out and people are struggling to drive.

Drinkthekoolaid

Back to top Go down

California Wild Fires and Power Outages Empty CA . . . . . .

Post by rick1 Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:10 pm

The outrage 'cause of the PG&E power outages has begun. The news has reported that offices of PG&E have been egged, big deal.

An employee has been shot at while driving a PG&E vehicle, hummm, what's next by the crackpots of kilifornia:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article235966667.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:38 pm

rick1 wrote:The outrage 'cause of the PG&E power outages has begun. The news has reported that offices of PG&E have been egged, big deal.

An employee has been shot at while driving a PG&E vehicle, hummm, what's next by the crackpots of kilifornia:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article235966667.html

Sounds like the snowflakes in Cali are starting to melt a little... They have no place to charge their phones or laptops / I Pads.. Maybe some of them are starting to wake up..

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:06 pm

California power outage: What happens when the lights go out
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-10-08/california-power-outage-questions-answers

Public agencies throughout the region urged people to stock up on bottled water and non-perishable food, fill their gas tanks, charge their phones and have cash at hand. People who need powered medical equipment or refrigerated medicines were urged to contact their providers. Authorities reminded people to park their vehicles outside garages or make sure they know how to manually open their garage doors. People also were warned to drive slowly and carefully because traffic lights could be out and roads closed

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:24 pm

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:41 pm

https://youtu.be/6JrX7sSjVUI

Things are starting to get interesting in Cali and they are supposed to have up to 5 days of this... PopCorn

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by Drinkthekoolaid Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:34 pm

Dave58 wrote:https://youtu.be/6JrX7sSjVUI

Things are starting to get interesting in Cali and they are supposed to have up to 5 days of this... PopCorn

Super interesting. Good video

The lidar helicopters have me confused now...

Drinkthekoolaid

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:49 pm

Prepper Princess is only showing what her local area is seeing, and that Ice Age Farmer is a bit "out there," but they do both show that the MSM is not very reliable at giving us a clear picture of what is going on.

Then again, that isn't what the MSM is for.
The MSM is just there to entertain the masses.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:45 pm

Oxygen-dependent California man dies 12 minutes after PG&E cuts power to his home
https://www.foxnews.com/us/oxygen-dependent-man-dies-12-minutes-after-pge-cuts-power-to-his-home

A Northern California man dependent on an oxygen supply died Wednesday, shortly after power cuts by Pacific Gas and Electric Co. affected his home, fire officials said Friday.

A Northern California man dependent on an oxygen supply died Wednesday, shortly after power cuts by Pacific Gas and Electric Co. affected his home, fire officials said Friday.

Robert Mardis, 67, died roughly 12 minutes after PG&E cut power to his home and the surrounding area. An autopsy report concluded the man died of severe coronary artery atherosclerosis, according to the Sacramento Bee.

Fire personnel responded to a call around 3:40 a.m. and found Mardis unresponsive on the floor of his home, according to El Dorado County Interim Fire Chief Lloyd Ogan. He was found wearing a nasal cannula, used to deliver oxygen to the nose, and was hooked up to a PPAP machine for that purpose. Mardis' family told Fox 40 he couldn’t reach his battery-powered tank in time.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:49 pm

So ... looks like this blackout isn't going to last as long as they wanted it to. They are caving into pressure:

PG&E shutoff: Power restored for nearly all customers in Northern California
https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/fires/article236031853.html#storylink=cpy

Amid intensifying political pressure, PG&E Corp. crews have restored power to about 686,000 homes and businesses in California that had been subjected to a deliberate blackout, the company said Friday.

While about 93 percent of the affected ratepayers had their lights back on, 52,000 customers were still without electricity Friday night, more than 60 hours after the utility cut power in 35 counties.  

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:41 pm

Maybe they should consider this a trial run
on a real grid down situation Laughing

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:36 pm

Surprised   Californians Learning That Solar Panels Don't Work in Blackouts
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/californians-learning-solar-panels-dont-163136244.html

Californians have embraced rooftop solar panels more than anyone in the U.S., but many are learning the hard way the systems won’t keep the lights on during blackouts.

That’s because most panels are designed to supply power to the grid -- not directly to houses. During the heat of the day, solar systems can crank out more juice than a home can handle. Conversely, they don’t produce power at all at night. So systems are tied into the grid, and the vast majority aren’t working this week as PG&E Corp. cuts power to much of Northern California to prevent wildfires.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:15 pm

TRex2 wrote:Maybe they should consider this a trial run

I agree with TR2 I think this was just a test run or maybe they were trying to force the people into becoming better prepared maybe something larger and more nasty is coming...

Aliens with anal probes Shocked Shocked Laugh-Roll

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:15 pm

Dave58 wrote:
TRex2 wrote:Maybe they should consider this a trial run

I agree with TR2 I think this was just a test run or maybe they were trying to force the people into becoming better prepared maybe something larger and more nasty is coming...  
I don't think they are that smart, but I think they should be.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:12 am

Hat Tip Hat Tip-John West's 'Daily Big Threat' blog:

PG&E warns of 10 years of power shut-offs. California officials don't like it
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pgande-warns-of-10-years-of-power-shut-offs-california-officials-dont-like-it/ar-AAJ2vhS?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp

California residents face up to 10 years of widespread, precautionary forced power shut-offs until Pacific Gas & Electric Corp., the bankrupt utility giant, will be able to prevent its power transmission lines from sparking fires, the company’s top official said.

(SNIP)

While the need for widespread shutdowns should lessen every year, Johnson told commissioners, “I think this is probably a 10-year timeline to get to a point where it’s really ratcheted down significantly.”

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRex2 Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:56 pm

Hat Tip-John West's 'Daily Big Threat' blog:
PG&E warns of 10 years of power shut-offs. California officials don't like it
I think PG&E is way too optimistic.

TRex2

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:24 am

Fox news reported that PG&E to shut down power this weekend in most of Northern Kilifornia.

More power outages in the San Francisco area:

https://www.sfgate.com/weather/article/PGE-shutoff-Bay-Area-how-many-customers-14554825.php

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:42 am

Latest on the Kilifornia wildfires from the Scramento Bee, just click on the story you want to read. Man some of the pictures are devastating.

They had wind gust in the 70/80 mph range, how the heck do you slow down a fire with those types of winds and it doesn't look/sound like it's going to get any better over the next few/several days:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/fires/

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:57 am

Over 198,000 acres burned, 5980 fires so far in 2019 in Kilifornia.

Here are the latest statistics, as of October 27th, on the Kilifornia wildfires:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_California_wildfires

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down