Home-Made Pet Food

2 posters

Go down

Home-Made Pet Food Empty Home-Made Pet Food

Post by ReadyMom Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:32 am

An Experiment in Canning Dog Food
http://canninggranny.blogspot.com/2011/09/experiment-in-canning-dog-food.html?showComment=1334875190646#c7061028092660295564

Image When I buy a whole chicken to use in making chicken salad or chicken and dumplings, I have, in the past, simply thrown out the little "bag" of "innards"... we don't eat necks, gizzards, hearts and livers. I got to thinking about this waste, and seeing as we have a new canine member of the family (our 7 year old rescue German Shepherd, Smokey), I started reading up on the nutritional needs of the dog... it seems most (if not all) commercial dog foods contain a LOT more filler ingredients than is really healthy for dogs.

Now, I'm NOT fanatic about this, our Smokey still eats his store-bought kibble and commercially canned dog food... but after my reading, I thought instead of throwing out chicken parts and the skin and bits I have left after cooking a chicken, I'd save it up and try my hand at a balanced, canned dog food of my own.

I learned from my research that a dog's digestive system is shorter than humans and has different needs... they don't need to eat just like we do. Here's the basic "formula" I came up with...  ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Home-Made Pet Food Empty Re: Home-Made Pet Food

Post by jimLE Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:17 am

great post.I've planning on going with homemade dog food,soon as can get the needed 1/2 pint jars,seeing how i have a small dog.the chicken recipe in the blog looks like a good one.

expect the worst. Hope for the best. And capitalize on each situation the best you can..

“Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an example unto you to follow us. For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat. For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies.”
jimLE
jimLE

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:14 am

Survival Pet Food Storage: Cats & Dogs
https://www.thereadystore.com/food-storage/15573/survival-food-for-pets/

Home-Made Pet Food Cat-451377_1920   Survival food storage for pets is an absolute necessity when preparing for a crisis or natural disaster. In my household, Rocco, our Australian Shepherd, is considered just as much a part of the family as anyone else. When we sat down to create our emergency preparedness plan, we knew that his health and safety was a huge priority. At the time, we were already buying an extra bag of food. However, we quickly realized, that wasn't enough to give peace of mind.   ---CONTINUED---

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadyMom Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:54 am

Pet Food Recipes
https://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/category/recipes/petfood

Includes:

Sweet Potato Doggie Treats
Wild Bird Suet Cakes
Cheap And Healthy Dog Food
Make Your Own Kitty Litter
Almost Frosty Paws – Dog Ice Cream Recipe