2022 - JULY - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

+2
jimLE
Cinnamon
6 posters

Go down

2022 - JULY - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month? Empty 2022 - JULY - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Post by Cinnamon Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:53 pm

Started the new thread a day early, finally!

Husband and I took a much needed 2 day vacation with some friends. We enjoyed being with them and had a good time.

At home, I've been harvesting cucumbers, tomatoes, a few strawberries, and one squash. We think something is eating the squash before it matures. The peach tree is loaded. I'm hoping I get them before the raccoons. The tops of the potato plants have died, but we can see potatoes sticking out of the soil. We've found that we can leave them there for storage and eat them as we go along. We'll probably harvest a few pounds to share with neighbors. My neighbor already gave me 6 cucumbers, too.

We got a new dog. She's a year old black German Shepherd, likes the other dog and the cats around here, and is fitting in nicely. She has that regal GSD look, which can be intimidating to newcomers, which is what we intended (Shhhh, don't tell anyone she's really mellow). Because she's so young, she's rambunctious, so we have begun walking our two mile route daily again. Good exercise for all of us and calms her down for the day.

Picked up a metal book case at a yard sale and it fits perfectly by the front door as a shoe rack. I also found an antique ladle with holes in it to strain stuff when cooking.

Husband's health issues require a specific diet so I changed our way of eating. He is on a renal diet, due to kidney issues. Lots of specific veggies and fruits, lean meat, and only 30 grams of carbs per meal. He lost weight while he was in the hospital, so he's gaining it back slow. I lost 5 pounds by cutting down to those carb levels!

Our 16 year old heat pump gave out and we had to get a whole new unit for A/C and heat. We upgraded a bit for energy efficiency, and also had an ultraviolet light filter put in to cut down on mold, mildew, and bacteria. The air inside the house already smells fresher.

Beyond that, just routine maintenance and keeping up with the garden harvest is all we're doing.

Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

2022 - JULY - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month? Empty Re: 2022 - JULY - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Post by jimLE Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:01 pm

this one horse one grocery store mud hole with a 4 way stop has gotten to me.and so has some of the people.lol..so I'll start looking for a place to move to.i already found a city. there's a campground that I've camped at before.plenty of fishing holes.i think there's good hunting there, but not sure. hopefully it'll be a good idea and prep for me.

expect the worst. Hope for the best. And capitalize on each situation the best you can..

“Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an example unto you to follow us. For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat. For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies.”
jimLE
jimLE

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

2022 - JULY - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month? Empty Re: 2022 - JULY - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Post by Cinnamon Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:45 pm

I am taking care of the neighbor's dog and her garden. She said to take any produce, so I've gotten cucumbers and squash for now. She's coming home this evening so she gets her dog back. She shares all the produce in her garden anyway, so I'll get more. Smile

My garden isn't looking so hot, we've just been so busy with all the running around we've had to do. That said, I discovered that the tall weed is Indian Mallow and I plan to harvest some of it for my herbal medicine cabinet - the roots are good for kidney/liver issues, and the leaves and stems are good for a host of other issues. I'm probably dehydrate the parts and make up a paper detailing it's medicinal uses. I have herbal books that probably will tell me more, too.

Working on a commissioned quilt right now. I also made some tote bags to sell. My sister wants a long skirt, so I bought fabric for that. I've been sewing a lot lately, between errands and other work.

Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:35 pm

We are starting to harvest some of the broccoli and my wife is starting to pick her black berries... Its the start of canning season so let the games begin...

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:32 pm

Spent the week down at camp over the 4th of July. A lot of people were in over the 4th, even a couple of friends from West Virginia, talk about some old hillbilly's, but a good bunch of guys, moonshine and all.

Pulled my garlic, all came out pretty good, my son in law took care of the stock at home with no problems and he pulled my garlic there. I planted a few elephant garlic a guy had given me and it's about the size of a tennis ball. The rest of the garden is doing good, have to water it every other night, we haven't had a lot of rain and what we've had, it pours for 10 minutes and then the sun comes out.

Granddaughter had a graduation (H.S.) party, they had a guy roast a pig, pretty good eating. She'll be starting college in a couple of months to be a RN, just like her big sister who just graduated from college as an RN. She's already working for UPMC hospital, they get a $30,000 sign on bonus, $10,000 at the end of each year and they have to work for UPMC for 5 years and then they can go where ever they want too.

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blondie Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:48 pm

JimLE, right there with ya in regards to moving as Podunk is rapidly turning into Kwapland.

Serious crime is up here and I doubt it will get better. Village Idiots with a rap sheet and a meth habit.

