2023- November/December - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

3 posters

Go down

2023- November/December - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month? Empty 2023- November/December - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Post by Cinnamon Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:16 pm

Well, it's been so busy around here with day-to-day stuff and visitors, that I didn't notice that it is November already! So, new thread...

We're currently preparing for only one kid to show up for Thanksgiving - it was supposed to be 8 more people, but the family had to cancel because they have unexpected guests showing up at their house! So they'll come to visit us the first weekend in December. I will still make the full Thanksgiving meal and share with my home-bound parents and brother next door.

I've been sewing some stuff to sell in the little consignment shop in our little town. Bowl cozies, table topper mats, mug rugs, and some ornaments. Might do more, might not. It's mostly to get rid of fabric. Been doing a little Christmas sewing for the family and Christmas shopping, too. Smile

A new niece has expressed interest in my fabric stash, including scraps, so I am sorting through the stuff, and have already sent her one box of scraps and yardage. She is thrilled. More will be going her way as I de-stash. I also plan to sell or give away a few of my sewing machines. I'm tired of sewing/quilting, and I'm just not wanting to do it anymore. I'll keep my main machines, just in case it interests me at some point in the future, but I don't want to store all this fabric and the notions anymore. Fortunately, I've been de-stashing for years, so there's really not a lot left. Probably enough to fill a book box, or two.

Husband is still using his BBQ smoker - we enjoyed smoked chicken for lunch today. He's made jerky with sliced, on-sale London broils and it is delicious. He also got a sausage maker machine, and is now making German sausage (less fat), which is turning out wonderful. We have yet to try the sausage on the smoker, but it's coming.

Leaves are still falling, so he is mulching the yard with the lawnmower at least once a week. We've had to turn on the heater in the well-house a few times, but not every day, so far.

Most of the Christmas decorations are up, I'll probably put the tree up today (The kid coming for T-Day may not make it for Christmas, so we try to have the festive look, anyway).

We were blessed with rural fiber-optic a few weeks ago and are thrilled with computer response time - no more buffering - and our cell phone finally works out here! As one kid put it, "Welcome to the 21rst century, Mom!"

Anyway, since we did so much of the outside maintenance for the family reunion this summer, we are hoping to have an uneventful winter season.

You all have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Back to top Go down

2023- November/December - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month? Empty Re: 2023- November/December - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Post by Cinnamon Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:52 pm

Husband and I decided it was time to make an Amish store run and a Sam's Club run to stock up for winter. Flour, oatmeal, salt, sugar, 2 buckets of laundry detergent, 2 cartons of dehydrated hash browns, and miscellaneous other things filled the carts. All the dry goods mean we're set for the winter.

We've had visitors - the nephew brought his kids to our place, and his Dad and Mom decided to tag along. His Mom is Husband's sister, whom he hasn't seen in about 10 years. We had a blast with all of them.

The well-stocked, prepared freezer meals were a massive time saver with all the people here. However, I made a huge dent in the frozen meals, so now I have to re-stock the freezer with more!

The kids and I made candy (a disaster that tasted good but looked terrible), and we talked, and ate and laughed. It was fun.

I had made a bunch of sewn items to sell and they've been distributed to the consignment shops around here. We'll see how well they sell.

Beyond that, we've been enjoying the mild, but cold weather, and cleaning between visitors throughout the month. More visitors are coming for Christmas, so I need to work to get more freezer meals in, and get the linens all washed again.

Hope everyone is doing well and if I don't sign back on beforehand - you all have a Merry Christmas.

Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

2023- November/December - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month? Empty Re: 2023- November/December - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Post by Cinnamon Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:19 pm

Well, sometimes things happen to derail one - good thing we have an emergency fund.

The car needed $1200 in repairs - new window motor, struts, and 4 new tire sensors.

The clothes washer decided to really act up now (it's been hobbling along for a good 6 months). So, found a sale, plus free delivery, and we should have a new one by Friday.

I shopped online this year, I just don't feel like going out in the cold and looking over the meager offerings in our small town. I usually hand make a lot of stuff, but I've been so busy with consignments and company, it's just not happening this year. I do plan to get 3 quilts made before Christmas, we'll see if I succeed. The recipients don't know they're coming, so no rush.

Beyond the visitors, it's been quiet in our neck of the woods, except for the occasional hunter getting his/her deer.

Merry Christmas to you all and pray for our country.

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. ~ 2 Chronicles 7:14
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:24 pm

Cinnamon wrote:Well, sometimes things happen to derail one - good thing we have an emergency fund.

The car needed $1200 in repairs - new window motor, struts, and 4 new tire sensors.

The clothes washer decided to really act up now (it's been hobbling along for a good 6 months). So, found a sale, plus free delivery, and we should have a new one by Friday.

I shopped online this year, I just don't feel like going out in the cold and looking over the meager offerings in our small town. I usually hand make a lot of stuff, but I've been so busy with consignments and company, it's just not happening this year. I do plan to get 3 quilts made before Christmas, we'll see if I succeed. The recipients don't know they're coming, so no rush.

Beyond the visitors, it's been quiet in our neck of the woods, except for the occasional hunter getting his/her deer.

Merry Christmas to you all and pray for our country.

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.  ~ 2 Chronicles 7:14

Merry Christmas to you and your family.. 2023- November/December - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month? 1f385 2023- November/December - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month? 1f385

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by dmwalsh568 Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:35 am

Did a major cleanup/reorg of the basement this past week and am now filling in any gaps in my storage. Have ordered 3 cases of #10 cans from Mountain House using their 24 days of Christmas sale, and restocked OTC meds from the wholesale club.

This week will see me filling two gas cans for the snowblower/cars and continuing the restocking of the basement storage at the wholesale club (I don't like to get too much at once to stay under the radar of curious folks.)

Just trying to fill in everything before NYE - never can be sure what is coming down the pipe.

dmwalsh568

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave58 Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:02 am

We got a new drive put in. Cleaned out my work shop and bought 120lb chicken breast. Going to start canning today.

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:34 am

The kids, the dogs, the food, the fun! Family is here and we're having a blast.

I also spent 4 days refurbishing a quilt that Great Aunt Eva gave to my parents back in the 60s. Dad had asked if I could repair it. I found it in my stash 4 days ago and decided this would be a great present for him! I've been sewing every minute I could spare to get it done. The fabrics were frayed, shredded, and some blocks were completely missing. I managed to sew and patch most of the blocks back together, and backed it with batting and flannel. Finished it last night to give to my Dad today.

Merry Christmas to my EHP family - hope you all have a great day and Happy New Year, too.

Cinnamon
Cinnamon

rick1 and Dave58 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down