Update for August

3 posters

Go down

Update for August Empty Update for August

Post by rick1 Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:21 pm

Today I received 12 cans of Augason Farms vegetable stew mix and 2 rain barrels, both items were ordered through Walmart. A lot cheaper to order from Walmart then from Augason Farms or Emergency Essentials. I saved about $200.00 by doing this.
rick1
rick1

Back to top Go down

Update for August Empty Re: Update for August

Post by Cinnamon Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:32 pm

I went to the optometrist. Ordered new reading glasses, it's been a few years since my last appointment. I have a touch of cataracts, but he said it's not enough to do anything about at the moment.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:25 pm

I'm still going through pantry and tossing some VERY old things out (cake mixes from 2008 😯 for example. )

Sent from Topic'it App

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:41 am

When we first moved out here to the country, Husband and I thought no one would visit us because we were far from everyone. We were wrong. Smile So when we got the house built and started stocking up, we bought things other people might like...and we were wrong.

I, too, have been tossing old pantry stuff. But as I told Husband, at the time we bought it, it WAS food security. We had it if we needed it.

The good thing is, we have a compost heap and a lot of the stuff can go in there. Not much truly gets wasted.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:42 am

Despite the stormy weather, Husband and I were able to walk the dogs this morning. The sky is overcast, but no rain yet.

I spent the morning cutting up old jeans. Someone gave me a batch to make into quilts. I generally am able to salvage the whole back legs, the fronts below the knee and sometimes around the lower front pockets. Occasionally, I can salvage the whole upper front and waist, which make cute aprons with the right fabrics.

These jeans were used until they started thinning, and had tears in odd places, plus lots of stains. I salvaged quite a bit, but not as much as I thought I would.

They're in the wash now, and I'll be making some utility quilts with them. There's enough, I think, for 2 quilts. I back utility quilts with fleece and tie them, rather than actual quilting. Saves wear and tear on my machine (denim is heavy!) and they are still usable and washable.

They'll be added to the pile of spare quilts and blankets I keep for guests and/or bad weather events.

Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:06 pm

I had checked my space above my garage, after ReadyMom had mentioned that her plastic bottles were degraded, probably from the heat, as mine were also.

So I went to Lowe's and purchased 2 wind turbines and installed them on my garage, one on each side of the roof. I put them approximately 8 feet from the eves. I checked the temperature prior to installing the vents and it was 98 degrees. About 4 hours after the installation, the temperature was 78 degrees. The temperature was taken about 2 feet below the peek of the roof. So, if you store non-perishables in the attic of your home or garage, it may pay to install these. They are cheap and easy to install. This model does not have the turbine base, which you will need, they do sell the model with the turbine base.bounce

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Master-Flow-12-in-Galvanized-Steel-Externally-Braced-Roof-Turbine-Vent/999956852
rick1
rick1

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:50 am

Thanks, Rick1 for the link.

I have been considering finishing our attic space for storage, but the temps up there are high. This might be a solution to that issue.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:17 am

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:22 pm

Rotated 10 gallons of gasoline. Did some maintenance on my battery banks, cleaned the solar panels and ran the generators for about 15 minutes. I try to run my generators at least once a month, hate to go to long without running them.

Brought down some firewood from what I cut last year and the year before. I have enough firewood in the back yard now for at least 3 winters. My wife is a little upset with all the firewood, she say's this isn't Little House on the Prairie. I told her that some day it may be, as the world is getting crazier  cyclops  as each day passes.
rick1
rick1

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:07 pm

Went to the outdoor flea market on Sunday, picked up a few pounds of 10P and 12P nails,  also got some various size washers and carter pins.

Have a whole chicken in a dutch oven and cooking it in the sun oven. Don't want to heat up the house since it so hot and humid outside, it's down right miserable outside. I could never live down south. Can't wait for winter.
rick1
rick1

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:22 pm

I seem to be slacking, but really, I'm just doing other stuff that doesn't have to do with actual prepping. De-cluttering, mostly to minimize belongings, and to also have room for more preps.

Husband, however, is prepping a lot. His latest project is to wrap things properly in anticipation of creating a faraday cage for some of the electronics we'd like to have (at least for a while) if the grid goes down.

I got my new prescription glasses. I like the distance part of the transitions, but the reading part is simply too small. I will keep the glasses, though. I went into town today and ordered a pair of prescription reading (only) glasses for my online work and sewing.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:37 am

Today's grocery stock up was mostly foods for traveling - we're taking a 10 day trip soon.

Crackers with peanut butter
Granola bars
Trail mix
Instant oatmeal
Jello cups
Juice boxes
small jar peanut butter
Container wet wipes
Coffee in a plastic container/and instant coffee

Taking the single burner butane stove and a coffee pot with us, just in case. The GHB will be with us, of course. And pillows, blankets,and whatever else I think is necessary...of course, where we're going there's civilization, but I like being prepared. Smile
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down