2022 - DECEMBER - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

2 posters

Go down

2022 - DECEMBER - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month? Empty 2022 - DECEMBER - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Post by Cinnamon Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:40 am

Started the new thread.

I'm still sewing, this time a king-size quilt! It's hard to manage on my domestic machine but I discovered a new method of quilt as you go and it does work better for me. In case anyone is interested - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnBwdTLm4Aw I sew it in block strips and use the method. So much easier to handle and rarely have tucks either back or front!

Husband was working on the truck. It needed a new blinker light, however, he put a new one in and it's still not working. He thinks it may be the plug itself, so he ordered a part.

I had to go to town the other day and after I ran all the errands, I stopped in at the gas station...which was out of gas. Had to go to a different station to fill up the vehicle. When I got home, I was a bit spooked, so we loaded up the gas cans, and took them in to fill up. We keep several on the property for lawn mower, tractor, weed-eater, etc., but we'd used most of it and winter's coming, so some were empty and we'd not re-filled. Guess we'll have to keep them filled for emergencies.

Husband has mulched all the leaves back into the soil for winter. He just runs the riding lawn mower over them to break them down. It usually takes a few days. He did it for three days about a week apart.

Thanksgiving was quiet, just my parents and sister over. The kids are coming in at different times for Christmas so we'll have two celebrations then.

You all have a Merry Christmas, too!

Cinnamon
Cinnamon

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

2022 - DECEMBER - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month? Empty Re: 2022 - DECEMBER - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Post by rick1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:20 pm

Had $1.50 off per gallon of gas so went up to get-go with truck and 3 5 gallon cans, filled everything up.

Ran the generators, it's that time of the year where it'll be 60 today and 20 tomorrow with a foot of snow and no power.

Cleaned up a mess of garlic and put it in small jars with olive oil and placed in the frig.

Had 5 of the grandkids hunting last week, the youngest was the 11 yo granddaughter, first year hunting, she shot a doe. All got a deer the first 2 days. I'm tired of cutting up deer for the year.

Got a notice from our propane dealer, they're now charging everybody $48.00 this year and $72.00 the following years to rent their tanks. Told them to come and get theirs, I refuse to pay, we only use $80.00 of propane a year to cook with. Greedy SOB's

I have 3 40 pounders with propane, I'll just hook one of them up. The girl I talked to on the phone told me that 50% of the people are quitting their company because of the rental fee.

Ya'll have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Tree-Colored

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

2022 - DECEMBER - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month? Empty Re: 2022 - DECEMBER - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Post by Cinnamon Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:59 pm

Still working on sewing and quilting the king size quilt. It's almost done. I have a few more strips to do.

Some of the kids came for the grand-niece's birthday party, and an early Christmas. We all had a good time and took turns playing with the newest baby in our family. We will have another Christmas when the other kids can visit in two weeks.

Husband canned 12 quarts of spaghetti sauce for the kid who loves it. The canned goods are part of their Christmas present (my kids say they can always buy what they need, so prefer homemade gifts).

Well, except for one...I managed to find a used Janome Class Mate sewing machine in a walnut cabinet for $60! The machine by itself usually retails used between $200-$350! The niece needs a new-to-her machine. Smile

The truck's problem ended up being mice chewing on the wiring harness (something that happened to our 4Runner many years ago and cost some big bucks). However, the mouse only chewed one wire, that one I mentioned before leading to the front blinker! Our mechanic said that some of the wiring is "green." They began making them from a soy derivative!!! Who thought this would be a good idea for trucks in farm country? He fixed it for minimal cost.

We have 3 cords of wood for the winter, but so far, haven't needed to use much, only ran the stove for a few days before the weather warmed up again. December has been pretty mild so far. I hope it stays that way.

Our neighbor dropped by with fresh, filleted catfish. We exchange foods through the fishing and hunting season - he hunts and usually gives us a deer or two, and a portion of the fish he catches. We trade homemade pizzas and lasagna.

Another neighbor stopped by and cut everyone's hair. I traded sewing chair covers with her. Smile

Bartering is a alive and well in our little corner of the woods. Smile

Ya'll have a Merry Christmas!

Cinnamon
Cinnamon

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:34 pm

For Christmas I got the noodle-maker attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer! I also got storage containers for all my pastas. I know some women love bling for gifts (and I did get some), but I'm thrilled with my useful tools and storage gifts.

We used the wood stove this week due to the snow and ice. However, the weather is good today so we let it go out. Probably will have to re-start it in a few days.

One of our fluorescent fixtures blew and after changing out the switch, it still didn't work. Thankfully, a nearby friend figured out what was wrong and was able to fix it - a loose wire had corroded.

My brother in Germany will be coming this summer, so Husband and I are making a list of tasks and maintenance we want to have done before they arrive. Because of all the illness in the family the last two years, we've let some things slide. We'll be remedying that starting next week.

Hope you all have a great New Year!
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down