Blondie

Dave58 and jimLE like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:54 am

Picked 5 gal black berries , 1/2 bushel green beans and 5 heads of broccoli this morning... The little woman was working me hard today.. lol

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:14 am

Dave58 wrote:Picked 5 gal black berries , 1/2 bushel green beans and 5 heads of broccoli this morning... The little woman was working me hard today.. lol

Dave, are you saying that you are hen pecked Laugh Animated

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:24 pm

rick1 wrote:
Dave58 wrote:Picked 5 gal black berries , 1/2 bushel green beans and 5 heads of broccoli this morning... The little woman was working me hard today.. lol

Yep but I wouldn't have it any other way Very Happy Very Happy

Dave58

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:56 pm

Dave58 wrote:
rick1 wrote:

Yep but I wouldn't have it any other way Very Happy Very Happy

I know what ya mean, everything your wife and my wife went through with cancer, glad to have her around and yell at me to keep me in line.

Well, we did are monthly trip to Aldi's, picked up what we needed for the next month or so. There was a little sticker shock on the potatoes, a 5 pound bag was $4.59, they had 3 different types and all were the same price. I'll get them down town, they're 2 - 5 pound bags for $4.00.

The one granddaughter (leader of the pack) had a surprise for me. She came over with about 3 pound of dried chicory root. I dug out the old grinder and she even ground it up for my coffee. This young one (12 y.o.) is going to be a heck of a prepper. I don't know why, but she sticks to me like glue when she's over here or I'm over at their house, I kind of enjoy it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:29 pm

Dave, I'm jealous of the blackberries. My sister used to pick a ton of wild ones by her house and we'd make them into jelly and pie filling...sigh. Since she moved here, no more blackberries.

I missed the window for strawberries too because of all the running around I had to do. I only have 3 jars of strawberry jam left from last year. I may have to break down and buy some from...gasp...the store...instead of the farmer's market.

We are getting cherry tomatoes and some peppers, the wild animals are eating our squash and cucumbers. And of course, I can harvest my herbs all year.

Husband and I have started doing the cleanup and maintenance we got so behind on due to all the sickness in the family and the appointments we had to keep.

Yesterday, we pressure washed all the indoor rugs, and one outdoor rug. I also shampooed half the couch and washed all the cushions.

I bought 2 put-it-together-yourself cabinets with doors on sale. I put one together yesterday to use for overflow pantry items that are cluttering my counter. I took the top cabinet space for my supplements and herbals I keep on hand for the neighborhood.

I also bought two large metal trashcans to keep the dry dog and cat food in. The new dog is larger, and so we buy more food for her. She's doing great in the family, too.

We did grocery shopping today - I'm actually spending less. Husband's new diet is so restrictive - no canned, boxed, or processed food. So basically, meats and veggies are about it. But good grief, the price on meat!!!!

I did score a milk crate for free at our dump site, and got a queen size flannel sheet set for $3 at a yard sale, so there's that.

The next couple days will be busy. We are trying to get all the maintenance and cleaning done before the next guests arrive in 2 weeks.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:58 pm

Our daughter her husband and 3 grandkids came down this morning and helped with the garden.. Just guessing we dug around 150lb of taters.. Grand daughters picked enough green beans for a canner and a few more blk berries..

If they ripen off we will have a lot of tomatoes for canning. We were very blessed this year the only thing that I had to buy for the garden plant wise was Cabbage my wife started everything else from seed we had saved from last year...

We have about 90 days left in our growing season so I am going to plant sweet corn and peas... Stay safe and keep doing the things

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:23 pm

Husband and I took the dogs on their 2 mile hike and found where one of the folks down the long, private road left a char-broil smoker out with a free sign. We came back with the truck and picked it up. Needs a little spiffing up, which Husband can do, and then we'll have a smoker.

I bought a quart of strawberries and made 6 half pints of strawberry freezer jam. Everyone loves it so I need to get my hands on more strawberries and get cracking.

I'm still getting cucumbers, squash, and tomatoes from the garden. We have a bed full of potatoes that need to be harvested, too.

Picked up a nice dog kennel at a yard sale for $20. Retails for $70. Even though I have various kennels of different types, I wanted one for our smaller dog. The ones we have are all for cats, except one, and it's too big. I need to get rid of some of them.

Still working on the commissioned quilt between errands and doctor's appointments. Made another 3 quilted drawstring bags to sell, although sales are slow right now.

Oh, yeah...took my little Featherweight machine in to get the broken needle out of the bobbin casing. And bought a Singer 301A from the repair guy! It's the guts of a Featherweight, in a larger machine. Takes the same parts and everything. I need another machine like I need a hole in the head, but it's so cool.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:35 am

Finished cleaning out and setting up spare bedroom for mother-in-law that will be joining our household next month. We'll feel much better with her under our roof as things get more unsettled out there....

Otherwise just tending the garden, picking tomatoes as they ripen and keeping up the stock levels in the larder. At least we haven't run into any missing items at the store lately even if prices are still high and inventory light.

dmwalsh568

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down