2023 - JANUARY - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

3 posters

Go down

2023 - JANUARY - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month? Empty 2023 - JANUARY - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Post by Cinnamon Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:15 pm

Well, I meant to turn over a new leaf and create the thread on time...oh, well.

Husband had a couple medical appointments for various things, all went well.

Everyone in the neighborhood hunkered down for the big storm, we only lost power for 2 hours. However, our electric bill was much more than expected, despite the fact we used the wood stove for the duration. Guess they raised rates, because everyone experienced the same in our area.

I scored 2 unexpired car seats for $50 for the twins who will be visiting this summer (flying in). They each retail for over $200, so I'm pretty stoked.

Influenza seems to be running through the area, several neighbors caught it, but are now over it.

Eggs were $6 for 18...not as high as California, but getting excessive. The neighbor has chickens and sells her eggs. Another neighbor is considering getting some this spring to take care of her family.

I lost a couple plants in our bonus room, due to the extreme cold. We kept the room in the 60s, but didn't go out there because of the snow cover on the back deck. I suspect it got colder than usual, despite the heater. Some were tropicals, so it was touch and go anyway. The banana tree, the avocado tree, the lime trees, and the olive tree all seem hardier, they're doing fine.

I finished and gave the king size quilt to the recipient. They're very pleased!

That's it for this week.

Cinnamon
Cinnamon

rick1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

2023 - JANUARY - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month? Empty Re: 2023 - JANUARY - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Post by Cinnamon Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:31 pm

Walmart had some square LED lanterns on sale - they're USB/battery powered, and 2 for just under $9. I grabbed some just because, even though we have plenty of assorted lights (propane battery, USB, etc). They came in handy during the power outage we experienced this week. Very bright and worked well in each bathroom.

I also found some ARCOGear sling bags that hold a water bottle, and have pockets for camera and cell-phone. Bought them for our trips when we go hiking and also got some as Christmas gifts next year.

Husband had a doctor's appointment in big city, popped in a water bottle, his book, glasses, camera, and a few odds and ends and was happy to take it with him.

We've been eating through our big freezer. I want to get it restocked and refreshed by Spring.
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

Dave58 likes this post

Back to top Go down

2023 - JANUARY - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month? Empty Re: 2023 - JANUARY - What Did You Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Post by Dave58 Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:10 am

Got a good deal on plater bacon and bought quite a bit and filled up the holes in the freezer.

Going to talk to the son-in-law about getting our garden started for us this spring its looking like I may need a new hip.

The joys of growing older lol

Dave58

Back to top Go down

Post by rick1 Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:01 pm

SNIP

Dave58 wrote:

Going to talk to the son-in-law about getting our garden started for us this spring its looking like I may need a new hip.

The joys of growing older lol

Oh, the golden years, ain't they just wonderful Dave? Hope everything turns out alright for ya.

OK, went to the farm show last week in Harrisburg, very interesting and expensive.

February 4th starts the outdoor show in Harrisburg, that's always expensive, don't know if I'm going this year.

Loaded up the back porch with firewood and brought a couple of tractor bucket loads down off the hill and stacked it. I noticed there are a couple of trees down from the winter storm we had over Christmas. I'll cut them up in the spring.

There was a guy on facebook that was selling a wood burner, along with double wall stainless steel flu pipe, thimble, braces, cap and extensions for only $400.00. I went and looked at it and bought it for a backup. I told the guy that he had more then that just in the flu. He said he just wanted to get rid of it, I was more then glad to take it for that price.

Picked up 300 rounds of  12 ga/3"/00 buck for song and a dance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:36 pm

Dave - we're in the same boat - Husband's kidney issues leave him exhausted most days. He's good for about 2 hours worth of chores, and then he must rest for a bit. He's actually accomplishing a lot, just taking longer to do it.

My sister has offered to help me with the garden. We need to take down the cement block raised beds and re-point the bricks. Plus, I want to put a cage over the whole garden, don't want the animals eating my produce this year. I'm thinking of buying one of those big chicken cages and gardening within it. I noticed the nurseries in town have already put up their hoop green houses, guess I need to get cracking on that plan.

The family coming for the reunion has 5 babies who are 2 and under. I've been scouring FB Marketplace for a diaper pail (that locks in odors) and a changing table. Scored both this week for $45 combined. The retail value was over $200.

Apparently the diaper pail can be re-purposed for cat litter box clean-up, and Husband is already eye-balling the changing table to re-purpose for some storage thing he has in mind.

We have been eating out of the freezer for the past few weeks. I want everything out of it by Spring, so that I can re-stock with foods that are better suited for Husband's renal diet.

I am also refreshing the house. Before we got the new metal roof, the hail damaged caused a leak in the corner of the bathroom's outer wall. The leak has been repaired for some time, but we never got around to painting. Last week, I cleaned and re-painted the bathroom ceiling. While it looks much better, I can see brush strokes, so I plan to run over it with a roller sometime this week.

My friend used her long-arm quilting machine to quilt a large quilt I had. She gave it back to me when she finished. I have to put the binding on, and then I think I might put this quilt on the guest room bed.

Seems like there's always something to do around here!
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

rick1 and Dave58 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cinnamon Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:33 pm

Finished a commission of quilted placemats and napkins.

Pulled all our tax stuff together to take the accountant. Apparently, certain installed HVAC units get a tax credit. I inserted the info in the tax docs.

Found out too late that our electric company gives rebates on new HVAC installs...but only within the first 90 days after installation. I sent the application in anyway. Here's hoping...

The weather has turned bitter, Husband started the wood stove. Time to get some beans on there with a ham bone!

We have a feral cat coming up...we're feeding it as it seems to be living in our woods and mousing. Always need mousers around here.

As of now, we're hunkered down waiting for a winter storm.

Ya'll take care out there!

Cinnamon
Cinnamon

rick1 and Dave58 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down