2022 - JUNE - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

3 posters

Go down

2022 - JUNE - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month? Empty 2022 - JUNE - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Post by Cinnamon Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:29 pm

Started the new thread, late as usual...sorry about that.

It's been hectic here with all the medical issues. Everyone will be fine, it's just a matter of taking care of, and changing some diets. I'm the healthy one, everyone else is having issues.

The garden is growing great. We should have some zucchini soon. Already have radishes, lettuce, and okra from my sister's little planter pot garden. The tomatoes are popping out, still green, though.

All my exotics are doing great and the orange and lemon trees have rebounded - they had a rough winter inside, due to me being gone more often than not with those medical issues I mentioned above.

I'm slowly building my herbal supplies. Trying to get stuff that helps with said medical issues in case meds aren't readily available to us.

Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

2022 - JUNE - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month? Empty Re: 2022 - JUNE - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Post by rick1 Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:28 pm

Changed the oil in both trucks, and one tractor. Changed the gear oil in the other tractor, want to talk about oil and gear oil prices spiking higher, wow.

Cut, raked, baled and stored 10 acres of hay, the older grandson (15 yo) ran one tractor for two days in a row, saved me lots of time.

Garden is all planted, doing pretty good. Had to start to tie up my tomato plants. I cut the plastic shopping bags into strips to tie them up.

Been chilly in the evenings, been building a fire to take the chill off the house in the mornings.

All the apple trees and pear trees were full of blossoms and of course, we had a frost and it took all, but a few of them off. Not looking too good for much fruit (again) this year. That makes 2 years in a row.

I use hard coal during the coldest months of winter (Jan/Feb), it's supposed to go up to $280.00 per ton by summers end. I've been taking my trailer to camp with me, as it's only $220.00 down there. I'll hull enough for 2 or 3 years. I only use about 2 ton a year.

Stock up, it's not going to get any better under this administration, only going to get worse.

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

2022 - JUNE - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month? Empty Re: 2022 - JUNE - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Post by Dave58 Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:06 am

Changing the oil in one of my jeeps today. Going to start replacing the upper and lower control arms on another.. I have 10 gal of gas left to rotate out.. I don't use Sta-Bil in the gas and store it for a little over a year and it seems to do ok..

Over the past 2yrs I have been ordering oil and filters from Wal-Mart just to store for when things get tough. I now wish I had bought a lot more..

The garden is looking good potatoes are starting to bloom and I need to tie up my tomatoes. I use cattle panels to tie my plants to. They also work great for pole beans or anything that vines..

Dark days are coming. Grow anything you can and freeze it or put it in a jar and on the shelf.. This winter may get a little rough.......

Dave58

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:13 am

Canning Pork Butt Roast . I bought 60 lb of pork roast going to can some and make sausage out of the rest... Its is .99 lb right now if I had a bigger freezer I would buy more.. I went to Sam's club and chicken breast was $4.99 lb I never thought I would see it that high....

Better stack you food stores to the ceiling things are going to get tough

Dave58

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:08 pm

Wow Dave, that's a lot of pork.

Been working around the farm, cut, raked, baled and stored more hay, about 8 acres worth. A second cutting on the 10 acre field will need done in a couple of weeks.

Garden's doing real good, this hot muggy weather helps a lot, but about 7 or 8 days ago, it got down in the upper 40's and had to build a fire in the wood burner to take off the chill, did it for two nights in a row.

Did some maintenance on the generators, changed the oil and ran them for about 15 minutes.

Spent the last 4 days at camp with a couple of the grandkids. I took down the sun oven and made them pizza one day for supper. Put a beef roast in the next day with potatoes, green peppers, onions, carrots and some chopped cabbage. Boy was it good.

A few of the other people that have camps there come over and were amazed that the sun oven really worked like it does, city folk from Pittsburgh area. I asked them what they would do if they lost power, one woman said she would just wait until it came back on, just got to love those city folks. Laughing

The one granddaughter asked if they could cook burgers on the rocket stove for supper the next day and of course I don't refuse since they were going to do all the work. Now, that brought some questions from those city folk, so I asked the granddaughter to take them over to the rocket stove and show them how you cook on it. Those city folk were amazed at what that 12 year old girl knows about cooking and rocket stoves. I told them that all my grandkids have their own rocket stoves and they all know how to cook for themselves.

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down