2022 - NOVEMBER - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

4 posters

Go down

2022 - NOVEMBER - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month? Empty 2022 - NOVEMBER - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Post by Cinnamon Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:20 pm

Late, as usual.

We've had a round of followup doctor's appointments because they're monitoring Husband monthly, now. So far, he is still stable, as in, the condition is still there, but due to meds, it hasn't progressed any. The longer we keep it at bay, the better for him.

Husband's been mulching leaves almost daily - we have a lot of oak trees! He's also been cooking a lot - especially soups. We've been freezing some of the larger batches, they've all been pretty tasty.

We let the garden go, but the potato bed is still producing. There are no more above ground plants, but every time Husband or anyone else goes out there, they dig up more potatoes. There's still a ton left in the ground. My sister even comes over to get some when she needs them.

The new dog is settling in, we're starting to learn her language. She's taught us her "I-want-indoors" bark, her "can-we-go-on-a-walk" nose flip, her "need-to-go-outside" nudge, and her "can-I-have-a-treat" lick. She plays fetch/ball with me most nights, but I still haven't convinced her to just give me the ball. She wants to play tug-of-war with it for a few minute before she lets me have it to throw again. Her antics have caused our other dog to want to play too, and he's getting pretty good at grabbing his ball out of the air. He brings it back, but drops it on the floor.

We're doing almost daily walks with them, but only going about a half a mile. Husband can't do much more right now. They need to go on a our old, two-mile hikes again, but I can't handle both dogs just yet - the new dog isn't really leash trained so we're working on it.

I'm still doing commissioned sewing, people are putting in orders almost faster than I can make stuff! I bought a sack of flannel, batting, stuffing, and 2 pillow forms for $50 at a yard sale. I've already used 14 yards of the flannel to make burp cloths. The shelter I intended to make the dog beds for got a huge cash donation and they bought all they needed! So I ended up just making a dog bed for one of my dogs (will make the other dog a bed later). There's still a ton of flannel left, I will probably be making something like microwave rice packs, or some quilts.

We're pretty well stocked for winter, got 3 cords of wood, ice melt, plugged in the heated outdoor cat houses for the cats, and got the vehicles serviced.

They say it will be a hard winter, are you all ready?

Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

2022 - NOVEMBER - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month? Empty Re: 2022 - NOVEMBER - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Post by rick1 Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:55 pm

Diesel is up to $6.00/gallon, glad I had my diesel filled up last month for next year.

Got all the corn cut, chopped and but away for the winter feeding.

Planted some winter wheat for next spring and got the other fields scattered with cow doo doo.

Closed up our camp, drained the water lines and so on.

Had the last 2 cows butchered, 1 was for my use.

Got 6 heifers bred for next spring, I normally only do 2 or 3, but the price of beef is way up.

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

2022 - NOVEMBER - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month? Empty Re: 2022 - NOVEMBER - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Post by dmwalsh568 Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:24 pm

Had a badly blocked ear that was affecting my balance, doctor tried to clear it but it was too badly plugged. But he suggested using Debrox to loosen it up. That worked a treat! Of course I got a whole kit, complete with otoscope so I'm ready the next time one of us has an issue with ear wax. Although I've also learned that using ear plugs every night is a good way to end up with wax blocking my ears.... Embarassed

Finally covered the strawberry bed with straw since we'll be getting a hard freeze the next few nights. And have put the ice melt buckets and shovels at each door so we're ready when things get slick.

Otherwise just religiously maintaining our stocking level of any consumables. Don't want to be caught short if the ball goes up unexpectedly.

dmwalsh568

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:32 am

Our 16 year old garden cart finally gave up to ghost. Bought a new one yesterday just in time to haul wood from the woodshed to the porch rack.

The commissioned sewing is increasing! I didn't intend this, but apparently the things I make are in great demand. Who knew?

Another person has stepped forward asking if I want their remaining fabric stash for free as they need to get rid of it...I have to look, but I'll probably take it.

We had our first light snow last night. It's a little early for here, hope this isn't a sign for a hard winter. We shall see.

Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:19 pm

Rainy, wet cold days are here. So far, though, it's not been bitter cold again. I'm sure it will start shortly, though.

I'm still sewing and sewing and sewing! I'm surprised by the feedback and orders, but it's all good.

Some of the kids will be here next week for an early Christmas and a one birthday party for a newly-minted 7-year-old.

Because of this, I must prepare. Smile. A lot of stuff went by the wayside during the sister's cancer year...so now I must catch up, rotate, declutter, refresh, refurbish, and re-stock. I started with the kitchen cabinets. Two cabinets and 1 drawer have now been successfully downsized and a list has been made to restock. There's lots more to do, but it's a start.

My brother informed me that 8 members of his family will be coming back to the States for a long visit this summer. I invited them to stay here...of course, he knew I would. Smile I will need to do some renovating of the rooms to accommodate the family.

About two months ago the new dog chewed up the old broken down recliners we've not let go of...we finally went out and bought a new loveseat recliner with a console middle and cup holders (Black Friday sale). I also bought fitted covers for it. So far, we've had it for a week and she's left it alone. The old ones were pretty ratty, and I'm sure had plenty of odors she didn't like on them. We thought she was past her chew stage as she's not chewed anything up for several weeks but this evening we left the house for a while and she decided to show her anxiety by chewing up the corners of the coffee table books - which happen to be the photo albums we've had made over the years...sigh. I suppose we'll be putting her in her kennel when we head out for short trips for now. We took her for a walk when we got home to work off some of her energy. She's a good dog, and has been a blessing for us, but we still have issues to work out. Separation anxiety is not good.

We fired up the wood stove a week ago, and then had to let it go out due to unexpected good weather. However, our week of nice has ended...tomorrow the cold starts again. I'm looking forward to cooking a nice pot of ham and beans on the wood stove, too.

The Christmas lights are up outside, now I need to get cracking on the rest of the decor...

Ya'll have a good start of December!

Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimLE Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:12 pm

I got my dog registered as a emotional support dog a while back, mainly as a support dog.but that also let's me take her places that I normally can't take her.and that's good for her and me alike, especially on the trips that take two hours or longer.. been taking folks here and there, time to time.that puts a little money into the pocket.other then that, I've been staying home.cost of living and a tight budget income does that.lol

expect the worst. Hope for the best. And capitalize on each situation the best you can..

“Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an example unto you to follow us. For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat. For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies.”
jimLE
jimLE

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down